Review LowePro Slingshot 100AW

Edit My Images
Yes
Just got this today, so I thought I'd post up some photos for anyone who might be thinking of getting one.

100AWFront.jpg

First of all, it seems comfortable just trying it on but I guess I can only tell once I've used it for a full day. You can adjust the strap lenth so it sits comfortably on your back. It's designed so you can only carry it on your back with the strap over your right shoulder. You can't swap it to the left shoulder if your right starts to ache. :(

The little compartment at the top is not going to be much use. You'll just about fit a can of Coke in there. I guess it'll be good for filters or a lens hood.

100AWSide.jpg

It's pretty small, but it's just the right size for me to take on a day trip. (y) I'm able to fit my 350D with the 17-85mm attached as well as the 10-22mm and 70-300mm IS snugly. It won't fit the 350D with the 70-300mm attached.

100AWInternalFront.jpg

The opening to access the camera is on the side so you can just pull/slide it from your back to the front and take the camera out without having to remove the bag from your body. There's also a pocket sewn into the flap for you to put extra memory cards or whatever that might fit in there.

100AWSideOpening.jpg

There is some "headroom" left so it might just fit the 350D with battery grip attached (maybe!).(Edit: Having looked at Bachs' review of the BG-E3 battery grip here, it looks highly unlikely it will fit with the grip attached.)

There are two buckles on the front to the side where the camera compartment opens to prevent the compartment flap from opening fully accidentally and allow the contents to spill out when you are accessing this strapped across the front. Pretty smart! (y)

Very nice - I was thinking of something like this for myself - what did you pay for this one if you don't mind me asking?

I bought this from Jessops online when they had a "lunch time" special last Friday. I got it for £22.49 + £3.49 shipping. They might do it again, so just keep checking their website daily for their lunch time specials. ;)

Good review, think you covered all the features well. Looks like it was designed precisely for your gear (to the mm) perfectly stores your lenses :D

(y)

Yup, that's me from 10mm to 300mm in one snug bag. :LOL:

Even more amazed at the price, just noticed what you paid for it - absolute steal at that price, I'll be watching just incase the offers ever repeated :D

(y)

I have the 200 version, slightly more room inside. I use the pocket on top for tom tom, purse and mobile phone while out. Took this to chester zoo with me for the day, and to bolton abbey when we went there, no problems with wearing it all day, nice and comfortable.

sue, maybe you can post some pics of the 200AW up for comparison. ;)

Job for tomorrow then I think, but will do.

For something slightly larger ... and that will fit sandwiches, crisps, chocolate AND a can of coke in the top ... try the 200 AW ... (y)

Does me with the D200 + 80 - 400mm; three more lenses; Speedlight; plus loads of other bits & bobs like mem cards, cleaning cloths, spare batts etc., ... recommended for those who want just a bit more kit on a day ... and a half decent lunch ... :D

You can also get additional specailly designed pouches to fit on the numerous slip type fittings for additional lenses/phones/water ... etc., ... :eek: ... it can get a tad heavy though ... but with the big wide strap stays very comfortable on a day trip ... imo ... :D

Only thing with these packs imo ... they cannot do the tripod piggy-back thingy ... ;)

Oh ... and they can be picked up for around £50 ... ;)

:p

If only this thread existed before I bought the bag, I might have just gone for the 200AW instead. :LOL: You've sold it to me, mr green!

hehehe. Too late by then! I already placed my order. I'm happy with the 100AW anyway. (y)

Is there enough room for a Nikon D2H camera ???

Thanks,

Paul

Yes, awesome bag especaiily at the price you paid. Jessops (quite rarely!) have some good offers.

Just my luck: I bought the 200 just before they announced the 300. doh!

Ok, here's a photo of my 100AW after repacking tonight :geek: Thought it might be handy if anyone was thinking about one.

