Low res images..Be careful.

This is a image I had printed myself to see what it would look like.

The quality is scary good. But then it wasn't that long ago that half the PC owners ran at 800x600 resolution as standard. Perhaps we have all gotten caried away with high res and huge megapixels. I often read in here in new camera threads that megapixelss don't matter. This kinda proves it.

Tony

This is a image I had printed myself to see what it would look like.

MD

MD, any chance you could do as a big favour? Print the full res one at the same size, put them both at the same distance, and let us know how far back you are when you stop to see the difference :) Would be very cool too if you did the same test at 6x4, 12x8 and any other common sizes. As a reward for the effort, I will get you pished if you ever visit EDI!

G.

MD, any chance you could do as a big favour? Print the full res one at the same size, put them both at the same distance, and let us know how far back you are when you stop to see the difference :) Would be very cool too if you did the same test at 6x4, 12x8 and any other common sizes. As a reward for the effort, I will get you pished if you ever visit EDI!

G.

I will do that for you buddy.. But will be a while as it was printed at loxley.. " I dont print anythinig at home"

Also I have just been playing.

800x533
10_web.jpg

And a crop from the same shot resized to 800x533

10_web_CROP.jpg

MD

Gary not sure you know how much i drink Lol....

You know, it would be less obvious that it's low res on a canvas and I know that alot of places will now link your facebook pictures to their site and you can print your facebook pictures.

The image is actually fairly good, as the low res isn't going to be noticed at most viewing distances.

I don't really care about pictures but if either of you are in the south west I open my spirit cupboard to you :D

Just goes to show you don't need jaw-dropping resolutions to make decent prints..

I've had a few prints made from my 5D mk II for my wall at home. Using a pro service that requires jpegs sized at 300 dpi, I've had to reduce the resolution of my 5D2 files to prepare them for printing! :wacky:

A.

There's a place in the nearby Shopping Centre that prints to Canvas "while you wait" and a lot of the photos are from various social networking sites.

Even seen a couple with Watermarks on (in lower corners)...so in the interest of helping out, I've informed them that they shouldn't be printing watermarked photos.

I've also had problems in the past with autograph dealers using photos I'd shot and they'd lifted directly off the net at low res.

That one resulted in a big legal debate afterwards...

If people get it for free...they'll accept a drop in quality.

I think the canvas printing stalls need to get in touch with their local photographers (or vice versa) and discuss how they can reach a "mutually acceptable" arrangement.

I think the canvas printing stalls need to get in touch with their local photographers (or vice versa) and discuss how they can reach a "mutually acceptable" arrangement.

Why though? Unless someone successfully sues them, and not the original client, why should they care? I know it sucks, but not sure if you can realistically expect those in the print industry to care too much.

G.

Why though? Unless someone successfully sues them, and not the original client, why should they care? I know it sucks, but not sure if you can realistically expect those in the print industry to care too much.

G.

Hmmm...true enough I guess. It could always lead to more business for both parties if its done right though!

Bloody hell I cant believe the quality in the low res photos. I was warned about this only this morning that my watermark images were very easy to clone out.

The real question which I suspect no one can answer is would the people who pinch the images otherwise pay for them? if not then you are not actually losing any income! I suspect many will take them for their facebook image then replace it next week on whebever. If they couldnt pinch it they probably wouldnt be fussed as they dont put much value on a photo anyway.

back to econmics lessons, would you sell more if you priced lower and therefore make more money? Supply and demand really is underneath all this....

two things here:
1. economics lessons: below a certain price it doesn't make a difference for event photography - it does not increase demand linearly: i.e. half the price = double the sales. This is not true.
Conversely - if we consider photos to be a "luxury" product as defined in economic terms - with it's inverse response curve - an increase in price does not increase demand.

Basically, if they want the picture - they will buy it. If they really want it they will pay silly money (ref: marathonphotos). If they want the image, just to show a friend (i.e. pointing something out in a shop window to a friend) they don't think anything of copy and paste (i.e. shoplifting) - because it is so easy.
The trouble is that with photos - showing them to others is the intrinsic value of the image!

So I think it comes down to how valuable that moment and memory was to that person, and also to a certain extent how much that person values themselves. Which as self-employed people - we know how easy it is to undervalue oneself all too easily.

So - don't drop prices to just work twice as hard for the same money,(that would be silly) and don't increase prices to reduce sales to all but the most special of moments for "Must have forever" purchases.(again - a bit daft)
Find a good price point, with a bit of life balance and throw in a reasonable living to be made from it if you do a fair days work, and there you go.

What you can do is a reasonable amount of above the line and below the line marketing to emphasise how important a moment that was, and also how valuable they are. And that might just get them to buy it, instead of stealing it. because "they're worth it" as the shampoo advert goes...

There is a reason that parents buy more pictures of their kids than people do of themselves. Parents value their kids and know how special the moment is ! (plus - just think of the costs they have sunk into the whole enterprise!)

Back