LX7 to LX100 Big jump/improvement or ?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I have an LX7 for walkabouts.. parties and stuff where getting out a 1dx and lenses isn't doable. so it's now my main camera...

I love the 1.4 and the video..

Is the lx100 a big jump upwards and worth getting? and if so.. why?

Yes you guessed it.. trying to talk myself into buying one :)

I bought the LX100 from Panamoz for less than £400. It's a huge step up from a small sensor camera and it's really nice to use. I've just taken loads of stuff from a trip to the US and the results are superb. Buy one, you'll love it.

As there haven't been too many replies... I don't have an LX7 but do have an LF1 and it has the same senor.

I've been quite disappointed with the LXx line. I had an LX2 and moved to a LX5 but thought that it was a step down in image quality (better at higher ISO's but worse at lower, files just look mushy IMO) and I have to say that I think that the LF1 is a step down from the LX5 (mushy files again.) None of these cameras can IMO begin to compare to a MFT camera for image quality.

I apologise.. I didnt get any email alerts that this had been answererd... sorry for not responding.

Thanks lee thats encouraging :)

alan.. well the lx7 was my first real pocket camera and i have been impressed. especialy in low light with the 1.4 lens and the video... so impressed i thought hey might get even better :)

I apologise.. I didnt get any email alerts that this had been answererd... sorry for not responding.

Thanks lee thats encouraging :)

alan.. well the lx7 was my first real pocket camera and i have been impressed. especialy in low light with the 1.4 lens and the video... so impressed i thought hey might get even better :)

I'm sure it's a good camera and in fact they're all good these days but I sometimes pixel peep and obsess and see problems that'll never be visible in full images :D In any case I think you'll find MFT a step up.

Good luck making a decision.

I haven't used a LX7, but I'm delighted with my LX100, and can't recommend it highly enough for both ergonomics and image quality. My Sony RX100 hasn't seen any use since I bought it.

I had an LX3 years ago, sold it and regretted it. Got an LX100 last year and enjoyed using it ever since.

A couple of shots from it that I am happy with..

Amber III by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Bisect by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Apex100 by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Planted by Gary Smith, on Flickr

All quite different so it's a versatile little camera.

I look back at some of my LX3 stuff and there is a noticeable difference in quality, although I was always generally happy with the LX3 anyway.

I like it, it's not as small as some compacts but I took it to the US and got the camera, several filters and a gorilla pod in a tiny crumpler bag. It's a handy alternative to taking my 'big' camera out and about..

@KIPAX - did you decide if the LX100 was for you ?

Its for an holiday in end of june.. i only have big lumpy 1dx with big lumpy lens .. didnt want to leave to last minute hence ask now :) .. i have the LX7 now so needs to be like a 300/400 quid improvement to go upwards and i ahvent been convinced its 300+ quid better.. I am convinced its a good camera but is it that much improved?

It is a tough call - the LX7 is a capable camera and can produce decent results but the larger sensor of the LX100 is a bonus as is, assuming the holiday is somewhere sunny, the addition of the viewfinder - can make a difference in composing in bright conditions - always struggled with that on the LX3 I had.

I have only looked at the panasonic as i presume layout and controls will be simmilar... i hate learning new systems.. too old :)

You could always have a look at the Panasonic GX7, there are some very good deals available on new kit at the moment and they have cropped up a few times in the classifieds here too. Also seem to be some good deals and cheap used prices on Sony A6000 / Nex cameras too.

Back