M.2 SSD

Part two:

Will it fit in this motherboard, with a Ryzen 5 2600 Six Core processor?

In particular, I am concerned about this comment in the spec:

1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2* SSD support)
* Actual support may vary by CPU.
* Supports only M.2 SATA SSDs when using an AMD Athlon™-series/ 7th Gen. A-series or Athlon™ X4 APU.

Thanks again.

Having used a couple of M.2 SSDs, I'd say don't bother and get a conventional 2.5" SSDinstead. There is zero speed difference between a SATA M.2 and a 2.5" SSD. In theory NVMe M.2 is faster but there's very little benefit in practice. The only real reason to use M.2 is to keep the inside of the case tidy but otherwise it's a waste of time.

What that text is telling you is that the listed CPUs don't support NVMe. Your suggested drive is SATA so it's not a problem whatever CPU is in the board.

I used these in my recent build but they have gone through the roof in price

Corsair Force MP600 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 4

However I have a Ryzen 9 3900x and compatible mainboard. The gen 4 M.2 drives are considerably faster than SSD, I have an SSD drive as an image of my main drive that I took when I started and then disconnected in case I ever have an m.2 failure. I did a drive test before I disconnected the SSD and my m.2 drives are at least 4 times as fast.

Looking at your mainboard spec it looks like gen3 is as far as you could go. As Snapsh0t has said if you can only go to gen3 save your money and stick with SSD, they are cheaper and just as good.

I built my machine last September as a replacement for my 27" iMac and PC that I lost in a house fire. Just the water cooling to finish now :D

Boot drive only, used for Windows 10, programs etc.

Data on other drives as has been the case for many years.

Thanks all.

Unless you're putting a humongous amount of programs on the SSD then 256GB would almost certainly be big enough.
My Samsung 500gB SSD "C" drive has 108gB free from a total capacity of 465gB and I don't have that many programs installed. My data is all on on my D, E, and F (conventional) drives.
I had a 256gB drive and I was running out of space so I went to a 500gB.
The price difference between 250gB and 500gB is small enough these days that you might as well cover yourself and get a 500gB drive.

Edit: I just checked and I have 175 programs installed, which doesn't seem that much to me.

Last edited:
Edit: I just checked and I have 175 programs installed, which doesn't seem that much to me.

Well that seems an awful lot to me, bu then all my programs are run in VMs so that save a huge amount of space.

You can save quite a bit of space by turning off system restore unless you need it a lot and turning off hibernation (unless you hibernate your machine).

Well that seems an awful lot to me, bu then all my programs are run in VMs so that save a huge amount of space.

You can save quite a bit of space by turning off system restore unless you need it a lot and turning off hibernation (unless you hibernate your machine).
I don't need to do anything - the system runs just fine the way it is.
What is the advantage in saving space? As I said, I have over 100gB spare on the "C" drive.

The suggestion was that the OP got a 256gB drive, and in my experience this is not enough, and a 500gB is not much more expensive these days.
As is often said "storage is cheap,"

Last edited:
I don't need to do anything - the system runs just fine the way it is.
What is the advantage in saving space? As I said, I have over 100gB spare on the "C" drive.

The suggestion was that the OP got a 256gB drive, and in my experience this is not enough, and a 500gB is not much more expensive these days.
As is often said "storage is cheap,"

Storage may be cheap but if you run everything on the "C" drive and the machine crashes or Windows goes belly up what do you do then?

How long does it take to re-install 175 programs?

Another reason I run VMs.

If the drive crashes you just restore from backups, of course.
That's what backups are for.
I keep a regularly updated clone of my "C" drive, so if it folds up I can simply swap the drive.

Back