M42 Nikon D5000

Hi All,

New to the forums and new to SLR photography,

I recently bought a Nikon D5000 with standard kit lens, Over the weekend I met up with a friend who has a 50mm f1.8 lens with an M42 mount and getting extremely good results from it.

Are there any other m42 fit lenses that I could pick up for cheap on Ebay that anyone can recommend?

Also are there any other 'old style' type of lenses I can use on the D5000 with different mounts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi,

What do you look for when searching an M42? Well, M42 is a srew mount lens and one of the biggest names and some of the best glass is Asahi Pentax under the name 'Takumar'. As has been said there are other very good makes that are M42 screw mount lenses. The Helios that was mentioned is good when you find a good one (if you understand).

M42 on a Nikon? Yes and No. The film plane on a Nikon is different to that of a Pentax and thus the infinity focusing with an adapter problem. Adapters aint that good on a Nikon IMHO. You woud be far better off buying Nikon or a similar F mount lens.

Good Luck.

Thinking about it, wouldn't it be a PITA to focus with the way modern viewfinders don't have the fuzzyfocusingbitplanethnigy (insert correct technical term as I have just suffered a mind blank and cannot think of the term at all) that my old film slrs had?

Tony did you mean the 'Fresnel Screen'?

Bopins, all in good spirit, we all have to start somewhere...here seems to be a nice place to learn.

That is the droid i'm looking for.(y)
Been annoying me all day tryuing to remember. I get confused with fresnel as I used to be a lighting tech and its a term we used for a certain type of lantern and thats where my brain goes for that word.
Thankyou for that, I can sleep tonight now :)

Should have bought a Canon

If you bought a Canon 500D or even 550D you wouldn't have the focus confirmation feature with a M42 lens or any other that uses an adapter for mounting. You have this feature even with the old Nikon D70. ( I own both the Nikon D70 and D300). I had to buy a chipped adapter to use M42 lenses on my 550D but it was worth it.

Bopins, all in good spirit, we all have to start somewhere...here seems to be a nice place to learn.

taken in good spirit I can asure you. :)
have just ordered one of these. will update if it any good or not.

Adapters aint that good on a Nikon IMHO. You woud be far better off buying Nikon or a similar F mount lens.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are 2 types of adapter. One has the
lens element to allow infinity focus. It works flawlessly. :)

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are 2 types of adapter. One has the
lens element to allow infinity focus. It works flawlessly. :)

I have the M42 to Canon EOS adapter from Fotodiox that has the lens mounted in it to allow infinity focus. It does work perfectly. The adapter set me back $29.95 U.S.. Oh, did I mention that it has the focus confirmation chip also.

Fitting isn't that difficult, you just have to be careful.

Once I fitted mine I found that my D60 had come from the factory with the manual focus miss calabrated so that if it looked sharp in the veiw finder it wasn't sharp in the photo! Hence my first difficutlys. It was easy to calabrate the camera with the katzeye installed

Stuart

Nah I've just got the bog standard one! I the grid lines are your choice, The opti bright treatment is meant for long lens enthuasts? I think they don't recommend opit bright if you like using fast apature lenses.

Stuart

Back