Low ASA 35mm Colour film suggestions?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to give black and white a rest and start shooting some colour landscapes! I'd just like some suggestions as to what colour negative films to look at so I can try a few...there seems to be plenty of slide film out there but not many negative films, especially at ASA 100....can anyone help me out? (y)

You can't really go wrong with Fuji Film, used to use the pro stuff years ago as 1) it looks cool to keep film in your fridge and 2) It was really good film.

Do you fancy giving slides a try and then process prints from slides?

i've still got about 10 rolls of the GOOD old velvia 50 in the fridge I need to use before it goes completely mental beyond the use-by date...its not too far gone at the mo but good enough excuse to get out the old film camera for a bash I reckon :)

does freezing let it live longer?

does freezing let it live longer?

Yup. :)

If colour landscape is the idea then slide film is going to be far more suited than neg. Velvia will still be the choice of most but there are some other interesting things to try out. Unless everything apart from Velvia has been discontinued now.

Do you fancy giving slides a try and then process prints from slides?

Now why didn't I think of that? :bonk: Never done slides before, but looking into it I can get a roll of slide film AND get it processed and mounted for less than it costs just to get a negative film processed locally :)

Now....what do I go for first? Velvia or Provia? Decisions...:shrug:

Now why didn't I think of that? :bonk: Never done slides before, but looking into it I can get a roll of slide film AND get it processed and mounted for less than it costs just to get a negative film processed locally :)

Now....what do I go for first? Velvia or Provia? Decisions...:shrug:

Make sure you bracket your slides :)

not sure how to do this with the camera I am using (old Pentax Spotmatic, which has no ev compensation), as i'm fairly new to this kind of thing. The TTL needle meter works fine, so what would be the best course of action to do it?

Well if you decide that f8 at 1\15th is the exposure you need. Shoot once at f8 & 1/8th, once at f8 & 1/15th and then at f8 & 1/30th. :)

Well if you decide that f8 at 1\15th is the exposure you need. Shoot once at f8 & 1/8th, once at f8 & 1/15th and then at f8 & 1/30th. :)

Could do it in apertures as well

So for example 1/100 @f5.6 is the correct exposure

You would do one over exposed 1/100@f8 and one under exposed 1/100@f4

Indeed... and if controlling movement in the shot is important then it's a must. I went for constant aperture as I was thinking DoF control would be primary. Of course that isn't always going to be the case. (y)

is there another way of doing it by altering the ISO settings on the camera? say the meter is saying its correctly exposed at 1/125, f8 @ iso100 , then take 1 at iso 50 and another at iso 150 with the same aperture and exposure? would that work too?

Yes it would. Just the same thing. :)

except the step up from 100 ISO is 200. ;)

ah. just checked the dates...start of 07 and april 07. so basically a year ago they passed their dates. think they're still ok?

So for example 1/100 @f5.6 is the correct exposure

You would do one over exposed 1/100@f8 and one under exposed 1/100@f4

Surely the F4 will be the overexposure (more light in)?

Theres a new mix Velvia 50, they stopped production because some of the chemicals in the emulsions were getting too difficult to source....or something..
Anyway, me and dazzajl complained and they've released a new Velvia 50, so no more old stock.
Jury's still out on the difference between it and the old mix, if any..
Its slow though, its all tripod, you cant shoot h/held.
Maybe Velvia 100 is possible, but it needs to be a bright day.
For all purpose I use Provia 400.

I've shot 2 Velvia 100 and 3 Provia 400 this week that need soupin
I know its sad but.....yipee:banana:

Its slow though, its all tripod, you cant shoot h/held.
Maybe Velvia 100 is possible, but it needs to be a bright day.

Rubbish, I shot 6 rolls of Velvia 50 handheld with my RB67 a couple of weeks back.

If Hoodi does that with his RB67 he's gonna get three shots to a roll of 120 film! :D

I agree you need to expose reversal film accurately. Conventional wisdom used to be to under-expose by half a stop for max colour saturation with reversal film.

If Hoodi does that with his RB67 he's gonna get three shots to a roll of 120 film! :D

I agree you need to expose reversal film accurately. Conventional wisdom used to be to under-expose by half a stop for max colour saturation with reversal film.

that is the way to go

Back