M25 Crash

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
This was taken with my friends camera, he was in the van out of shot,
NOBODY was hurt,

Looks like theres some people fortunate to be alive tonight.

Why don't people just leave themselves some more room? There's got to be some silly tailgating going on for shunts like that to happen. Very lucky for everyone involved in that, it could have been very nasty.

Eep. Hope somebody's got a jumbo-sized bottle of T-Cut(tm).

:eek: They are VERY lucky to get out of that unhurt.

Like CT says, no doubt some serious tailgating is likely to have gone on. Why do people just not leave themselves more room? It's really common nowadays.

A few years ago, if someone cut infront of me, I'd drop back to recreate the correct gap, and now, no sooner have you done it, it usually gets filled again. It seems safe gaps just invite people in nowadays.

Good greif!....I thought mine was bad :eek:

One thing I have always done is adhere to the '2 second rule'.
I picked the tip up from a traffic cop years ago.

You focus on a roadside object ahead as the vehicle ahead is passing it and recite in your mind (or out loud if you prefer)...

"Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule"

If you reach that object within 2 seconds you're too close.

This allows for varying speeds and always ensures you are a safe distance away from the vehicle in front.

It doesn't allow for the numpty driving up your backside though.

It looks like early morning bright sunlight may have been a contributory factor in this accident.

I always drive by the 2 second rule...doubled to 4 in wet weather (Its w0t I woz t0rt anyway :D)

If someone sits up your backside, then the trick is to 'pass back' an extra 2 seconds to them...

So if you're following the 2 second rule, and someone sits up yer jacksie, you drop back to 4 seconds, so in the event of something in front of you, you have extra time to slow down at a smoother pace.

One of the problems faced by a lot of truck drivers is the habit people have of trying to get past "one last lorry" on their way to a slip road or whatever, and then cutting in front at the last minute. YES a lot of tailgating does go on, but I do feel for professional drivers who are out there every day I must admit. (And before anyone says it - I don't include the "white van man" stereotype under the heading of professional drivers!)

Glad to hear there were no injuries anyhow.

ouch indeed! glad no-one was hurt....

The trouble with the two second rule - if you leave a two second gap ahead of you, some tit in a BMW cuts in. End result - you're permanently slowing down to accommodate these knobs.

The trouble with the two second rule - if you leave a two second gap ahead of you, some tit in a BMW cuts in. End result - you're permanently slowing down to accommodate these knobs.

That's true. It's extremely annoying, and the temptation is to keep closing the gap to stop them cutting in, but you're really just making a bad situation worse.

It couldn't be simpler really -if the person in front pulled a full balls out emergency stop, could you stop?

Ow! Nasty crash!

I've started having to do quite a few motorway miles as part of work and on the outward journey it is great (set of before 6am - nice!)
However returning about mid afternoon is bloody horrendous. Quite simply I will not go in the outside lane unless absolutely necessary because of the tits in beemers, SUV's and white vans who are rubbish drivers and sit far too close. Feckwits!
Other thing about tailgaiting is it causes traffic jams with the braking domino effect. The drivers sit to close to the car in front, one brakes, and a mile back the braking causes traffic to stop because they al had to brake hard.

<rant over> :)

wah.....impressive crash! Glad nobody was hurt, but it looks like a myracle that they weren't!

oh my god some one must have been looking over them people involed.must of hurt thankfully every one ok

Ouch!

I have a regular customer to my cafe who has not worked since his crash 10 years ago where his own tool box hit him in the back of his head. Lovely chap but unfortunately not all there now. Very sad!

I think more of these photos should be shown to remind drivers of the consequences of driving too close, too fast, etc.

nasty,amazing how nobody was hurt

Van drivers luck!

The police prog on BBC this evening showed the same sort of Accident on the M3, in which a 23 year girl was killed.....cause was A Mobile phone being used by the lorry driver he got 4 1/2 years and a seven year ban...

Horrific crash that - I've seen car wrecks in which people have been killed and they didn't seem nearly as bad as that. Speaks volumes about car and van safety compared to a few years ago.

That's true. It's extremely annoying, and the temptation is to keep closing the gap to stop them cutting in, but you're really just making a bad situation worse.

Doesn't it say in the Highway Code that you should pull back a little and let the gap increase again?

Doesn't it say in the Highway Code that you should pull back a little and let the gap increase again?

