M4/3 Lenses for video advice?

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at investing in a little M4/3 system as a bit of a "do it all" solution sitting between my ageing Canon S95 which goes everywhere and my also ageing Nikon D90 plus lenses which hardly goes anywhere (but does get used heavily sporadically, if that makes sense).

Prime usage will be adventures - in the hills on bike or on foot, around town and on a trip to South Africa next year. Stills need to be good (but I'm not too worried about that) and video is also very important as I'm looking to put together a few videos of better quality than I can manage with a cheap Go Pro copy (which actually isn't as bad as you might think).

I've pretty much settled on a Panasonic GX7 body as they're sensibly priced now and look to tick all the boxes on both sides comfortably (I'm not too fussed about 4k as videos are really only for my benefit and I've only recently got a HD telly!). Where I fall down a bit is on lens choice.

Because I'll be shooting a bit of video of moving MTBs manual focus is a must, and because I'll be shooting big landscapes in places like the Lakes and the Peak I'll definitely want something wide. I was looking at the lower end wide zooms (Panasonic 12-32 and the 14-45 kit) which should both be wide enough but I don't think offer manual focus? The 14mm 2.5 looks good but is a bit more expensive - are there any other good (and preferably cheap) options in missing?

I'll also be getting a decent prime, most likely the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 which I believe will manual focus happily?

Then I'll also be getting a longer zoom, most likely the 45-150 which is unlikely to get used for video or that much in general but will come in handy now and again and seems pretty cheap.

I'll probably also pick up a converter ring so I can use either my Nikon 50mm 1.8 or the tank like Zenit I have for some nice old school video...

Does this sound like a sensible setup to those of you that know M4/3 (which is all new to me).

One thing to consider with Panasonic lenses is that the focus rings are all "by wire", which makes pulling focus a bit awkward. Won't matter as much with wide angle lenses as the DoF will probably be deep enough for you not to have to pull focus anyway. I think you can manually focus with the 12-32, but you have to use the camera controls (touch screen or 4 way buttons).

Back