Lumix DMC-LX7 Gimble .. Suggestions please

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Posted in equipment but probably better here.. sorry mods :(

Am looking for a gimble to use with Lumix DMC-LX7 ..nothing massive that makes me look like a robot but something i can walk around with for smooth video

As you can tell.. still a novice in this area....

Any suggestions on gimble as the video on this is good enough for my needs :)

Quite felixible on price..

I've just bought a zhiyun crane-m which is very good, a little big and heavy, but is adjustable to take quite a wide range of smaller cameras.
I've also got a fiyu-tech for the gopro which is one of the earlier models, so maybe they're better now, but the panning was juddery and only the tilt worked with the remote, so I'm more pleased with the new one, but I'm taking a bit of a hit with the weight and size.

Now seen lots of reviews on this gimble.. looks good.. wheer did you buy and how much?

yeagh same price i have seen from camera shops CVP.com

pretty much want one... But Trying to find out if the zoom buttons work with lumix dmc-lx7 but cant find any resources to tell me...

I tried the Zhiyun Smooth Q gimbal with my iPhone and just couldn't get it to work properly. When moving around it seemed to rotate the wrong way or go into portrait mode without me wanting it to. I balanced it according to the instructions so don't know what went wrong. I would be interested to hear from anyone on the forum who uses the Zhiyun Crane or another of their gimbals where it actually works well.

well with no other reccomendations for better i will probably take the plunge and go for the zhiyun crane-m ..i just cant seem to get anything decent hand held so got to be done :)

Well thats £369 spent .... Zhiyun-Tech Crane-M ...... hmm :) thanks @Ramalama for the pointer :)

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after you spend some time using it. Maybe post a short review if you have time?

My first ever attempt at a video was a bit of a disaster.. in a boxing club on first floor. I took a tripod and had an idea what i wanted to do.... unfortunatly first floor lots of adults jumping about.. the floor wasnt even steady and tripod no good so .....tried to do it all hand held and didnt quite work as expected... learnt a lot of things need to do different.. hopefully can improve on this

View: https://youtu.be/tTSaaYBWQy8

i will post the new one using the gimble :)

Last edited:
I liked some of the clips mate - tbh I don't think this was a bad video at all. I can see some shake, but not all the time.

Do you think the only way to get good video (within reason re: cost) is with a gimbal?

My first ever attempt at a video was a bit of a disaster.. in a boxing club on first floor. I took a tripod and had an idea what i wanted to do.... unfortunatly first floor lots of adults jumping about.. the floor wasnt even steady and tripod no good so .....tried to do it all hand held and didnt quite work as expected... learnt a lot of things need to do different.. hopefully can improve on this

View: https://youtu.be/tTSaaYBWQy8

i will post the new one using the gimble :)

I liked some of the clips mate - tbh I don't think this was a bad video at all. I can see some shake, but not all the time.

thanks:) wasn't 100% happy with it..which is probably good.. in fact not very happy with it.

Do you think the only way to get good video (within reason re: cost) is with a gimbal?

only for me and the way I will be making a video with me moving about a lot.. and as with boxing a bouncy floor.. theres stuff I want to do like moving around a boxer as he is on the bag.... had the floor not been bouncy then a tripod would have made a massive difference..

I think I gimble will improve my chances of making a better video in the style I am thinking of doing :)

zhiyun crane-m

Well I got mine from cvp.com for £369 which seemed to be the going rate unless i went grey.

one tiny booklet... i figured out how to balance it ok.. quite simple without the booklet to be honest

played around for a while and although not heavy to hold... the position you hold it and move around you (or i) soon got back ach haha..

first thing i do NOT like is that i have no idea what MODE I am in at any given time.. just have to press and try...

this is going to tale a LOT of practice especialy trying to get it low.. it goes all over the place and the camera gets stuck on the gimble sometimes.. I need lots of practice

actual video is smooth walkign about.. even up and down stairs is relativly smooth.. no idea what mode it was :(

first play for an hr which also included having to take camera off gimble to get at memory card ..another :( and viewing youtube vids of other people using..

going to have a lot more practice with it tomorrow.. not had much time today

Learnt that my camera has a sleep mode and keeps turning itself off when practicing with video not on... so have had to disable that..

as to modes... OK always starts up in follow pan mode and one click to follow or back again.. so long as i know that and only using those two modes then great..

