LR - Getting the JPG preview processing from RAW?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Using the Leica SL in Lightroom, the JPG preview which shows before the RAW renders looks pretty awesome and I'd like to use that.

It's a long shot I guess, because it probably only exists in the camera's JPG engine - but is there a way to replicate this, that isn't manual and frustrating? :)

I have shot in RAW only.

If you install something like dcraw, I think you can use that to extract the embedded jpg. Whether it works on Leica raw, I don't know, but probably not too much of a hassle to try.

dcraw -e <raw file name)> , can use wild cards etc to process whole directory. Looks like it does support Leica.

One word of caution - Fuji at least don't embed a full size jpg - their preview is 1920 × 1280 rather than the full size 6000 × 4000. Would be interesting to know what Leica do.

dcraw -e <raw file name)> , can use wild cards etc to process whole directory. Looks like it does support Leica.

One word of caution - Fuji at least don't embed a full size jpg - their preview is 1920 × 1280 rather than the full size 6000 × 4000. Would be interesting to know what Leica do.

Processing a whole directory, isn't going to be easily manageable - as I'd have to find each file I've gone with and then there is no long term solution :(

Processing a whole directory, isn't going to be easily manageable - as I'd have to find each file I've gone with and then there is no long term solution :(

Not sure I follow.

If you organise sets into folders, you could run dcraw -e *.RAF and it will generate individual jpg files named to match the raw file.

Possible alternative would be to setup dcraw as an external editor in say Lightroom, and then sync the folder?

How do you want it to fit into your workflow? Dcraw source is available so not too much of an issue to alter file handling aspects if needed.

Not sure I follow.

If you organise sets into folders, you could run dcraw -e *.RAF and it will generate individual jpg files named to match the raw file.

Possible alternative would be to setup dcraw as an external editor in say Lightroom, and then sync the folder?

How do you want it to fit into your workflow? Dcraw source is available so not too much of an issue to alter file handling aspects if needed.

It'd be nice if I could just make it into a preset, preserve the use of RAW file and make it look like the embedded thumbnail.

All my raws are in folder by date, when I've cut down 2000 to 100, this is only reflected in lightroom not in the file system - but as you say sounds like there are still options.

I'm going to see if I can replicate the look with LR first, the embedded thumbnail has given me a good way to compare.

thanks

Under "Profile" in "Camera Calibration" do you have the in-camera settings?

I think it depends on camera and version of Lightroom but in CC I can see all the Fuji in-camera settings. You can then apply it batch on import if it's there, and also apply it to any existing images either as a custom preset, or by doing one and then a big sync.

E.g. (for Fuji X-T1) I see...

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Under "Profile" in "Camera Calibration" do you have the in-camera settings?

I think it depends on camera and version of Lightroom but in CC I can see all the Fuji in-camera settings. You can then apply it batch on import if it's there, and also apply it to any existing images.

E.g. (for Fuji X-T1) I see...

View attachment 101885

Only Embedded and Adobe Standard.

Embedded is not a match.

I just heard I can create a DNG profile from an image...looking into what that means and how it can be done.

i1Match software.. Oh I need to buy it and get a board.

Last edited:
Talking rubbish... Deleted...

A preset is probably the way to go. The adobe standard will be ignoring any in camera settings you might have changed, so if you've dropped shadows etc in the camera settings, it's a fair staring point to reflect similar changes in a preset.

Adobe standard is always horribly flat!

Congratulations, that's a great image.
I'd just like to comment on the general impression given by your question, which is fairly widespread. People often talk about jpgs looking better than the initial processed raw image. The inference is that the jpg is somehow better, (but I'm not suggesting that is your opinion). However whereas a jpg is ready for printing, (although you can somewhat alter them if you wish), a raw image MUST be processed in order for it to be usable. I suggest the aim is not to make a raw image look like a jpg, but the other way round, i.e. a jpg should should ideally match a correctly processed raw. That is not possible for many reasons, among which are due to the restricted colour space, contrast etc of the jpg embedded in the raw data.
I realise this was not the point of your original question,
the JPG preview which shows before the RAW renders looks pretty awesome and I'd like to use that.
but a correctly processed image based on raw data, has to be better than a jpg, whether it's in LR or PS. Furthermore, haven't you achieved something more pleasing to you than trying to copy the jpg! :)
By the way, I'm still struggling to master the techniques required!
Again, congratulations on a great shot.

I've probably missed where this was suggested and obviously no use after the fact, but can you set the camera to raw+jpeg?

You will need to poke round the options in Lightroom and tell it to import them as well as by default it ignores them.

I've probably missed where this was suggested and obviously no use after the fact, but can you set the camera to raw+jpeg?

You will need to poke round the options in Lightroom and tell it to import them as well as by default it ignores them.

It slows down the camera, fills buffer, and I'd rather not have to juggle two files.

I also want the edit power of the RAW with the JPG colours, so just using jpgs may not cut it for me.

That's fair, just throwing it out there as an option

BTW I know what you mean, the lovely preview just disappears when it renders, on Fuji (ACROS not withstanding) it's easy enough to get back as mentioned above but only in Lightroom as far as I know, certainly it would be nice to have real access to it on a toggle key or similar

The big benefit of using dcraw above was to give me a persistent point of reference whilst I processed my own RAW to taste

Back