M43 Macro Lens

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a M43 Macro Lens. Two questions really ....

> What are the options and what's recommended?

> I know there's a LUMIX G Macro 30mm f/2.8 ... inexpensive, small, light, can double as a general purpose/portrait lens, but I already have the LUMIX G 25mm f/1.7 that does the general purpose bit very nicely.

Cheers

Last edited:
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a M43 Macro Lens. Two questions really ....

> What are the options and what's recommended?

> I know there's a LUMIX G Macro 30mm f/2.8 ... inexpensive, small, light, can double as a general purpose/portrait lens, but I already have the LUMIX G 25mm f/1.7 that does the general purpose bit very nicely.

Cheers
The Oly 60mm seems to be pretty well regarded, although some on the OMD thread complain about difficulties in manual focusing. The Sigma 105mm 2.8 also seems a popular choice. I think that if you're photoing insects then a longer focal length is preferred so anything less than 60mm may be restrictive, if its just flowers then 30mm is probably fine.

Last edited:
Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
I have only tried and subsequently bought the Olympus 60mm
Pleased with the photos from it, focusing is ok if you use the limiter switch

OP
OP
d00d
Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks all .... so Oly 60mm for M43, it looks like, OR shall I think about using my Nikon D5300 for macro .... in future? :thinking: Hmmmm ...

For quite casual walkabouts: GX80 + 25mm is a combo I'm happy with. ... Pic

Edit My Images
No
I fancied a dabble in Macro so I bought a set of extension tubes before I got a proper lens.
It basically confirmed that I don't want to be fiddling around at that tiny scale :)

I got FOTGA ones for M43 which worked fine with my Olympus bodies and existing lenses.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskypyDQ2

There is some discussion in the Olympus owners thread about the O60mm and manual focusing I would read before you put your hand in your wallet.

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Thanks all .... so Oly 60mm for M43, it looks like, OR shall I think about using my Nikon D5300 for macro .... in future? :thinking: Hmmmm ...

For quite casual walkabouts: GX80 + 25mm is a combo I'm happy with. ... Pic
The only problem being that you will need a big chunky ,heavy macro lens .. where as the 60mm weighs a couple Of ounces and imho it’s sharper than any canon/Nikon/ sigma I have used previously

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
No
Why not try a raynox 150/250?
Because they don't work well on short focal length lenses. The DCR250 is 8 dioptres so has a focal length of 125mm. Divide that into the focal length of the lens you're using to get the magnification of the combo. With the OP's standard 25mm this gives a magnification of 0.20x - hardly worth bothering with given that the 25mm can get to 0.14x unaided.

Last edited:
OP
OP
d00d
Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Why not try a raynox 150/250?

Because they don't work well on short focal length lenses. The DCR250 is 8 dioptres so has a focal length of 125mm. Divide that into the focal length of the lens you're using to get the magnification of the combo. With the OP's standard 25mm this gives a magnification of 0.20x - hardly worth bothering with given that the 25mm can get to 0.14x unaided.
I have got a raynox 250, I play with it from time to time, different cameras different lenses, but never had much luck with it.

Last edited: