LP-E6 batteries for Canon 5DIII - OE or what's going on?

Edit My Images
Yes
The pile of OE and aftermarket batteries I've fed through a gripped 5DII have never shown me any problems. I've had the camera and grip from new and though it's possible that not all batteries have always given me identical life performance it has never been an issue.

I recently added a 5DIII and a battery grip, sourced from different sellers and though they came from different sources and one has been more loved than the other, they work together just fine.

Except that there's what I can only describe a battery compatibility issue: a combination of oe and aftermarket batteries occasionally throws an error code "camera can't communicate with left (or right) battery: continue with the other? Y/N?"

If I take the grip off each battery fitted into the 5DIII works fine.

If I pair up the oe batteries and the aftermarkets I don't get any error codes but I don't know if I have fault with an individual battery or whether it's maybe the grip or even the camera. I find it easy to imagine that the 5DIII is more finicky about its power source.

If the answer is a new pair of batteries do I stick with Canon branded and boxed?

What you are seeing is probably one of the pins are not contacting in the grip if you don't insert them really well. May also want to give all contacts a good clean.

That's what I would do before anything else that involves spending money.

Back