M42 Nikon D5000

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

New to the forums and new to SLR photography,

I recently bought a Nikon D5000 with standard kit lens, Over the weekend I met up with a friend who has a 50mm f1.8 lens with an M42 mount and getting extremely good results from it.

Are there any other m42 fit lenses that I could pick up for cheap on Ebay that anyone can recommend?

Also are there any other 'old style' type of lenses I can use on the D5000 with different mounts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

One alternative to M42 would be Tamron Adaptall lenses. Basically you need an adaptor to suit your camera, and then any adaptall lens fits to the adaptor. Google it or have a look on ebay. I have a 28mm f2.8 and its a nice lens. Be warned though, everything will have to be done in manual. Oh and welcome to TP!!!!

Welcome to TP (y)

So long as you know about the limitations of your camera with older lenses, you can also use the Tamron Adaptall-2 range, which includes 17, 24, 28, 90, 135, 200 and 300mm and several zooms. An M42 mount is one of the cheapest, and could be used with an M42-to-Nikon adapter, but you'd be better getting one or more Nikon mounts, which are marked N-AI or N-AIS (I think).

In M42 mount, some of the Pentax Takumar range are very highly regarded, but not "cheap cheap". Same for Carl Zeiss. Look out for SLR kits, complete with several lenses.

Thanks Wisemen,

I underestimated the cost of different lenses when buying the D5000 :p

Another one added to my watch list on Ebay!

Cheers!!

Pick up a Helios 44-2, it's a 59mm f/2 lens, usually goes for about £10-30 on fleabay, but if you get a good sample, it's a legendary lens.

When you go for an M42 adapter, there's 2 different types.

One has a little optic inside it allowing you to retain full focus range through to infinity. This is the one I use, they're £6-15 on eBay depending on whether you order from HK/China or the UK.

The other type doesn't have the glass inside it, and essentially acts like a really short extension tube, allowing you to focus maybe an inch closer, but will not let you focus to infinity.

Thanks Photon,

May be a silly question but I have been lookin at old SLR packages with lenses included but am unsure as to whether the lenses are M42 fit.

Is it just a case of finding the name of the lens and googling it to find out if they are M42 fit?

I take it that the M42 fit lens was quite common as there seems to be a lot of choice on Ebay. Were there any particular cameras that used the M42 fit?

Thanks again for the quick responses :)

From what I have heard you will not have any metering with an M42 lens on a D500 either
You've only ever been able to meter MF lenses with what Nikon considers to be pro bodies, which is D100, D1/h/x, D200, D2/h/hs/x/xs, D300, D3/s/x.

But, just take a shot, look at your histogram, and adjust accordingly. I do that even with bodies that can meter MF lenses.

You've only ever been able to meter MF lenses with what Nikon considers to be pro bodies, which is D100, D1/h/x, D200, D2/h/hs/x/xs, D300, D3/s/x.

But, just take a shot, look at your histogram, and adjust accordingly. I do that even with bodies that can meter MF lenses.

Should have bought a Canon

hi all.

isn't there some sort of split screen focusing aid you can get for the d5000?

Ben.

isn't there some sort of split screen focusing aid you can get for the d5000?

You'd have to be able to replace the focusing screen, and I've no idea if you can do that easily in the D5000 or not.

Check the Katz Eye focusing screens. If anybody has 'em, they will.

Ahh there we go, I said if anybody would have one, they would :D

and also a nice install guide with loads of pictures.

might have to get one as I like some of the old lenes.
nice and cheap to practice with.

The focusing screen is what you look at through the viewfinder. The split focusing screens generally allow you to more easily manual focus, takes a bit of the "just how good ARE my eyes?" factor out of it.

Has anyone fitted the Katzeye split screen as I really miss that feature on my old Pentax SLRs (S2 & ME Super). I have a problem with the D200 screen and the focussing points getting in the way. It seems like a good solution for £100

YB

I've seen a few D200s for sale on here over the past few months that have had the Katzeye screens fitted, so there's definitely some people on here that have done it.

