Review Luminar AI

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
A quick first impressions review of Luminar AI:

The app has lots of options. The first part is called Templates and is clearly geared towards either beginners or someone in dire need of saving time... You quickly get lost in there if you want fine and well defined control.
The second part or "Edit" presents a lot of similar sliders as found in Lightroom. I would say one does better in some areas and vice versa but LRC is better laid out and more intuitive at least to me. The histogram is not enabled by default and is tiny... Even worse there is no proofing mode that I can find making it pretty useless, except perhaps when starting from a well defined TIFF file.

As a current LRC user I didn't download it to try out the basics. The interesting part was the AI. Sadly in my view it failed to live up to the expectations. The promised SKY AI V2 is missing and one is instead presented with the old V1 version which is in my opinion just making a complete mess. V2 is perhaps coming at some point in 2021 if they can make it happen at all (they literally promised the moon on the stick and it will hard to deliver). So forget sky reflections for now. This is one edit I can't figure out in Photoshop, particularly where there are ripples and other movement.
Augmented sky is very gimmicky. Sun rays perhaps could be useful. I'm not sure on that one as not many images are suitable for it. It shouldn't be hard to achieve the same effect in Photoshop. Finally, it failed miserably with the fog / mist AI on a reflective Elan Valley landscape image. Forget AI mist on the lake. All it does is brighten and reduce contrast over very large portions of image. Edit: the latter two can be quite effective specifically in the forest scenes, but may also introduce some imperfections or artifacts. I'm not sure if that alone is worth the money

I understand this all sounds very negative, and it is from my position. Your mileage may vary. I want to be clear it applies to Luminar AI v1.0.0 and hopefully the updates will bring the needed and promised improvements.

In short:. It is NOT some miracle solution that will generate pixel perfect photorealistic AI masterpieces in one click. It is also not a 1:1 Lightroom replacement, but in some respects may be quite close.

However, it may suit certain groups of users looking for a quick and effective image processing, beginners, or perhaps those seeking non-subscription based RAW processor as an alternative to Adobe.

Notably the company is now pushing everyone to buy the software with theoretical 30d refund window and the 7d trial option is hidden very deep. The main point is: I very strongly urge anyone interested to get the free trial and make your mind up before parting with the cash.

Last edited:
I already have Luminar 4 their is nothing I have seen in AI which will make me upgrade at the moment, I say upgrade, but really they are supposed to be to separate programs, I downloaded the trial of AI and as I say nothing for me there yet, from what I can see a few of the same controls/modules just renamed.

Anthony Morganti gives a good comparison of both programs here
View: https://youtu.be/aAd_FZfUMwo

Last edited:
I found luminar stuff to be mostly gimmicky. IME they have constantly over promised and under delivered with no real meat. They pushed so hard at being LR's alternative without subscription and never even came close to it. All in all I am disappointed by this company and their software.

Incidentally, you can still buy the Aurora HD and Luminar 4 bundle for under £20 until Jan 6th:
I assume support of Luminar 4 will soon be discontinued, but it's a cheap way of trying out their stuff.

Last edited:
I found luminar stuff to be mostly gimmicky. IME they have constantly over promised and under delivered with no real meat. They pushed so hard at being LR's alternative without subscription and never even came close to it. All in all I am disappointed by this company and their software.
Same here. They’ve been promising a speed improvement for 4 for ages and it’s never materialised. Now all resources on AI. I’m using ON1 at the moment but when I get a new Mac mini I think I’ll go back to Lightroom

Last edited:
JMO but they are ripping there customers off in a big way.
People bought into the program from the start and have stayed with it in the buying of upgrades to ver4 now all of a sudden Luminar is being discontinued after ver 4 and not only that but all support for ver 4 will cease after one year, many people over on the Luninar forum site are not happy as some of Luminr 4 cannot be transfered over to Luminar AI also Luminar AI is being sold as a new product so you cannot upograde from Luminar 4 to AI, Topaz did the same after promoting there original software as upgrades free for life then changed the name with AI at the end so stated it was a new product again IMO all very under handed by both companies but people will still buy and keep them going. Russ.

JMO but they are ripping there customers off in a big way.
People bought into the program from the start and have stayed with it in the buying of upgrades to ver4 now all of a sudden Luminar is being discontinued after ver 4 and not only that but all support for ver 4 will cease after one year, many people over on the Luninar forum site are not happy as some of Luminr 4 cannot be transfered over to Luminar AI also Luminar AI is being sold as a new product so you cannot upograde from Luminar 4 to AI, Topaz did the same after promoting there original software as upgrades free for life then changed the name with AI at the end so stated it was a new product again IMO all very under handed by both companies but people will still buy and keep them going. Russ.

