Low light video on a superzoom?

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
Hi, we are expecting our first child in January, and i'm looking for something to take short bursts of video, without perhaps a full-blown camcorder.

My Canon PowerShot S3 IS with it's 6MP and 12x optical zoom takes VGA 640x480 video, but the image seems grainy in low indoor light. I can't find a LUX property for the Canon, so don't know how to compare with others.

I'm interested in a Panasonic Lumix or similar with 12x or more optical zoom, but want to ensure that it will take better video.

How can i compare LUX ratings for digi-cameras please?

Thanks, Tony

Hi Tony,
I have a Panasonic Lumix FX33 (compact) and the video quality is pretty good indoors even in dimly lit rooms so and higher spec one may do the trick.
I also have my Fuji S100fs which is excellent for video ok not HD but very clear and fine in dimly lit rooms, although it is slightly more grainy picture than the Panasonic.
You can get some cheap mini digital camcorders that will do a much better job so really your best bet is to check out your local camera shop and watch places like Argos for big reductions on their mini camcorders

Back