Lyca mobile......any user experiences to share

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

As Plusnet are ceasing their mobile service (unclear just when that will happen) I have been looking for a new provider.

Lyca was mentioned elsewhere and my initial research suggests they offer decent new deals.

These include 100 international call minutes
EU data & voice roaming included.

The variation is the lowest cost 5GB offer has 1000 UK calls & texts compared to Unlimited on the next deal and others with more data. NB the first Unlimited one is 20GB

What I could not find out (yet) does the 1000 refer to minutes or calls whatever the duration???

TIA :)

I signed up with them when I had problems with PAYG.

It seems cheap and so far I've had no problems at all. It's a cheaper contract than paying for calls on the land line and overall seems to be cheaper than PAYG too as my money kept disappearing with PAYG.

I can't remember the details but I think my cheap deal has unlimited calls and TXT's.

Mrs WW has quite a bit of money on her PAYG but when it runs out I'm going to sign her up for the same deal I'm on... or whatever's available at the time and most like it.

I got my sim only deal through a comparison site. As I remember I had a problem finding the same deal on the Lyca site. Have you tried a comparison site?

Last edited:
I'm in same boat with plusnet , i need to look arround also

i think 1pmobile got good reviews

I am looking at this tarriff

I am with 1p and cannot fault the network, compared to the network issues I have had with Voda and O2.

If you are planning on joining give me a shout and I can share a referral code..

Thank you

I signed up with them when I had problems with PAYG.

It seems cheap and so far I've had no problems at all. It's a cheaper contract than paying for calls on the land line and overall seems to be cheaper than PAYG too as my money kept disappearing with PAYG.

I can't remember the details but I think my cheap deal has unlimited calls and TXT's.

Mrs WW has quite a bit of money on her PAYG but when it runs out I'm going to sign her up for the same deal I'm on... or whatever's available at the time and most like it.

I got my sim only deal through a comparison site. As I remember I had a problem finding the same deal on the Lyca site. Have you tried a comparison site?
Thanks, good to know that you have it reliable :)

If you are happy to say what you pay per month, please do so?

Yes, 1p mobile looks good.......

But IMO is targeted at higher usage users...... because it or £10 per month top-up automatically whether you use the £10 or not. Therefore depending on usage you could potentially have >£100 in credit built up over time.

With current PN of 6GB for £6.86 pm I have never used all the data and I don't text much nor have long phone calls on it (or indeed the landline). Hence, should I change now there is no credit built up to lose upon changing like could happen with say 1p Mobile.

Decisions, decisions..... :thinking:

@Box Brownie yeah i have always gone with £10 ish is what i am happy to pay , currently plusnet its £12 for 30gb/unl/unl

Thanks, good to know that you have it reliable :)

If you are happy to say what you pay per month, please do so?

Without logging onto my bank I can't quite remember but for the first 3 months I think it was something like £1.xx odd and after that just under £5. I've had a look on their website and I think that deal isn't available any more.

I went for the unlimited calls and texts and quite a bit of data package as at the time Mrs WW was still going through the visa process and we had occasional very long calls to various gov departments plus looking up stuff.

PS.
There seem to be some comparison site only deals so it's worth looking. Here's one...

Actually that might be the one I'm on, not sure.

Last edited:
Without logging onto my bank I can't quite remember but for the first 3 months I think it was something like £1.xx odd and after that just under £5. I've had a look on their website and I think that deal isn't available any more.

I went for the unlimited calls and texts and quite a bit of data package as at the time Mrs WW was still going through the visa process and we had occasional very long calls to various gov departments plus looking up stuff.

PS.
There seem to be some comparison site only deals so it's worth looking. Here's one...

Actually that might be the one I'm on, not sure.
Thanks for the linky

The 3GB data is for me just a bit too low. :(

The one I found with 1000 calls & texts, subject to confirmation that that means 1000 mins & 1000 texts = >16 hours of calls a month! This month to date on my PN mobile I made under 20 mins of calls and 2 texts :)

So, I will phone Lyca to clarify the "1000" as well as whether the roaming includes the Channel Islands (and Isle of Man). If all looks right based on the feedback, Lyca looks good for myself and the OH :)

I just hope the switching with our numbers is nice and smooth!

PS I rang PN Mobile to see if there was any latitude/customisation in the "my offers" and there are none!

I just hope the switching with our numbers is nice and smooth!

Yes it's easy. You get a PAC number from your current company and fill out a form with the new company.

One more thing just in case you haven't done this before... When you get your new sim card it's in the middle of a larger plastic thingy. When you snap the sim card out don't throw the outer thingy away as it has a number on it which you need, it's not your phone number but it is a number you'll need during the process.

Good luck with it.

Well, I emailed their customer support on 30th June and they answered today 8th July

Their UK Smart Plan does not work on the channel Islands for voice or data.

They did not answer my question about the 1000 calls & texts

Not impressed:(

I will have to keep looking and see what might be available to meet my........ ideally 6GB data, EU roaming including the channel Islands @ max £8 per month (<£8 would be better)

Have you looked at GiffGaff - £8 for 4Gb (5Gb if you auto renew the monthly payment), unlimited calls and texts and works in EU too. I've been with them for years - I'm ususally on PAYG, but I buy a goody bag (Data and calls) if we are away.

Use O2 network, I believe.

Have you looked at GiffGaff - £8 for 4Gb (5Gb if you auto renew the monthly payment), unlimited calls and texts and works in EU too. I've been with them for years - I'm ususally on PAYG, but I buy a goody bag (Data and calls) if we are away.

Use O2 network, I believe.
Thanks for the heads up.

I used to be giff gaff on PAYG but they did not do channel Islands roaming.........but Plusnet mobile did. Hence the switch at that time.

I was happy with giff gaff but found moving to monthly contract was peace of mind.

I will have drill down and see exactly what their included roaming covers exactly?

ive bought a 1pmobile SIM on its way to me know
i am going to try them for a few weeks £10 for 10gb/unlim/unlim and EU Roaming

I have used lebara and would recommend them. They have various packages - unlimited uk calls and texts, 100minutes international and 3gb data for under a fiver. They have other plans with larger data packages. they use vodaphone network

ive bought a 1pmobile SIM on its way to me know
i am going to try them for a few weeks £10 for 10gb/unlim/unlim and EU Roaming
Thanks for the insight.......I will look forward to your update

Looking here https://www.1pmobile.com/data-4GB-SIM
The channel Islands are included but though it is 'sold' as @£7.50 pm the ref to top-up mentions taking £10 if your credit goes under £2 :thinking:

I have used lebara and would recommend them. They have various packages - unlimited uk calls and texts, 100minutes international and 3gb data for under a fiver. They have other plans with larger data packages. they use vodaphone network
Thanks, I have had a quick look and as per many others the CI are deemed 'international' outside of included EU roaming included countries:(

PS it is starting to look like.....find the most budget worthy offer and when, in advance, buy an add-on of some sort to add roaming "cost as part of the holiday" ?

Last edited:
Back