I don't know topaz history but I do have three of thier AI software. When I bought it I was promised free updates for life but last year they changed that. If I want updates I need to pay them extra for a year of updates but I can choose to do so only when I feel I want one of the updates they release.
I wasn't pleased with the change but at the same time I did wonder if they could keep their business going for a long time if they were giving away updates for free forever. So I wasn't least bit surprised by thier move.

But I do like the Topaz AI software I use (denoise, gigapixel and sharpen). I don't then gimmicky and in general they work rather well.

Last edited:
While I still have my 7d I think I will play with this a little more. There are some images, and usually not my best ones, where it can make some positive difference so why not. Perhaps it will make a reasonable blog post.

I found luminar stuff to be mostly gimmicky. IME they have constantly over promised and under delivered with no real meat.

+1. I think the biggest failure is really nothing else but the marketing hype they have created. It is obviously not a bad second tier app / plugin but they have literally offered a moon on the stick and its reflections with the preorders and failed to deliver. It has to be some of the best way to p*** off their loyal customers (which I am not at this point btw).

They pushed so hard at being LR's alternative without subscription and never even came close to it.

Regardless of the wrapping you will either ditch it or want to upgrade as soon as the next major release is out. That is equal to subscription in my books.

Incidentally, you can still buy the Aurora HD and Luminar 4 bundle for under £20 until Jan 6th:

That's interesting. As long as it is legit (never heard of this company?) that appears to be a good enough deal if like TG says L4 and Lai are nearly the same. The only really interesting feature I found so far (in the AI) is the combo of sunrays and mist for forest images. It's not without glitches but it's fixable in PS at least.
Shame it has arbitrary limitations such as only one "sun" when in fact you could use many iterations of it for street lamps in the fog. Likewise there is no way to simulate certain lens properties and so on.
I'll have to try and work out how to do it in photoshop. It will be far more laborious but will also offer plenty more control.

I tried aurora 2018 (I got it as a freebie) but found it far too extreme to be applicable to my work. LR-HDR merge is perfect for my needs other than occasional glitches where some movement occurred. I'm not sure what the differences are in 2019 but obviously for the price why not.

I'm only guessing at some point it will all be offered as a freebie like 2018 versions.

I assume support of Luminar 4 will soon be discontinued, but it's a cheap way of trying out their stuff.

On Win10 that will be hardly an issue. For mac users that's a ticking time bomb. This goes for most older software.

Same here. They’ve been promising a speed improvement for 4 for ages and it’s never materialised. Now all resources on AI.

On my old macbook pro ('14 i5 8GB) it feels decidedly slow. I can't compare with v4 but it is notably slower than the latest LRC. I even had a couple system lockups for a minute or two.

LRC has on the other hand improved recently speed-wise. I can now use brush and not feel the dreadful lag any more. Clone is still slow as a pig though.

Once I finally migrate to the new system (come on retailers!) I am sure both will deliver acceptable performance.

That's interesting. As long as it is legit (never heard of this company?) that appears to be a good enough deal if like TG says L4 and Lai are nearly the same. The only really interesting feature I found so far (in the AI) is the combo of sunrays and mist for forest images. It's not without glitches but it's fixable in PS at least.
Yes, it's legit. Humble Bundle is better known for indie games and ebooks, but it's been going for a decade or so. They do deals with various publishers, and you can choose how much of the cash goes to charity.
I've just bought this one for the Bruce Schneier books, and chose to send most of the money to the EFF:

I didn't realise support for Luminar 4 was being discontinued, I think that's outrageous if true, its not really that old, that won't have any loyal customer base if they stop support for L4, as what's to say they won't do the same with AI after 6 months.

The only really interesting feature I found so far (in the AI) is the combo of sunrays and mist for forest images. It's not without glitches but it's fixable in PS at least.
Shame it has arbitrary limitations such as only one "sun" when in fact you could use many iterations of it for street lamps in the fog. Likewise there is no way to simulate certain lens properties and so on.
I'll have to try and work out how to do it in photoshop. It will be far more laborious but will also offer plenty more control.

You're a good photographer.......I don't understand why you feel the need for cheap gimmicks like sunrays, mist filters and replacing skies. :)

You're a good photographer.......I don't understand why you feel the need for cheap gimmicks like sunrays, mist filters and replacing skies. :)

Let's say I feel the need to play with something during brown winter and lockdowns. My landscapes camera hasn't seen daylight for over 2 months.

Back