Lumix G1

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just picked up a second hand Nikon D60 to use as a holiday camera. The seller had a Lumix G1 camera which he showed me and I am now smitten. It looked an excellent little camera and had the best EVF I have seen.
My question is, is the camera as good as it looks? What is the IQ like, range of lenses and is the high ISO performance acceptable?

Answer, yes it is. They are superb.

Although it's a first generation Micro Four Thirds camera and there have been several newer once since it's still a nice camera IMVHO.

If you shoot raw and process the images for best effect at low to medium ISO's you should get very good image quality although IMVHO it struggles at the highest ISO's but even the highest are usable with care.

These cameras lack a little dynamic range but when shooting with the in view histogram and exposing to the right I find that my G1 is actually easier to shoot with in challenging light than my 5D.

The only real problem I have with mine is that the EVF lacks dynamic range and the light output is high and both of these give me problems with low light shooting but as a good light camera it's quite good IMVHO. I wouldn't and don't use mine for night time shooting though.

There a load of G1 shots in this thread...

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=262800&page=245

The range of lenses is good and any Micro Four Thirds lens from Panasonic, Olympus and others will fit but I use old manual lenses on mine via a cheap adapter.

I don't know how much your dealer is offering one for but some dealers have them for under £100.

Last edited:
Back