LX3 or canon 350D

Name
Two Dogs....
Edit My Images
Yes
I guess the title says it all really....
I'll give a quick outline of the story, I'm pretty new to the whole photography thing but am dead keen on learning. I got a offered a good deal on a panasonic LX3 just beofre Christmas so I bought it (£~250). On looking up stuff photograph I found this wonderful place and got my lee filters (totally amazing, I still can't beleive my luck).
The problem is, that I've spotteda good deal on a Canon 350D (we'll call it £180) with a kit lens in the forum. My question is, should I stick with the LX3, sell it and get the 350D or buy the 350D, wait for my LX3 to get here, play around with both and see which I prefer...
I don't think the wife is gonna let me keep both though.

I hope it's not bad form to discuss offers that are in the classifieds section in the forum, I couldn't see anything in the guidelines. I can edit if I've mucked up.

Regards

I think you need to consider where do you think this hobby will take you. If you think further down the line you'll be taking photography more seriously then the 350D would be a good starting point. Otherwise the LX3 is a fantastic compact to get stuck in with.

Portability is the only question you need to ask yourself.
The lx3 is very portable i have the lx1 for that purpose stick it in a pocket forget about it. You wont be able to do that with a 350d.

There's no denying the pocketabilty and convenience of the LX3, but you're never going to buy an 800mm tele lens for it or a true macro lens, not to mention a host of accessories which is part of the whole DSLR system.

Any DSLR body is your entry into a system which expands with you as your interest and needs grow. In an ideal world keep the LX3 for those occasions when you can't be arsed to cart all the gear about, if not - well it's no contest really. ;)

well i have a D700 and some pro glass, and i have just bought an LX3, so my answer is both. They do totally different jobs, if your going to a party or going round Disney your not going to want to lug loads of equipment with you so an LX3 will excel there, but it will never give you the results a proper DSLR will afford you for serious stuff

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I'm going to stick with the LX3 just now. From the reviews I've seen (dpreview, etc) the LX3 is good in studio conditions, where I'm planning to do some practice stuff, whilst getting the mobility of the compact. Besides, if I REALLY don't like it the resale value of these is pretty good.

thanks for the tips guys!

Back