Lovely lens but.....

Edit My Images
Yes
I am loving the shots I get using this lens but now seriously regret not using a UV filter:

Scratch.jpg

:bang::bang::crying:

I haven't yet noticed any marks on the images or problems with focusing etc, but I was wondering how I would go about getting this repaired??

Can anyone offer me any advice?

Ouch!
what lens is it? if its an "L" get in touch with Canon ask for a quote, If not it may cost more than the lens is worth. I never use any filters in front of the lens, but I always have the lens hood attached, so far no problems. The only problem you may get with the lens is flare if it is pointed at bright objects.

Phil

24-105 L so it is probably worth repairing. I'll get in touch with Canon and see what they have to say.

I wouldn't waste money getting it repaired. As you say, you can't see any difference in image quality.

I wouldn't waste money getting it repaired. As you say, you can't see any difference in image quality.

As BeatPoet said, you wont notice it in the slightest, so it's really not worth worrying about (just a bit annoying!).

oops.

I'd probably get it repaired if I was going to sell it, for me, since you dont see it then I wouldnt bother.

(but then In my case I'd just change the UV0 filter on the front :smug: )

Humpty, I don't think I'd bother getting it repaired either but if it were my lens I would be concerned just how the other scratches which are visible got there. It does look as though they are as the result of wiping the element before removing any grit type debris or by using a cloth that is not really suitable for the job. If that is the case, I'd have to seriously question my methods of cleaning my lens elements. I'm not talking about the large obvious scratch that you're talking about but more the finer scratches that are visible where the light has caught the front element of your lens. These may not be terrible at the moment but if the front element gets enough fine scratches on it, they could start to detract from the quality of your images. No offence meant my friend and I'm trying to dictate how you clean you gear, but I feel for you and these lenses ain't cheap.

i think i'd be gutted if that happened to mine, and i think i'd also get it repaired as it'd annoy the hell out of me.

I'd say it will cause problems with flare when shooting into light.

24-105 L so it is probably worth repairing. I'll get in touch with Canon and see what they have to say.

:(

Ouch.

Just had the front element replaced on mine - cost just over £200 (ouch again - but it's my best lens so repair was the only option)

Best of luck with the quote/repair.

Back