Lotus Elan - Croft Nostalgia Weekend

Name
Try work it out
Edit My Images
Yes
I spent a most enjoyable sunday at the Croft Nostalgia Weekend. Some good racing, beautiful old cars and no rain. What more can you ask for ?

This was my first time photographing racing for probably 20 years, forgotten how hard panning is. Also first time shooting cars with my 40D, having recently graduated from a 300D. Still finding all the setting somewhat confusing, especially which metering mode to use. All that said, I was quite pleased with the sequence of shots below. With another 20 years practise I may get somewhere near SRHMOTO , etc.

1. Mid spin and the rear wheel is feeling the strain.
6029667313_b5ebced5c0_z.jpg

2. The rear wheel screams "enough".
6029667695_2b5bd904b9_z.jpg

6030222502_823710a436_z.jpg

6030222946_345207c5cc_z.jpg

6029669053_cded603089_z.jpg

6. "I know have a spare somewhere"
6029670085_fc526bd0ae.jpg

Last edited:
Your shots of this came out better than mine :p

Were you the bloke with the camera that had camera armour on, a battery grip and a white L lens of some sort? Looked like a 70-200mm f/4.

DazJW
Your description sounds like me, old bloke in a black jacket. I would add grey and bald, but I had a hat on due to the Croft wind. I think I was using my 24-105 lens for the Elan shots.

Nice sequence caught there!

If I may add, just a touch over sharpened though.

Bash on (y)

Excellent sequence of shots. We were stood at Clervaux during this race and wondered what the commentator was on about when he talked about putting a wheel into the boot of the car that had gone off LOL.

Would be great to see more of your shots from the event.

Oh, and it's Simon by the way :)

Cheers,

Simon.

Some nice shots! :)

Oops on the wheel! What sort of settings were used for pic 1 ?

Being overwhelmed after reading the manual I spent the day experimenting with different settings, some worked, others well less said the better. For picture 1 I used a Canon 24/105L lens at 105mm. The camera was in TV mode set at 1/125sec; f8.0; ISO 200; WB: Cloudy; metering mode: evaluative.

Nice sequence caught there!

If I may add, just a touch over sharpened though.

Bash on (y)

I appreciate your feedback, perhaps you can help educate me further. I know next to nothing about photoshop, but I am slowing learning. I used the unsharped filter and accepted the default. From your comment I guess this was not the best thing to do! Any pointers would be appractiated.

Back