Mac and fuji compressed raw users

Name
stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Not long changed from windows to Mac so Im feeling my way with it slowly . I has shocked and disappointed to find that Mac won't let you view fuji raw compressed files . This is a fairly big problem for me and my work around is to drop everything into bridge just to simply view it. Is there a work around im missing ? (other than shooting in uncompressed which isn't an option)

shoot jpg copies?
I had thought that but its not ideal . I shoot weddings and could be coming home from a wedding at 1am to get sorted to leave for one at 7am. The idea of downloading all my raws plus jpegs and making sure they are all there would be more hassle than its worth for me. I just need a way to drop all the images on the Mac and quickly view them to make sure they correspond with what's on the memory cards . As I say bridge is working for me but not ideal . At the minute Im only seeing blank thumbnails in viewer so for all I know the images could be corrupt and I wouldn't know until I bring them into bridge.

Maybe try photomechanic. I'm not sure if that reads fuji compressed. If it doesn't it handles jpg and raw well and it is designed for rapid picture selection.

Maybe try photomechanic. I'm not sure if that reads fuji compressed. If it doesn't it handles jpg and raw well and it is designed for rapid picture selection.
thanks for that will have a look now. I was kind of hoping there would be some type of plugin for viewer that would just work in the background . wishful thinking!

Any good?

Thanks for that . like bridge its a separate programme that I would have to open etc just to view ,BUT it looks quicker than bridge so thank you . It could be a work around until apple pull the finger out :)

OK, having searched it seems Apple have no intention of supporting uncompressed fuji raw files. Sons of bachelors.

I suspect your only option will be a 3rd party viewer of some kind as you've discovered, or flog the apple and return to Windows (probably the better option if money is not a problem).

OK, having searched it seems Apple have no intention of supporting uncompressed fuji raw files. Sons of bachelors.

I suspect your only option will be a 3rd party viewer of some kind as you've discovered, or flog the apple and return to Windows (probably the better option if money is not a problem).
Yeah I was made to feel by all my photography friends that I was stuck in the dark ages with my windows . Apple has been nothing but hassle since I've had it lol

Yeah I was made to feel by all my photography friends that I was stuck in the dark ages with my windows . Apple has been nothing but hassle since I've had it lol

Until Apple can really capitalise on their new ARM chips there's nothing to choose between ecosystems for operation of main photo editors, but windows is a much more open, user-friendly system if the user is willing to work it. Having had a Mac as my main system for a while and then returned to Windows, I'd be very reluctant to go back to Apple where it felt like every problem wanted you to throw money at it, to buy something to make it go away when it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

Sorry I can't help with this. :(

Last edited:
If it helps, ON1 Photo RAW reads Fuji compressed files on a Mac. Not sure if I'd recommend the program over using the Fuji tools to uncompress them, but it's an option if you're considering editing software changes anyway.

I have tried using Adobe's DNGConvertor to turn a compressed Fuji into a DNG, but haven't got down to inspecting the detail of the conversion to see if the X-Trans sensor alters the quality of the conversion over using it on bayer sensor cameras.

If it helps, ON1 Photo RAW reads Fuji compressed files on a Mac. Not sure if I'd recommend the program over using the Fuji tools to uncompress them, but it's an option if you're considering editing software changes anyway.

I have tried using Adobe's DNGConvertor to turn a compressed Fuji into a DNG, but haven't got down to inspecting the detail of the conversion to see if the X-Trans sensor alters the quality of the conversion over using it on bayer sensor cameras.

If it's Fuji I'd recommend C1pro and using a session to import them and cull them that way. On1 RAW is something I have very little experience of but I am keen to try it when my new PC arrives tomorrow

If it's Fuji I'd recommend C1pro and using a session to import them and cull them that way. On1 RAW is something I have very little experience of but I am keen to try it when my new PC arrives tomorrow
I can use bridge/lightroom for culling . I was hoping there was a program that would work in the background with viewer. When I get back from a wedding I just want to run my eye over 2000 images to make sure all looks present and correct rather than having to import them all into another program but unless I shoot uncompressed raw I don't think there is going to be a fix.

Agreed - if bridge/lightroom are working for you then uncompressed RAW is the simplest way to keep the same logical workflow.

There is one way to stay compressed that I can think of (and it's untested as I don't have bridge or LR) - instead of importing from cards into your library, use the DNGConvertor app to read from the cards, and to place the output DNG file into your library. It will depend on your file/folder structure and if the autonaming that the DNGConvertor offers is rich enough to fit your needs.

(Note that I can well imagine the gains from the above aren't worth it - just wanted to float the idea)

I can use bridge/lightroom for culling . I was hoping there was a program that would work in the background with viewer. When I get back from a wedding I just want to run my eye over 2000 images to make sure all looks present and correct rather than having to import them all into another program but unless I shoot uncompressed raw I don't think there is going to be a fix.

Fastrawviewer will do this, I use this fast culling, I use this when ever I have large batches of files to go through.

Hmm, not seen Fastrawviewer before - that looks interesting: thanks !

It's extremely fast, but doesn't always give a good idea of sharpness achievable through normal post processing. There are shots I've binned thanks to FRV, only to go back again later & find that actually they're completely fine with normal levels of sharpening applied.

If its such a huge issue why shoot compressed? Preview and photos can open and edit fuji raw. Preview is especially fast for reviewing raw files without buying / adding 3rd party software. I'm sure your time is worth more than the fraction of a difference in disk space cost.

Last edited:
If its such a huge issue why shoot compressed? Preview and photos can open and edit fuji raw. Preview is especially fast for reviewing raw files without buying / adding 3rd party software. I'm sure your time is worth more than the fraction of a difference in disk space cost.
When weddings get back to normal the extra memory and time needed downloading/backing up will be a bigger issue . Over even 10 weddings the disc space difference is huge and I can be doing 10-15 weddings in a busy month . Suppose I thought if windows can do it why can't apple but I was wrong :-(

When weddings get back to normal the extra memory and time needed downloading/backing up will be a bigger issue . Over even 10 weddings the disc space difference is huge and I can be doing 10-15 weddings in a busy month . Suppose I thought if windows can do it why can't apple but I was wrong :-(

Both OS have their pros and cons ime. 15 weddings a month, a few import/edit/export ssds shouldn't be a cost issue. 6tb platters for backup are under 100 quid these days but if you want to shoot compressed then 3rd party raw viewers are probably a cheaper long term solution.

Last edited:

Apple only do things Apple's way. I find it enormously frustrating (and realise in one of my earlier posts that, due to a typo, I appeared to be endorsing them when the reverse is true) and would need compelling reasons to buy hardware from them again.

I had thought that but its not ideal . I shoot weddings and could be coming home from a wedding at 1am to get sorted to leave for one at 7am. The idea of downloading all my raws plus jpegs and making sure they are all there would be more hassle than its worth for me. I just need a way to drop all the images on the Mac and quickly view them to make sure they correspond with what's on the memory cards . As I say bridge is working for me but not ideal . At the minute Im only seeing blank thumbnails in viewer so for all I know the images could be corrupt and I wouldn't know until I bring them into bridge.

If you manually import then FRV will allow you to do the viewing & checking very quickly - likely faster than a native Mac app.

Back