Low cost 35mm SLR for my daughter

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all

I've shamelessly joined here to ask this question.

I'd like to pick up a cheap used camera for my daughter. She's expressed an interest in using monochrome 35mm film and I'd like to pick her up a really cheap second hand camera. If she takes to it, I'll look for something better in the future. She's 14.

Any advice on models to search for with suggested prices would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

A couple I've owned and would happily recommend are the Canon eos 30 and 100 and also how about something non SLR like an Olympus Trip 35 or a Canonet QL?

Thanks Alan

It's a while since I've taken a photo with any other than my phone so a bit behind the times. Would love to teach her how to develop at home which I used to do several decades ago!

Seems some good Canon eos100 on eBay for about £50 which might be just the job.

I assumed an SLR would allow her to get another lens or two at some point....correct?

I think I have an EOS 30 or 300 in the cupboard upstairs. Just the body, no lens. If interested you can have it for your Daughter for the price of postage.
I believe in encouraging youngsters to take up hobbies!
I will have a search if you want it.

It's an EOS 300, I dont have any batteries to check it I'm afraid, (CR2) but it was working OK when I put it it away!
I'll have a look for a strap, pretty sure I have one somewhere, but I cannot find the body cap for it, but will have another look.

Thanks Alan. Good to know.

Wontolla, that would be great. Much appreciated. :) I'll PM you.

Glad I came her.

No problem Andrew, I will post it on Thursday hopefully then send postage details to you.
Not very hopeful about the body cap but a strap will be attached.

I'm a big fan of the Olympus OM1. Other than the meter, everything is mechanical so they're very dependable. Terrifically clear viewfinder and a 50mm 1.8 lens can be had for almost nothing and off you go.

Cheers Graham. going to go with Barry's kind offering and will see how that works. Appreciate the info though.

I posted it today Andrew, so it should be with you in the next few days!

@wormscoffer
I have sent you a message with payment details and the postage cost receipt.
No payment received yet.

Postage payment received, Thanks!
Hope it works out for your daughter.

A couple of batteries arrived in the post this morning and the camera seems to power up just fine. I have a three pack of 135 400ASA monochrome 36 exp films on order so just looking for a lens now.

Can I pester y'all with a couple more questions?

• 35-80 lenses seem a lot less expensive than 18-55 on eBay - is there a reason for that?
  • what lens would be good for a beginner?
  • I'm pretty sure but can't help to confirm - I need something with an "EF" fitting?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
A couple of batteries arrived in the post this morning and the camera seems to power up just fine. I have a three pack of 135 400ASA monochrome 36 exp films on order so just looking for a lens now.

Can I pester y'all with a couple more questions?

• 35-80 lenses seem a lot less expensive than 18-55 on eBay - is there a reason for that?
  • what lens would be good for a beginner?
  • I'm pretty sure but can't help to confirm - I need something with an "EF" fitting?

Thanks again.

18-55 are meant for crop sensor cameras whereas 35-80 are meant for full frame (35mm) film cameras.

Hence the price difference.

Any lens in the wide angle to short tele range. If you like primes get a 50mm f1.8 as a starting point. It's all I used for years in the 80's on a Canon FD body.

Yes, EF-S fitting are for the crop sensor digital cameras (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_lens_mount)

Back