Review Lowepro Orion Trekker II (what will fit in it)

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I was asked in the chatroom late last week "What will fit in a Lowepro Orion Trekker II ?" . Well as they say " A picture Paints a Thousand words".

Three pictures , the bottom loaded , what was in the bottom and what was in the top. There was still room in the top area with plenty more space in the pockets for odds & ends but I got bored looking for stuff :)

The bottom loaded :-

camera%20in%20bag.jpg

What was in the bottom :-

camera%20out%20of%20bag.jpg

What was in the top :-

contents%20of%20top.jpg

In total :-

30D , kit lens , nifty-fifty , flash gun , two filters , lens pen , 28-300 + hood , 3 x memory cards , 2 x spare batteries , manual , note book , 2 x drinks , 4 x food bars , glucose bar , hat , waterproof coat , ear plugs & a gameboy micro.

None of the stuff was jammed in and it still felt comfortable to wear , well worth the £35 (y)

Ps. apologies for the duvet cover ;)

Nice little review.

You couldn't take a picture of the top compartment filled could you? I want to gage how much space there is.

Thanks.

Also: Is it safe enough to carry all the gear in a bottom compartment, particularly when putting the back down on the ground etc. I guess it should have padding on the bottom.

this week i've fit in the bag

350D
Kit lens
10-20mm
Nifty fifty
70-300mm
Lowepro Filter Case
Cokin P wide angle adaptor
Cokin P Adaptor
First aid Kit
Lunch
Head torch
Normal Torch
Jumper
Scarf
several spare batteries and CF cards

Nice little review.

You couldn't take a picture of the top compartment filled could you? I want to gage how much space there is.

Thanks.

Also: Is it safe enough to carry all the gear in a bottom compartment, particularly when putting the back down on the ground etc. I guess it should have padding on the bottom.

can't really get a good shot of the top with it filled , if you open it fully then the stuff will fall out :). The bottom has pretty good padding , my gear feels safe in it (y)

Another idea of what will fit in the top (that bag has a 300D + kit lens in)

contents.jpg

The top open

open.jpg

Ah, that last picture there is very useful, doesn't look like there is as much room as i wanted really.

I'm going travelling to Europe and Japan this year and I'm hoping to find a bag that can store all my daily stuff (basically everything except clothes) and also take my camera gear. I'm wondering now if i should maybe just get a good sized bag for the camera (like a toploading bag) and a normal backpack to put it all in.

Hmm, decisions decisions.

My wife got me a Orion Trekker II the other week...

Over the weekend I was at Bramham taking photos at the horse trials...

This is what I got in mine...

Nikon D2h camera
Nikon 24mm f/2.8 D lens
Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8 D lens

On the sliplock attachment loops on the outside I fitted a Lowepro lens case 4 to fit my Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 D lens. On the belt I fitted a Lowepro film organizer to put my flash, spare batteries and compact flash cards. Some food and water was in the top.

Good value of money I say !

Paul

Thanks for the pics all !

Really helped. A bit too late for me in fact... Mine arrived today.

But by the review, looks like I should easily fit my EOS 20D, 18-55mm KIT lens, Sigma 24-70 and Canon 70-300 IS.

MichaelPlace - I notice you said you can fit a 70-300 in it... is that attached to the Camera?

I've just been looking at that bag on the net

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/photo/lowepro/trekker.html

Seems decent, I can't see your photo's but seems to fit what I would want in it.

I have D40 - 18-55 & 55-200 lenses. Probably also take a spare battery.

Would be taking it on my motorbike so is the top compartment enough for wallet/keys water stuff like that. Also ideally another visor for my helmet.

Good that it fastens round the waist also.

Noticed you can get Manfrotto MN 715B Tripod with the bag for £80. Is it a good tripod? I bought a cheapy one from Jessops 1/2 price £12.50 its not sturdy it moves when u press shutter and the connection to the camera is a screw on thing that screws to camera then to tripod. I knew this when I bought it but it's just akward. Seem to remember a Manfrotto tripod at Jessops for about that money and it was very sturdy.

What is a "dovetail" quick release? Tripod I had years ago you sat the camera on the tipod and screwed it tight, then unscrewed it to release.

Thanks

I can't find the photos that I took of the bag loaded but the bottom will hold a 30D with 28-300 fitted , 50mm 1.8 , 18-55 and assorted batteries filters etc. The top is big enough to hold a cycling helmet and my Shoei visor fits in with ease.

//edit//

www.digitaldepot.co.uk are doing just the rucksack for £34.90

Back