Low Level Jets, Difficult Backlight

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
p536849896-4.jpg

Not cropped, just about managed to fit the GR4 in the in the frame!

p106762124-4.jpg

Plane was in a lot of shadow, great pass though.

Comments and critiques warmly encouraged, these got a pretty muted response on my normal aviation forum, what should I improve?

Number 1's nice, although its nice to get a nice full frame, I can't help but think that it looks a little 'crammed' in.
With regards to number 2, there's something that just doesn't 'feel' right - ie come back to these several times over the last couple of hours. I think it's the crop, the plane is moving fast left to right and for me it just needs more space to 'fly into' if you know what I mean.

I will at this though, you've done really well to shoot them at all given the backlighting, in situations like that all I can manage are shadows!!

Hope you dont mind the comments about composition - its just my humble opinion!!

Regards

Neil

Hi Rob,
Yes the 1st one is a bit tight, But credit to you for fitting it in! I actually like the lighting. It has a 'warm' feel to it.
The second one is a sort of 'inbetween' shot. I would probably crop it and have it as a canopy shot. Canopy shots can look good sometimes.
Nice to see someone shooting 'manual' up in the hills instead of opting for 'shutter'. I've tried it a few times and I know how challenging it can be when they are going from bright light to shadows in seconds.
All in all, I would say that you should be pleased with these mate. (y)

Kev.

Thank you guys.

I'm not sure what to do about #1, I could crop it similar to #2 or I could try and give it some more background by cloning from other images in the sequence - I might try both if anyone's interested.

I have to go with a crop on #2 because the aircraft more than filled the frame, however I could try to crop slightly wider, too wide and the second set of wing pods (outside edge) will start to come into the image and they'll unbalance it. If there was more light on the cockpit I'd be really tempted to go with a cockpit shot.

I appreciate the feedback Kev, Niel and erm, Penguin. Very nice of you to share your thoughts. (y)

Thoughts on this?

#2 - Wider with a slight rotation to keep the fuel tanks balanced in the shot.

p166484455-4.jpg

Can only see No 2, think because I am on a bad connection on Dongle in Morocco. I like No2 a lot. It would be nice to have a bit more wing in the shot but I would keep the rotation as is as it shows the plane is really banking over hardat low level. Great shot. Something I have still to have a go at. Soon :)

Is your usual forum UKAR by any chance...either get loads of replies there or nothing at all :(

Last edited:
I quite like the aircraft nav light on that last shot, aswell as the mountainside being illuminated through the cockpit. Heat haze from the burners, nice background blur but sharp focus on the jet. Good work.

Nice work Rob! Long time, no speak! I wish you'd have let me know when you were in the hills! I like the filled frame shots, and the light is awesome! Have you seen my a2a IVSqn shots on Flickr - very proud of myself!

Speak later,

Cheesy

Thank you for the feedback guys,

Is the second version of #2 any better than the first?

Cheesy - your A2A shots are AWESOME! I watch your flickr stream very closely!

Rob, these are great. The reason I say that is that looking at sites like Fox2, LL images are getting quite samey - the small group of die-hard togs has morphed into a huge army of guys and girls who stand in the same spots and get the same shots. I like the fact that you push the envelope with different types of shot!
All the best,
Cheesy

Back