M3 off to Miles Whitehead

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

After reading all the positive reviews from people on here using Miles, I have packaged my M3 up and it's off today for a service and CLA (as the American's would call it). I guess over 61 years, entirely mechanical things need a little work. Most of the functions work fine but the last couple rolls I am either getting a little 'shutter bounce' or rather than bouncing back, the second curtain is speeding up as it gets towards the end of the exposure. Either way, it's causing a perfectly straight, vertical darker strip at the right hand side of most frames.

Should be good as new when it comes back. The last shambles of a roll I developed has nothing much to do with that though, more my skills (or lack of as a photographer). Almost gave up after that one! Ha.

So, anyone else use and can recommend Miles for such things? His prices seemed VERY reasonable (Although probably not to Brian as it was more than £2).

You will not be disappointed.

I sent him a Mamiya 645, well 2 actually, from which I got one working model, however there was still a problem and when I spoke to him he said send it back and he would fix it for free even though it probably wasn't a result of the original repair. Good bloke.

He sorted out my AE1-P. Pricing was okay, don't have anything to compare it to. Would certainly recommend.

He's fixed everything I've ever sent him...damaged aperture blades in old lenses, broken light meters in modern cameras etc. Always for a reasonable price and his turn-around is excellent. Highly recommended.

Good bloke as I sent a lens to him with a problem and it was no different after what he thought might be the problem.....well he gave my money back.

I'm expecting a Yashicamat 124G back from Miles tomorrow, which he serviced for £65 including return postage. I think this is the third camera or lens I have sent to him.

In future I plan to maintain a smaller number of cameras with regular servicing, rather than have a larger number of almost-working cameras.

Used his services a number of times for lenses, ilm cameras and, one time, a digital camera fault.
Everything came back perfect.

His quotes are very competitive and are usually accurate.
If after beginning work, he has found unexpected issues, he has made contact to explain the cost of additional work and a choice as to wether or not to continue.

In addition, I live outside of the UK which poses him no problem and his postal fees relate very close to the tarifs of Royal Mail.

Miles will also tell you if he doesn't think he can fix a camera. I described a couple of faults in a Pentax ME, including the stand-off position of the wind-on lever not working, and he said he didn't have/couldn't get the requisite spring.

That was a few years ago, and the ME is still not fixed. Maybe I should ask him again; I should certainly get someone to do it. (The other fault is shredding the sprocket holes near the end of a film!)

Miles will also tell you if he doesn't think he can fix a camera. I described a couple of faults in a Pentax ME, including the stand-off position of the wind-on lever not working, and he said he didn't have/couldn't get the requisite spring.

That was a few years ago, and the ME is still not fixed. Maybe I should ask him again; I should certainly get someone to do it. (The other fault is shredding the sprocket holes near the end of a film!)

I assume there is some sentimental value attached to the ME?

Haven't sent anything to Miles in a while but everything he's serviced in the past has been fine since then.

he didn't have/couldn't get the requisite spring.

Perhaps keep your eyes open for a "spares or repair" ME then send both bodies for Miles to repair yours from the parts

Some great feedback here which confirms my decision to use him. Look forward to getting it back already, although being without it gives me scope to use something else for a change.

Perhaps keep your eyes open for a "spares or repair" ME then send both bodies for Miles to repair yours from the parts

Well I saw an ME at the bootie with lens and a few extras and the guy wanted £15, but did eventually buy a ME super body for £4 (told the guy I didn't want the zoom and to sell it seperatly) with the wind on jammed.....took the bottom plate off and un jammed it. (y)

M3 hath arrived with Miles. Had an email to confirm this morning. :)

sorry to jump in, but do Miles have a web site?

thanks

Just had the email to say my camera is ready.

Looking forward to getting it back and shooting it to death. Gonna cost me a fortune in processing but I really just wanna shoot everything at the moment.

Just had the email to say my camera is ready.

Looking forward to getting it back and shooting it to death. Gonna cost me a fortune in processing but I really just wanna shoot everything at the moment.

Do it yourself!! You'll save a fortune!

Do it yourself!! You'll save a fortune!

Processing is fine, it's the scanning that lets me down. I just can't get it to a level where I am happy with it. That combined with the time for colour correction, dust spotting, general faffing about, I can get the files back just how I like them, leaving minimal work to do.

Processing is fine, it's the scanning that lets me down. I just can't get it to a level where I am happy with it. That combined with the time for colour correction, dust spotting, general faffing about, I can get the files back just how I like them, leaving minimal work to do.

Gareth,

if you are concentrating on 35mm I highly recommend getting a Noritsu LS600 or a Pakon. The Pakon is the slightly cheaper lower resolution option. Both offer excellent colour, great definition compared to flatbed or plustek etc and will scan 36 exposures in a couple of minutes.

Have a word with @Taimoor - he is brilliant and will look after you.

Last edited:
Gareth,

if you are concentrating on 35mm I highly recommend getting a Noritsu LS600 or a Pakon. The Pakon is the slightly cheaper lower resolution option. Both offer excellent colour, great definition compared to flatbed or plustek etc and will scan 36 exposures in a couple of minutes.

Looking up prices and o_O :eek: but noticed while searching a handy guy for dev film, if you live very near in Huddersfied and if they accept call in...35mm and 120 for 99p
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-Fil...961082?hash=item468ea61a3a:g:9oUAAOSwWDBa~1Fs

Gareth,

I decided to keep the 67 so will be shooting both. Will probably keep using the lab I use currently as I have a good relationship with them and I will keep working on the weak link, me.

I decided to keep the 67 so will be shooting both. Will probably keep using the lab I use currently as I have a good relationship with them and I will keep working on the weak link, me.

A workflow I really love is making hand prints in the darkroom and then scanning the prints in for sharing. It’s a workflow that’s very common amongst the film shooting fashion photographers here in London.

Back