LR cc and LR Classic

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
How are people getting it to work

I been doing quite a bit in LR cc on iPad. Yesterday I decided to load up classic on Mac as wanted run some through plugins.

They appears in LR classic fine. I though I set up a file structure in classic and moved some over when I did this they all vanish from
Cloud and classic I was hoping they get stored on the local HD. But I did notice the thumbnails having a arrow on top right

Last time I tried iPad and Classic didn’t really sync, you could transfer back and across with edits etc but folder structures didn’t.

For full mirroring you need to use LR CC on your Mac.

I'm running a bit of a hybrid setup at the moment syncing between my phone and Lightroom Classic on my laptop. My main machine is still my laptop but sometimes if I'm out and about or know I'm going to be away from home for a few days I'll import my raw files to my phone and start editing. I work on Windows machine so some of the terminology given below might be slightly different if you're on a Mac

Make sure you import the raw files into an album on your ipad, this will make the subsequent file move on your laptop much easier. I let the raw files upload from my phone overnight, then the next day open Lightroom Classic on my laptop.

You'll see a section under Collections in Lightroom Classic called "From Lightroom CC". This is where the album you created on your iPad will end up. Let Lightroom Classic download all the raw files, and you'll have an album sitting there with all your edits and everything else carried over. Now, if you want to move the raw files, create a blank folder in your usual folder structure, and add this folder into Classic.

Go back to your collection synced from Lightroom CC, select all the files and drag them to the new folder you just added. This will physically move the raw files on your HDD to the new location. I then create a new collection and re-sync this with Lightroom CC to get the smart previews uploaded into the cloud (as smart previews don't count towards your cloud storage limit). Once you've done all this you should be able to delete the original album from your iPad.

I hope that makes sense. It's quite complicated as CC and Classic aren't technically supposed to work together but it can be done. Also make sure you've got backups of everything before you delete the originals from Lightroom CC on your iPad, just in case it goes wrong!

I'm running a bit of a hybrid setup at the moment syncing between my phone and Lightroom Classic on my laptop. My main machine is still my laptop but sometimes if I'm out and about or know I'm going to be away from home for a few days I'll import my raw files to my phone and start editing. I work on Windows machine so some of the terminology given below might be slightly different if you're on a Mac

Make sure you import the raw files into an album on your ipad, this will make the subsequent file move on your laptop much easier. I let the raw files upload from my phone overnight, then the next day open Lightroom Classic on my laptop.

You'll see a section under Collections in Lightroom Classic called "From Lightroom CC". This is where the album you created on your iPad will end up. Let Lightroom Classic download all the raw files, and you'll have an album sitting there with all your edits and everything else carried over. Now, if you want to move the raw files, create a blank folder in your usual folder structure, and add this folder into Classic.

Go back to your collection synced from Lightroom CC, select all the files and drag them to the new folder you just added. This will physically move the raw files on your HDD to the new location. I then create a new collection and re-sync this with Lightroom CC to get the smart previews uploaded into the cloud (as smart previews don't count towards your cloud storage limit). Once you've done all this you should be able to delete the original album from your iPad.

I hope that makes sense. It's quite complicated as CC and Classic aren't technically supposed to work together but it can be done. Also make sure you've got backups of everything before you delete the originals from Lightroom CC on your iPad, just in case it goes wrong!

This is a fantastic write up and I follow it perfectly and it all makes sense how it works will give this a go later

This is a fantastic write up and I follow it perfectly and it all makes sense how it works will give this a go later

Glad it makes sense! Just make sure you've got a second copy of all the raw files before you delete the album on your iPad, as this will remove them from the cloud storage as well. I've done this a couple of times now and it's worked perfectly for me though.

When I delete from iPad how do I get the smart preview back on it

When I delete from iPad how do I get the smart preview back on it

This is the last step. Once you've moved all your raw files around in Classic to get them in the correct folders, create a new collection in Classic and sync this with Lightroom CC. This will leave the raw files on your laptop HDD, but sync the smart previews to the cloud so you can still edit them on your iPad without using up your cloud storage. Once you've done this you can delete the original album from your iPad.

I only have 20GB of cloud storage so I have to use it wisely, but I've got over 10,000 smart previews synced to CC without using any of it.

Perfect just what I want cheers pal

Back