Love at first sight...

My parents met when they were 14/15 and have been together pretty much since then (they're now 60/61) and celebrated their 40th Wedding Anniversary last year. Lots of my friends comment on how rare that is these days and funnily enough, my brother and sister's in-Laws have been married a similar length of time or more!

From a personal perspective...... I think as a bloke "lust at first sight" is more appropriate. This happened to me in 2000 with a girl I worked with. Chased her like a man possessed (not literally) we got together in 2001, married in 2005, she started cheating on me in 2007 (well that's a conservative estimate) and we split up later that year. Hind sight is great..... we were friends to start with and I knew she'd had a somewhat chequred past when it came to cheating but (stupidly) thought she had/would change but obviously I was wrong.

Jump forward to 2010..... I'd been dating for a year or so but was beginning to think that the woman I was meant to be with was more elusive than a unicorn ridden by Lord Lucan!

I got introduced to a woman that had been sitting about 20ft away from me in the same office for about 6 months, if I said she hadn't caught my eye at all I'd be lying but I thought I'd be too old for her and she was out of my league. Again I was wrong (but glad I was wrong this time), we got engaged in 2011, married in 2012 and had our first child in 2014. Happier than a pig in sh*t :)

I was living with someone else when I met my now Wife. This is 10 years ago now. We worked together, and I always enjoyed her company as she was great to talk to, with a wicked sense of humour (a quality that would come in handy when Marrying me yeah yeah I know). Anyhoo, the relationship with the girlfriend I was living with at the time had hit a decidedly sticky patch when I found out that she had been sleeping around behind my back, and we parted ways pretty quickly. Ive never cheated on anyone in my life, and its something that to me, is completely unforgivable.

This obviously came up in conversation the next time I was at work, and Tina asked me if I wanted to meet her for lunch at the weekend. She made it very clear that it would purely be as 'friends' as she really wasn't interested in anything else, so I shouldn't take the invitation as such. Lunch went great. I already knew she was a great person to be around and to talk to, and she had a real knack of being able to really lift people when they were down. I think that although I wouldn't say I fell in love with her at this point, I definitely did fall in love with her personality/kindness etc etc.

We had many more meetings...which turned into dates...which turned into house hunting...which ended up with our daughter Isobel...and then Marriage. We celebrated our 2nd Wedding Anniversary back on the 17th April.

Back