Name
Claire Grindley
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm just starting out in portrait photography, most young children, family, dancer headshots and outdoor posed. My camera body isn't the best out there but I don't want to spend unnecessarily. Does anybody know what lenses would be best for each of the photography shoots I've listed? I currently have a standard 14-45mm which is ok for headshots and portraits, but I know possibly a 42.5mm may help me create a softer background? Also when I do full body I lose the clarity slightly. Also, I know (I think) the Lumix G1 lenses are different to other in terms of mm. My head is a bit battered if i'm honest and it's really holding me back :( I went into the local camera shop and the guy was so helpful but it was information overload - any help or info would be hugely appreciated!! Thanks in advance :D

Hi, first of all Lumix lenses are only 'different to other in terms of mm ' in relation to other camera formats, therefore a 42.5mm lens on your camera will have exactly the same view as if you set 42,5mm on your current lens (14-45). To have a more blurred background you need a lens with a wider aperture (f stop), the smaller the number the wider the aperture, therefore f2.8 is wider than f8. The picture has to be taken with this wide aperture to get the blurred effect also, it's no good just having a lens with a wide aperture (hope that makes sense) If the lens you are considering is the Olympus 42.5 f1.8 then this is a good lens for the style of photography you seem to do, that's just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Hi Claire
I would go for the Lumix 42.5/1.7, nice lens for a relatively reasonable price
Also has stabilisation which will help with camera shake, something your camera and the Olympus mentioned above doesn't have.
If required you can use a smaller f number (try f/1.8) than the zoom which should give you the desired effect
It should also be better optically, but you do lose the different focal length options, can't have it all.

Last edited:
Your Lumix is compatible with Micro 4/3rds lenses.
I'd look at used lenses from places like CEX, MPB, Camera Jungle or the classifieds here.

The Olympus f1.8 45mm mentioned above is a great little lens. Very sharp and good value used.
The long length can be challenging to use in some circumstances if you don't have space to step back from the subject.
I don't use mine much for that reason.

The Panasonic f1.7mm 25mm is a much wider lens but the f1.7 aperture will let you create that out of focus effect too.
It's not a classic portrait lens focal length, which usually favours something longer (larger mm).

I have albums on Flickr for both the above.
I don't tend to share portraits as I rarely take anything except family pictures which I don't put on Flickr but there are some cats :)
P f1.7 25mm
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZ9LToW

O f1.8 45mm
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1c7E1p

If you can find the Lumix 42.5/1.7 then the stabilisation would be worth having if you mainly shoot handheld.
If you're using a tripod it's less important.

For reference when people are comparing lenses across systems they relate them back to "full frame" classic 35mm film.
M43 has a crop factor of 2. So a 45mm M43 lens has the same field of view as a 90mm full frame lens.
So when people talk about "nifty fifty" lenses the equivalent on M43 is 25mm.

Last edited:
Thank you all SO much for your info. Not sure how you remember it all - but i'm glad you do. Can anybody give me advice on what lens would be best when it comes to dance (movement) photography - sometimes this may be from a distance. or should I focus more on my SS for this? Thanks in advance again :D

If you're looking to freeze movement then you need a high shutter speed.
To get that you need to get as much light as possible to the sensor.
Again that means a small F number (aperture) on the lens - f1.8 lets in more light then f2.8 ...

What lens you need will depend on the distance between you and the dancer.
A larger focal length in mm will mean you can be further away and still fill the frame.
When you've zoomed in as far as you can with your current 14-45mm lens does that frame the dancer well or are they still small in the frame?

I had a G1 for quite a while.

I can recommend the Olympus 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8's and also the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8. I bought all those used for what I thought were very reasonable prices.

Panasonic 15/1.7 is also worth a look and I agree with Alan above about the 12-35/2.8

I am SO grateful to you all for replying. I love the site already. Thanks for all the info! @AMcUK totally understand what you mean - so I could do with looking for a f1.8 with a large focal length, any suggestions?

If you want a long focal length you couldn't do any better than an Olympus 75/1.8

I just need a small lottery win now and I’ll be flying..... (or maybe I could sell one of my kids ) thanks again people!

If you go for a f1.8 or even wider you may want to get a ND filter if you'll be shooting in good light as the G1's max shutter speed is 1/4000 and you can easily exceed that with a wide aperture lens in good light. An ND will bring the shutter speed down to below 1/4000.

I'd recommend a cheap screw on one. You can find them on the usual auction sites and in fact you may find a set of three or four. If you think you'll use the ND on more than one lens check the diameter of the filter threads and buy filters to fit the widest, buy cheap step up rings for the smaller lenses, that should work out the cheapest thing to do.

The filter thread diameter should be on the inside of the lens cap. eg. 49mm.

Last edited:
I am SO grateful to you all for replying. I love the site already. Thanks for all the info! @AMcUK totally understand what you mean - so I could do with looking for a f1.8 with a large focal length, any suggestions?

Your kit zoom lens maxes at 45mm. Is that able to get the dancer to fill the frame or do you need more "zoom"?
Do you have the opportunity to "zoom with your feet" always the cheapest and often the best option ;) ?
If the longest zoom of your kit lens is filling the frame then either the 42.5mm Panasonic or the 45mm Olympus will be a good choice.
They're close to the limit of your kit lens but will let a lot more light in.
The Olympus is cheaper but the Panasonic lens is stabilised which will help when you're shooting at slower shutter speeds.
Have a look at MPB, Camera Jungle, CEX, London Camera Exchange - there are others - for used prices and the Classifieds section here.
Most of my lenses were bought used so as long as the source is trustworthy they're generally a good buy over new.

I wouldn't spend the kind of money you need to get the Olympus 75mm to put on the G1. It's £350+ used.
I find the 45mm f1.8 too long to use most of the time though I'm shooting different things to you.

Last edited:
Back