The bag - attached on the bottom left is a small LED torch and a cheap compass. Handy when wandering aimlessly whilst taking photos (y)

04080003_G.sized.jpg

Front outer pocket: 4 Kood P filters, P filter holder and 52mm adapter, front and rear lens caps, microfibre cleaning cloth.

04080005_G.sized.jpg

Top outer pocket...

04080007_G.sized.jpg

...holds: Battery charger and mains lead, second battery, front and rear lens caps (yes, another pair!), bubble level, flash stand, eyepiece cover...

04080008_G.sized.jpg

...and this lens wrap which I've used... erm... never :)

04080009_G.sized.jpg

Inside the swing bit - that's my D50 with the standard strap. Soon to be replaced with an Optech Pro.

04080010_G.sized.jpg

The money shot: D50 with 18-55 kit lens attached. 55-200 kit lens top-right. 52mm circular polariser in the weeny padded gap between camera and edge. Sto-fen diffuser in front of that. Tamron 90mm macro and SB-600 flash on left (with Morrisons microfibre cloth for extra padding).

04080011_G.sized.jpg

I also clip my Gorillapod SLR down one of the Sliplock bands.

wow. unclerichy, you seem to be able to get more stuff in your 100AW than I can. haha.

Ive got a 100AW, which ive had for a week or two now. So far ive found it very good for little walks, and for carrying my D40x to and from where im going to be shooting. However last weekend I pushed it further than it was designed. I packed it full of my equipment, and even stuffed a drink and some food in there, and to top it off I used some adjustable straps to attach a tripod to the back. I then walked about 8 miles along the beach. Although not too bad, I begun to hurt after a while due all the weight only being on one shoulder. Its also not very practical having a tripod strapped to the back, as it gets in the way when swinging the bag to the frontal position. So if your after something to keep you going for a full day as opposed to a couple of hours out, then i'd look at something bigger with two straps. I now could do with some sort of hybrid camera+daysack, with enough space to keep a jumper and lunch in etc.

Bought a 100AW but found it too small for my need though slinky and compact so have returned it to jessops and got a 300AW but feel that it's slightly big for my needs, so gonna get a 200AW which I think should fit my needs.

Bought a 100AW but found it too small for my need though slinky and compact so have returned it to jessops and got a 300AW but feel that it's slightly big for my needs, so gonna get a 200AW which I think should fit my needs.

Better make your mind up before they bring out a 250AW and you have to decide again :LOL:

:D :D :D

Now I have had my bag just over a month now I think I will give my verdict on how good this bag is.

First of all the price, I paid the Currys price for it so was £50, should have looked around first as I could have got it cheaper but needed a back urgently.

Second of all, the gear I have in my bag. In the top compartment I have a centon flash gun, usb cable for camera, polarising filter for the 70-300mm lens and 2 sandisk memory card cases with 3 x 2GB memory cards shared between the 2 cases.

DSC01742Medium.jpg

In the bottom compartment I have 3 packs of AA batteries for the flash gun, a lens cap and some cloths.

DSC01741Medium.jpg

In the main compartment I have the D50 with the 28-70mm lens attached, the 70-300mm lens, 3 batteries for the camera, a polarising filter for the 28-70mm lens, a remote release and a lens hood for each lens.

DSC01743Medium.jpg

The bag got a good test at the Roger Albert Clark rally and I was suprised how comfortable it was and how well it protected my gear from the weather. Had no problems at all over the 3 days I was out in the forests snapping away at rally cars.

Took the bag to Leeds with me last weekend and again no problems and still felt comfortable on my back.

The only problem now is if I buy any more gear then I won't have room to fit the new stuff in this bag so might have to upgrade to the 200.

PS sorry about the quality of the pictures, they were taken on my camera phone.

I use one of these, and with some rearrangement of the velcro sections you can fit a 400d with battery grip and a small/medium lens in no probs. I really like this bag, and wish I'd gone for the 200aw.

I love the waterproof cover built inside it as well - it's superb in the wet.

Back