Low light polarising filters

Name
Philip
Edit My Images
Yes
Just been reading up about low light polarising filters. Their seems to be a mixed response as to whether they are any good. Anybody used them? Would be good to hear the views of motorsport togs on the issue?

Hmmm define a "low light polarising filter" - I've seen CPL's with a reduction in f-stop by 1, 1.5 or even 2.

Some might consider "low light" as a 1 stop job.

Even 1 stop can be critical....

I have started playing with CPL for taking bikes, still work in progress.

One of the idea's for me was to help reduce the reflection on the visors, especially the clear ones. The main drawback is a lot of riders only where the clear ones in bad weather conditions - so bad light plus light loss of the CPL does tend to cause you problems:D. Its something to try this season.
The other idea was the use of one on a sunny day to allow me to shoot with a wider aperture without using to fast a shutter speed.

Like I said its work in progress and the jury's still out

I'm not a motorsports tog, but I have shot a bit of motorsports. However, to date I have not used any kind of filter for such shooting. Still, if I may comment....

I've got a Hoya HD CPL and a Marumi DHG Super CPL. The Hoya loses me 1 stop of light and adds a hint of warmth to the image. The Marumi loses 1.3 stops of light and cools the image. I prefer the Hoya. I dislike the Marumi.

If I wanted to lose some light to allow slow shutter speeds at wide apertures then I'd use an ND filter. I've got an ND8 on order at the moment. Being on the wrong side of the fence I hate having to stop down to slow my shutter. It does my head in. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the ND8. :)

Last edited:
If I wanted to lose some light to allow slow shutter speeds at wide apertures then I'd use an ND filter. I've got an ND8 on order at the moment. Being on the wrong side of the fence I hate having to stop down to slow my shutter. It does my head in. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the ND8. :)

You are right Tim, at the minute its just something Im playing with. I use one of the Nikon f2.8 primes that use the drop in filter (52mm size), I have been meaning to see if I can get a ND filter that will fit.
Does anybody know if a normal ND filter will fit into the drop in filter holder thingy?

Apparently yes, they do - but you need to be careful about the width.

Is it a case of unscrewing the filter in the holder and replacing it with a ND one?
If so that would be a right pain changing it, you would really need another filter holder.
Had a quick look and the filter is pretty tight if it is meant to unscrew, didn't use to much force just in case it doesn't.

Nah don't be a wuss :D Its no more difficult than screwing on onto the end of a lens, easier perhaps even...

Back