Indeed! I'm a very defensive driver, I drive a quick car, but I like to leave myself some thinking room. The way people cut in and out leaving all the onus on YOU to do the braking is alarming! :wacky:

Yup, that's what I always taught, was to drive defensively and drop back a bit.
It's bloody hard though, because the more you do, the more people cut in, so sometimes you end up driving closer to the vehicle in front just to make some progress. It wouldn't be too bad if it was just one or two cutting infront and 'stealing' your gap. But everyone does it now :( I'm sure they give licenses out in cornflake packets now.

The police prog on BBC this evening showed the same sort of Accident on the M3, in which a 23 year girl was killed.....cause was A Mobile phone being used by the lorry driver he got 4 1/2 years and a seven year ban...

I saw that too. Was tinkering with his works comms phone wasnt he? (Delivery driver). I used to have one when I worked for TNT.
What struck me was the dead girls sister near the end, when she said that "He was that unaware, and felt so little of the collision, he didn't even realise he'd hit my sisters car, he thought he'd hit the car infront"..(Im paraphrasing of course).

What really brings it home to me, is that I've been a professional driver for a few years now. Bus driver, delivery etc (Yes, I took my driving seriously, and I consider myself a professional driver), and I have often in the past taken risks to get the job done. Counted money / cashing up with one hand in the cash tray while driving, issuing tickets etc. And I think back to the dozens and dozens of occasions when it could have gone oh so wrong.

It dosnt help that everyone these days seems to be in such a rush to be where they want to be. No one seems to take their time in getting places these days.

It dosnt help that everyone these days seems to be in such a rush to be where they want to be. No one seems to take their time in getting places these days.

Top Gear did a test a while back - each one of the 3 had to get to some place, and they adopted different driving styles. I think Clarkson was driving like a nutter, May was sat in the middle lane, and Hammond was driving normally. Or something like that.

Clarkson did get to the destination quickest of all - but the difference in arrival times was about 30 seconds.

Top Gear did a test a while back - each one of the 3 had to get to some place, and they adopted different driving styles. I think Clarkson was driving like a nutter, May was sat in the middle lane, and Hammond was driving normally. Or something like that.

Clarkson did get to the destination quickest of all - but the difference in arrival times was about 30 seconds.

I remember that!

Or something very very similar.

They set 3 cars off, one was to be a left hand lane casual driver, another fast lane hogger, and the other car a constant changer and rusher.

They painted 1 2 and 3 on the roofs of each car and followed by helicopter? I remember that they all got to the destination literally next to each other.

leave a 2 second gap between you and the vehicle in front in bad weather increase it to at least 4 seconds...

Only a Fool Ignores the 2 Second Rule !

I use it all the time it really works...

RULE 105 In The Highway Code.....

105: Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear. You should

leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front so that you can pull up safely if it suddenly slows down or stops. The safe rule is never to get closer than the overall stopping distance (see Typical Stopping Distances diagram below)
allow at least a two-second gap between you and the vehicle in front on roads carrying fast traffic. The gap should be at least doubled on wet roads and increased still further on icy roads
remember, large vehicles and motorcycles need a greater distance to stop.

Use a fixed point to help measure a two second gap

flippin' 'eck, Tucker. that's a lucky escape.

2sec rule is great as long as no tool see's that space as his... I good rule of thumb, but sometimes a pain the behind to stick to. As Mr Transit found out.

leave a 2 second gap between you and the vehicle in front in bad weather increase it to at least 4 seconds...

Only a Fool Ignores the 2 Second Rule !

I use it all the time it really works...

Yeah, you haven't hit anything in days! :p :wave:

I've found the best method to 'discourage' someone tailgating me is a good blast of the windscreen washers, they always fall back. I was told this trick a couple of years ago and have used it successfully many times on the M25.

I live just off the M25 .....it's a car park!

Great idea mate with the windscreen washers...

Great idea with the windscreen washers.

But only one problem....Mine splash onto my windscreen :bonk: lol
Or is the splash sufficient to splash a little back onto the tailgating car?

Very much so, give it good long blast and the wiper and wind action will ensure they get a screenful as well.

Class bit of advice there Hacker. Thats well and truly logged in to the grey matter now. Taa :LOL: (y)

THe second car I had, a few years back, had a minor modification I made to help get rid of the tailgaters.

I had a small button under the dash that activated the brakelights when I pressed it, and disconnected them when I let go. They used to drop back pretty quick then.

No excuse for it at all.

I have never been found to resting my left foot ever so gently on the brake pedal to activate the lights.

Never...not me.

Back