M1 Macbook Air 8GB

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I sold a 2013 MacBook Pro last week, 8 years old and it sold for £475.
My wife was using it but it wasn't great with her online Zoom meetings for Zumba so she kept nicking my 16inch MacBook Pro :ROFLMAO:

Anyhow, I put £375 to it and picked up an M1 MacBook Air 8GB from the Apple Refurb store, cost £849.

Wow that thing flies, especially the stock apps, click Mail and it's instantly open and in your face, same with Safari, TV+, News, Music etc.
Even apps using Rosetta fly.

She was using it in bed last night, complimented on how quiet it was (as it has no fan) and the whole time she used it the base remained cold.
I was using it this morning to sort out family sharing for AppleOne and the battery had only gone down 5% even though she'd been browsing for nearly 2 hours last night.

I don't plan on using it for anything but she's extremely happy and I'm excited what Apple will release in the next 2 years with the M1 chip.

I have the MBP M1 16gb ram 512gb SSD, and it really flies, but without the fans sounding like a helicopter on takeoff!

Premier (5.57 seconds to open), After Effects (7.7 seconds to open) and rush Rush have beta apps and work well. One thing I noticed in premier is when 'rendering in to out' sections go green at various points in the timeline as opposed to from the left to the right like they used to. I put 4 4k videos in, and had them moving in the window, it scrubbed through the timeline with no jitters or stuttering.

Photoshop is native (2.45 seconds to open).

Lightroom(3.94 seconds to open and empty catalogue), Illustrator (6.42 seconds to open) and Indesign (6.11 seconds to open) all run on rosetta2, but are as quick as my old i7 2015 mbp.

The Mac apps are lightning and you are right about the battery!!!

It is amazing what they have done, and the prices are very good for what you get.

T

I bought the M1 Mac Mini and so far very happy with it. It has a fan but I've never heard it spin up :)

Yes there are a few issues with Photoshop native app (compatibility with older plug ins) but I guess it's a price you pay for being an early adopter.

I'm really looking forward to LR Classic Native app being released and to see what comes from Apple in the next few years. With the way the M1 performs now, you can only imagine what the M1X or M2 will be like. I'll probably move the M1 to the office and retire the iMac and get a new Mini for my photography when it's released.

Exciting times.

Really looking forward to the new iMacs (y)

Reactions: SO8
https://debugger.SPAM/why-is-apples-m1-chip-so-fast-3262b158cba2

Interesting read if you want to know why your M1s fly so much.

Back