I meant "d200s" as in "the plural of D200", more than one. There is no D200s model camera.

Nikon and their damn confusing letters. ;)

Pick up a Helios 44-2, it's a 59mm f/2 lens, usually goes for about £10-30 on fleabay, but if you get a good sample, it's a legendary lens.

When you go for an M42 adapter, there's 2 different types.

One has a little optic inside it allowing you to retain full focus range through to infinity. This is the one I use, they're £6-15 on eBay depending on whether you order from HK/China or the UK.

The other type doesn't have the glass inside it, and essentially acts like a really short extension tube, allowing you to focus maybe an inch closer, but will not let you focus to infinity.

58/2 ! :p . but other than that - +1 . it's amazing . i'm shocked at how good it is.

Duh, sorry, yes, 58mm f/2, can't type today. :)

I did not know you could get a M42 converter. Hmmmmmm.

I have a small pile of old m42 lenses and converters and whatnot.
Including a helios 44M-4 f2 , not quite the legendary one but close. :)

I really must look them all out and see what i have.

Thinking about it, wouldn't it be a PITA to focus with the way modern viewfinders don't have the fuzzyfocusingbitplanethnigy (insert correct technical term as I have just suffered a mind blank and cannot think of the term at all) that my old film slrs had?

Some of them have a REALLY REALLY nice appearance for video work. :)

I did not know you could get a M42 converter. Hmmmmmm.

Including a helios 44M-4 f2 , not quite the legendary one but close. :)

I really must look them all out and see what i have.

if you send them all to me I'll make you cookies ! :banana:
:wave:

Don't do it, send them to me instead, what kind of cookies would you like? and what do you prefer to dunk them in? ;)

Think I will have to raise the price from cookies :D, never thought there would be this much interest.

Dark/white choc cookies and strong black coffee for reference.
I know I will never be an admin here as I am not a huge fan of jaffa cakes:p

I think this evening will involve a scour through the old film kit and compile a list of what I have, decide what I want to keep and then perhaps flog/trade them on here (when I have the post count). Need a ttl flash and I have no funds for that type of thing ATM.

Think I will have to raise the price from cookies :D, never thought there would be this much interest.

They are definitely worth hanging on to if you're going to use them. I'm constantly keeping an eye out on fleabay for specific M42 lenses (and some random ones that show up at the right prices).

Given that many of them have aged a good 30 or 40 years now, you could get 10 samples of the same lens, all of them be extraordinary, but have very different subtle little qualities (especially in rendition of Bokeh).

I know of a few shooters that use M42 lenses that have 4 or 5 different copies of each lens they own for the different subtleties they can provide.

I originally started getting them for timelapse work, so that I could take "aperture flicker" out of the equation, and cut a step out of my post processing (that wasn't always successful anyway). Now though I love the look some of them have.

I've had a lot of them for longer than I remember, 1980's and then some i aquired in the mid 90's after my "new" film kit was stolen along with a larger share of my M42 stuff than I thought.
Got 7 or so M42 lenses left and 3 old bodies (2x practika and a zenit:eek:).

Not run any film through them for well over a decade. Unfortunately I lost my job earlier this year and currently can't afford the cost of processing film on a regular basis.

I did love B&W film through the MTL-5B, had the occasional cracking result.
What I don't understand is how I used to do everything in manual on those old beasts but when it comes to my DSLR I am confused with settings at times.:shrug:
Might be old age, might just be confidence or perhaps I'm just plain old stupid.

Anyway sorry as I seem to have hijacked this thread without thinking about it.

I'll just shut up now.

Tony

Ahh there we go, I said if anybody would have one, they would :D

Some one I know tried a split screen, I think on a D200 or was it a 300???

Any way, the focus had to be re set, and they dont work so good at less than f5.8?? I think. Any old how, it was all a faff, for little gain in his opinion, back to the standard 'D' focus.

I know little more than this, I watched, saw the problems and lost interest . . . :shrug:

CJS

Back