M42 Nebula

Wow! Your dedication paid off here!

Well done, didnt think this would have been done with a 70-200

Thanks for the info Gaz, this is really quite a good thread to help me decide whether to invest in a star tracker! And whilst I think your picture is rather exceptional, the great part is that with a bit of effort from my behalf, it does seem achievable. Really glad you shared the pic along with the info too.

Well if you do decide to go down the tracker route then any help I can give you regarding anything then drop me a line. There is a lot of info out there but picking out the most suitable can be the problem.

Trust me, if I can do this anyone can.

Thank Gaz. Like most of us I'd rather not go too daft when it comes to buying new kit! Is there any in particular you'd recommend? I Googled Star Adventurer Tracker Mount but there were quite a few options that appeared.

Thank Gaz. Like most of us I'd rather not go too daft when it comes to buying new kit! Is there any in particular you'd recommend? I Googled Star Adventurer Tracker Mount but there were quite a few options that appeared.

I'm not that knowledgeable about these things but I'm happy with mine. I think its a reasonable compromise between cost and performance.

This is an 8 minute exposure @ 17mm, ISO 400, f5.6

Its a crop at 100%

8 Min Exposure

I'll certainly look into it. I was going to pop out last night until I realised the remote release for the old camera doesn't fit the new camera - so tried downloading a Canon app to remotely operate the shutter but couldn't figure out how to hold it open in bulb mode - and the moon was up - so didn't bother in the end. :D

You and I need to have a chat soon Gaz... I'm looking into starting astro-photography but my head's up my backside! There's so much information to take in.

I'm struggling to decide which telescope and mount to go for. I know I really need something solid like an HEQ5 but it's bloody expensive. What did you shoot that with 'cos it's amazing and it's exactly what I'm looking at doing. :)

See you soon,
Si

You and I need to have a chat soon Gaz... I'm looking into starting astro-photography but my head's up my backside! There's so much information to take in.

I'm struggling to decide which telescope and mount to go for. I know I really need something solid like an HEQ5 but it's bloody expensive. What did you shoot that with 'cos it's amazing and it's exactly what I'm looking at doing. :)

See you soon,
Si

Hi Si.

Hope all is well with you and your family. Took this with a skywatcher star adventurer tracking mount. 6D and 70-200 + 1.4. Going to stick with lenses for now. Felt that the star adventurer was a good starting point for not a huge amount of money. HEQ 5 would be ideal but as you say its not cheap and I don't know if I want to go there yet.

I've done a lot of research into this, both taking and processing. Drew is reviewing the mount for WEX and so far its pretty good. I think with a telescope it would be a bit small but im going to have a go with my 500mm on it. I've had the 100-400 on it with no trouble at all and got 2 minute exposures from it.

Probably the next step for me is to buy an autoguider and try and improve the tracking. Just trying to work out a mounting system because thats where using a lens fall down a bit. Harder to mount an auto guider.

Any help I can give, just ask. I'm no expert but I've learnt a hell of a lot the last month. I'll even pop up and see you. Been a while.

Take it easy

Gaz

Last edited:
Hi Gaz,

We're all good thanks... Been busy taking photos of everything except stars lately! :D

That Star Adventurer looks like a good bit of kit. I've seen them on the First Light Optics page and I'd be curious to see how well it'd work with my Sigma 150-600 bolted to the top. It's cheap enough that I could get a half decent telescope just for viewing with. :) A friend's just bought himself a Skywatcher 130PDS and an HEQ5 (with a guide camera) and it looks very impressive. The only thing steering me away from that mount is the weight of it (although I know it's a good thing). With the little 'uns running around the house, I couldn't leave it set up downstairs and I'm damned if I'm going to lug that thing up and down the stairs every time I want to use it. :D

Give me a shout the next time you're up this way and I'll put the kettle on. It's been a long time since we had a Loop trip with Drew. :)

Take care,
Si

Very Impressive image like the detail...

Back