If i try going to ALL mode (2 clicks) ...well it just flops over and goes wherever it wants :(

I've found it too sensitive on the little joystick, I get better control with the phone ap, but then it's hard to hold it in one hand and use the phone with the other, so it's back to putting it on a tripod. Ahhhhh
At least it's got a screw thread on the bottom

phone app is good.. shows how much battery left and also helped me figure out the modes.... putting on a tripod kinda defeats the whole idea of a gimble surely? not somehting i can do as wil be moving about a lot.. i only needed the joystick a little bit.. just used body movement mostly :)

Yes and no, if you're panning or tilting then you still get some motion in your shot,

After posting that I decided to check out the app a bit more.
You can adjust the speed of the pan and tilt joystick control, I took it right down to about 8%, I think that will be OK for me now.
I'm up your way tomorrow, going to watch derby at Bolton.

Last edited:
Yes and no, if you're panning or tilting then you still get some motion in your shot,

yes every video , review and official advert says as much... i wasn't hoping for rock steady but even walking around the house i can see its going to be a big difference..

only just getting into video.. am out in the morning at a u14s football match i am just going to see what i can get moving around the pitch.. should be good practice :)

I'm up your way tomorrow, going to watch derby at Bolton.

yuk :)

Photographing accrington stanley v mansfield town for the local paper myself :)

Had a long test with it this morning.. first proper outing... FIRST THING... oh wow it could do with a video on/off button that connect to camera.. was awkward when your making lots of short clips...

started getting used to moving it around.. all in the wrist action not the arm action

don't twist too fast.. looks orrible ..

So this is the type of video I am looking to produce.. I know this is rough.. I learnt a lot while making it and will do better next time :) Couldn't do this without the gimble.. all the walking about would have been unwatchable..

View: https://youtu.be/m6FQtUhAzgg

Good that mate, do you think there'll be a market for it?

I only showed it to the two teams in the vid.. so its not public for the other couple of hundred teams i deal with in this area over threaa junior leagues..

after one manager viewing I got this on social media :)

Ok pal when ever u get time u wanna get a price to video games and let me know as we got some big derby this season

I replied telling him I am a long way iff that yet and need to get more games under my belt and fine tune what I am offering..

I did a cup final at Ilkeston town last year.
I sat up in the gantry with 2 dslrs and had a go pro behind each goal.
Problem was I didn't allow for the smaller junior pitch so I was rather a long way away.
It was a bit of a nightmare editing all the clips together but I got there in the end and made £300 from the two teams which I put to charity.
I've always wondered how much I'd have made if I hadn't said the proceeds were for charity.
Looking at your footage it might have been better close up, but I didn't have the gimbal at the time.
The go pros behind the goals were good though, had the replay from behind the goal then the goalies reaction at the other end.

I did a cup final at Ilkeston town last year.
I sat up in the gantry with 2 dslrs and had a go pro behind each goal.
Problem was I didn't allow for the smaller junior pitch so I was rather a long way away.
It was a bit of a nightmare editing all the clips together but I got there in the end and made £300 from the two teams which I put to charity.
I've always wondered how much I'd have made if I hadn't said the proceeds were for charity.
Looking at your footage it might have been better close up, but I didn't have the gimbal at the time.
The go pros behind the goals were good though, had the replay from behind the goal then the goalies reaction at the other end.

Good thinking with the go-pros .. I have been thinking more and more that video work like this is more a two man job.... dont like the idea of leaving stuff runnign behind goals at this level.. too many kids on bikes who would no doubt scoop one up or think its funny to knock over.. i can get boxing jobs but need one person setup pointing at ring for each bout and me with gimble following fighters into ring and moving about.. pay would be decent for me but wouldnt stretch to two people...

£300 would be a decent return for one game i think.... couple of hrs at match and most of next day editing and putting together..

going to try some more.. see how i go.. have to see if i have enough time to persue this... september if very busy for me photo wise.. loads happening :)

thinking time :)

have a womens training session to attend on thursday to video with gimble again.. so hopefully put right the errors i made on first go and produce soemhting a little better :)

I see your point about the go pros, with it being a cup final only the ball boys were near the pitch, so it wasn't a problem for me.
One did get knocked over by the ball half way through the second half and I lost the footage for the rest of the game because I was too far away to stand it back up.

Back