Lunar Eclipse

No point - the World is supposed to end because of it... ;)

No point - the World is supposed to end because of it... ;)
Well that means I can stay up to watch it and does not matter that I'll be tired the next day :)

[marvin]It'll probably be cloudy anyway.[/marvin]:trudge:

If cloudy ...hope it is broken cloud to capture images.... Was cloudy in March but still got shots between clouds.

If cloudy ...hope it is broken cloud to capture images.... Was cloudy in March but still got shots between clouds.

Yep that's the one thing you can't control in many ways and for me - the forecast will be what 'decides' whether I half-kill myself to get the shots or not lol :)

I was keen until I read 3am to 4.30am!
shakehead.gif

I'm going try and stay awake for it. I'll have the right hump if the world ends.....I've just bought a new camera :D

Looks interesting, just make sure you are on high ground otherwise that apocalyptic high tide will soak you camera and you'll miss the shot.

I know - but the next one isn't going to happen until 2033!
Except for the one in July 2018, the one in January 2019, the one in May 2022, .....

27th July 2018 will be particularly interesting for us because, as seen from the UK, the moon will be totally eclipsed as it rises. There ought to be some good photo opportunities there! (It ought to be relatively convenient too: it's a Friday evening, and the moon rises somewhere between 20:30 and 22:00 depending on where you are in the UK.)

Except for the one in July 2018, the one in January 2019, the one in May 2022, .....

27th July 2018 will be particularly interesting for us because, as seen from the UK, the moon will be totally eclipsed as it rises. There ought to be some good photo opportunities there! (It ought to be relatively convenient too: it's a Friday evening, and the moon rises somewhere between 20:30 and 22:00 depending on where you are in the UK.)

@StewartR there are others? I'd read in a couple of places this was the last one for a while over the UK - not arguing - just confused! :)

@StewartR there are others? I'd read in a couple of places this was the last one for a while over the UK - not arguing - just confused! :)

I heard the same from the radio but doesn't appear to be the case looking at the links
shrug2.gif

This is the last for years where we will see the full sequence.
This should help
http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/europe.html

Dunno Steve, the Jan 20th/21st 2019 looks promising ........but that's quite await and we'll still have to be up at stupid o'clock :D

Dunno Steve, the Jan 20th/21st 2019 looks promising ........but that's quite await and we'll still have to be up at stupid o'clock :D

Yes, should be interesting and offer different photo opportunities as it will be finishing as it gets light.

Well, they don't happen very often. In an average century there are (approximately):
  • 70 total lunar eclipses which are visible somewhere on earth - there can be up to two per year, or sometimes the intervals between them can be up to about 3 years ;
  • 44 total lunar eclipses where at least some of the total phase can be seen from London (including when the moon rises or sets during totality);
  • 17 where the entire total phase can be seen from London.
So on average we get to see the entire total phase, as we will this weekend (weather permitting), every 6 years or so. But it's very very irregular. Sometimes it can happen twice in a year: in fact it happened twice in 2003 and twice again in 2004. This coming one is the 11th one since 2000, so we're in something of a good run at present. The next one after this weekend is 2019, and then twice in 2025, 2028, 2029, 2032, 2033, .... But there can be intervals of up to 40 years or more between them. The 24th and 25th centuries will be particularly poor as far as visibility from London is concerned.

Loads of fun data here: http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/lunar_eclipses/5MCLE/xLE_2_Five_Millennium_Canon.html

Il be fishing on a lake somewhere so lets hope the clouds and mother nature dont let me down :)

This will be the last total eclipse of a so-called 'supermoon' until 2033. What's the difference? Well, here's a comparison of a 'supermoon' vs a boring old ordinary moon -

Supermoon%202012.jpg

Wow! Look how much bigger the 'supermoon' on the left is. Or is the 'supermoon' the one on the right?

It's all a load of meaningless hype.

Last edited:
This will be the last total eclipse of a so-called 'supermoon' until 2033. What's the difference? Well, here's a comparison of a 'supermoon' vs a boring old ordinary moon -

Supermoon%202012.jpg

Camera​
Canon EOS 7D​
Focal Length​
600mm​
Aperture​
f/5.6​
Exposure​
1/350s​
ISO​
800​

Wow! Look how much bigger the 'supermoon' on the left is. Or is the 'supermoon' the one on the right?

It's all a load of meaningless hype.

Is that where the 2033 comments come in, OK - that clears that up!!

Thanks! Phew so If I don't have to wait *quite* that long then! [emoji6]

Cheers!

Matt

So, I'm aware of the 500 rule for maximum exposure length before the stars start to move, but what's the maximum exposure time for the moon before you obtain motion blur?

So, I'm aware of the 500 rule for maximum exposure length before the stars start to move, but what's the maximum exposure time for the moon before you obtain motion blur?

Normally you needn't worry, because the shutter speeds are so high, but at full lunar totality, the same rules apply as any other astro object as shutter speeds will drop. While the moon appears to travel across the sky at a different rate, the differences in real time are so small that for any celestial body the same rules apply... except meteors and such, obviously.

Surely it depends on what focal length your lens is? When I did my moon shots using a 2600mm lens the moon it was a job trying to even get it into frame it moved so fast let alone worry about motion blur.

Last edited:
Surely it depends on what focal length your lens is?

Yes... but the 500 rule does indeed take that into account.. that's it's whole point :)

Quite. I just wondered if the 500 rule applied given the moon will take up more pixels than a star, say.

Yeah.. no reason why not that I can see... it just means that with a focal length of 2600mm (either optical or effective) you'd need more than 20th of a second.

Yeah.. no reason why not that I can see... it just means that with a focal length of 2600mm (either optical or effective) you'd need more than 20th of a second.
Cool - thanks for that. I won't be going over 200mm, but going to try and get a eclipse in the landscape type shot - if I wake up!

looking really good and interesting, but after week sick off, can i stay another night up looking at moon and risk being late monday morning? :p

link to 500 rule

http://www.eveningphotography.com/night-photography-500-rule/

BUT the last para says

"quote" The bottom line is, don’t use 500-rule unless you shoot with a full frame 4MP sensor body, which doesn’t exists " Unquote"

Not my words

That's one of those things mathematical pedants trot out yeah... it's a rule of thumb, and in essence, is a good guide to use. Ultimately if you're using a digital camera you can just look at your results to see if your shutter speed is accurate. In reality, it's a guide to get you in the ball park, and works.

Back