M43 wildlife help

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

My current wildlife set up is a Olympus M1 iii with a Panasonic 100-300 lens I’m loving the pro capture mode on this as well. I’m really enjoying this set up but as always I’m trying to improve my set up a bit. As such I was thinking of one of the following two upgrades

Option 1 A monopod with feet to try and help stability

Option 2 exchange the Panasonic for a Olympus 75-300 to allow use of the upgraded pro capture

What in peoples opinion is the better upgrade or any other ideas.

On a side note, is it possible to get a tripod adapter ring to fit on either the Panasonic or Olympus lens, sorry I’m not actually sure what the correct name for the part is.

Thanks once again

Jack

I think the Olympus 100-400 would worth considering.

It comes with the tripod ring foot (removable if required).

IIRC @the black fox Jeff is a 'master' of that lens.

100-400 Oly lens definitely.

It's next on my shopping list (after the 40-150 F2.8 PRO).
If wildlife's your main subject, I'd demote the 40-150 pro to after the 100-400. (y)

Some people seem to struggle with the Olympus 100-400
It needs good light and equally important sound technique.

I love my 100-400 as Box brownie says . Yes it needs decent light BUT is still very useable in poor light , technique and good p.p skills will help . Plenty of sample shots on here in either the olympus thread or the birds thread with the lens , click on any shot will take you to my Flickr stream where all exif is available .
As to your other question yes a German company make a tripod foot for the Panasonic 100-300 but it’s nearly £100 maybe more now

Thanks for all the comments I would love the 100-400 but can’t really justify the £1200 price tag off mpb. Do you think if it’s only for the pro capture then it’s not really worth the extra expense of selling the Panasonic and getting the Olympus as they both have the same max focal length

Thanks for all the comments I would love the 100-400 but can’t really justify the £1200 price tag off mpb. Do you think if it’s only for the pro capture then it’s not really worth the extra expense of selling the Panasonic and getting the Olympus as they both have the same max focal length

MPB will be lucky getting 1200 quid for a secondhand 100-400.
With cashback they are now £1064 from most of the main dealers.
https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/d...759?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=V315070BW000

Last edited:
Sorry I haven’t explained myself properly I have the Panasonic 100-300 on my m1 but because it’s not a native it will only let me use the single autofocus in pro capture so I was thinking of exchanging it for the Olympus 75-300 so that I can use the multi autofocus. But was unsure whether it’s worth the extra cost

Sorry I haven’t explained myself properly I have the Panasonic 100-300 on my m1 but because it’s not a native it will only let me use the single autofocus in pro capture so I was thinking of exchanging it for the Olympus 75-300 so that I can use the multi autofocus. But was unsure whether it’s worth the extra cost
You need to confirm that the older 75-300 Olympus is (fully?) Pro Capture compatible?

Ok thanks I will do I just assumed being Olympus it would be

Ok thanks I will do I just assumed being Olympus it would be
Modern lenses vs older lenses and their & the bodies firmware questions???

PS I suggest you check the camera manual and the body firmware updates change log as the 100-400mm lens postdates the MK3 body.

Last edited:
Having had a mk1 ,mkii ,mkiii and now on a M1X I can state that the 100-400 will work with them all , but I’m not 100 % sure on whether or not a better camera = better shots functionality .. my personal view is the mkii was the best camera of the bunch , it was just the grip issues let it down .
The mkiii and m1x have lots of bells and whistles ,often unused and unneeded . . So use your current Panasonic lens and learn better field craft and p.p skills would probably pay better dividends than upgrading unless you can spare the cash .

I think I just like spending money that I don’t have, I will carry on as I am at the moment. Thanks everyone for the brilliant advice

FWIW I have the 75-300mm Olympus bought from CEX (for considerably less than they're currently offering it now!)
I have an E-M10ii so no pro capture so I use S-AF when I'm shooting motorsport - infrequently.
C-AF isn't much cop on the M10ii so I don't bother with it.

This site has some perhaps useful thoughts for you.
IMHO the 75-300 is hard work to hand hold at the long end, esp. given it's relatively slow aperture BUT I'm using a body with much less capable stabilisation than you.
I'd be surprised if it was a big enough step up to be worth switching but sometimes change is as good as a rest....;)

Back