Lumix TZ70 and travel

Name
Charles
Edit My Images
Yes
We're going on a guided holiday tour of India next autumn and although I could taker my Nikon D7500 and one or two lenses I'm tempted to travel really light and just take my Lumix TZ70. But...trip of a lifetime but not taking my best camera gear? Would I regret leaving it at home? Not a life changing decision to have to make, I know but just thought I'd seek opinions especially from those who might have made a similar trip.
Thanks in advance.

I like to take two cameras. A quality camera with a smallish wide aperture prime and a higher end compact camera for longer and wider shots and for the times when a larger camera is for whatever reason too much. This works for me as I'm happy enough with a 35 or 50mm lens most of the time. I carry both in a small bag so I don't have to leave anything behind in the hotel and worry it'll be gone when I get back. I have a Sony A7 and a Panasonic TZ100 which has something like a 25-250mm lens.

For the trip of a lifetime, I'd take the DSLR with an 18-200 or similar. I have the TZ70's bigger brother (TZ100) which I take on holiday as a supplement to a Fuji CSC system. Tempted to take just the Panny in June BUT that trip is to a place we've visited many times before so I'll only be taking snaps.

I've just bought a TZ90 to take to Rhodes in June rather than lug my Canon 70D + lenses along.

I just hope it survives because the TZ100 I bought in October went back a week later for a dead screen and my partners 11 month old TZ60 was scrapped due to a focusing fault.

I spent 7 weeks in India in 2011/2012 and took my 5D Mkii, 17-40L, 100-400L and 50mm F1.8. I managed ok. I was more worried about security than anything else and there were a couple of occasions I think we might have been followed, but luckily no issues.

These days I take my Canon M6 and selection of lens when I travel which is more manageable and not so in your face. I personally think this type of system is the best compromise. My other half also takes her own camera which is a LUMIX TZ70.

India has such a vast variety of photo opportunities, enjoy.

Personally, I know that I wouldn't be happy taking anything less than the DSLR setup. It's insured, so can be replaced.

Holidays are actually a prime chance to do some photography so it's important to me that I can take the best photos I can; I've already put the effort in to travelling across the world to see something!

I think the two main things I'm concerned about are the possibility of getting dust etc. in the camera as I change lenses and the delays this sometimes causes to the group we're with moving on.

Back