Mac Experts, Opinions and advice please

Wireless cards, LAN cards, USB interfaces, just to name a few. Apple drivers natively perform better on OS X than third party stuff. Coupled with the great hardware, it's pretty tough to beat apple in that situation (not impossible, but not easy). People always forget their network cards, USB etc when they talk about "hackintosh performance". Though, I must admit, I've seen some pretty good examples of IO performance

I'm sorry but that's rubbish. A standard gigabyte board will work out the box will full performance including USB 3 and network fully working. A 13 quid USB wireless dongle plugs and plays too. Apple 'drivers' don't exist per se that's a PC thing. The hardware on a mac is nothing special and it's never been ever since they moved from the g series chips. It's cleverly implemented into nice aluminium boxes granted mind. I have a hackingtosh that if you bought a Mac Pro to compete with it would cost you nearly ten grand, I built it for a thousand. Tom, sorry to say but your ill informed in modern hackingtosh development, I'd have a read up on sites like I mentioned in my previous posts

It's great that you love your Mac, but this sort of nonsense needs stepping on. Windows hasn't been unstable since XP pre-Service Pack 2, and arguably not since the consumer operating systems moved to the NT kernel.
  • You don't get BSODs on Mac OS X, you get Kernel Panics. And they happen about as often as BSODs on Windows, which is to say, not very often at all - also, have you met my friend the Spinning Beachball Of Death? Of course you have.
  • Windows 8 boots as fast or faster than OS X
  • "Windoze"? Is it 1997 again?
  • Bloatware? Have you seen all the stuff that gets shipped with a Mac?
Macs are great computers (albeit with considerable compromises on the hardware side, but I've got no problem with anyone who goes in eyes open), and OS X is a great operating system.

No need to denigrate Windows with inaccurate information.

Yes agree with you there they both do the job well its just a matter of what you prefer
I use both a macbook pro which is great, a fantastic laptop for travelling and a windows 7 desktop
Both run lightroom and photoshop cc without any issue's

Apple users: were you aware that for every file you create in OSX there is a sidecar file, invisible to you, that the OS creates alongside it? Ever wondered why it seems to take forever to delete a large folder from the recycle bin?

???

Are you referring to Resource Forks that are accommodated by HFS file systems to store metadata about files? It's not a separate sidecar file, it's a file system fork, quite a different concept.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(file_system)

Sidecar files are usually there to accommodate file systems that don't support forking.

Having resource forks available also means files on Mac OSes have traditionally not required file extensions to identify their file types, but there are numerous other benefits.

It's entirely likely they are forks - I used the term sidecar file because they are a data file to sit alongside the main file. I'm sure there are benefits, but the net results is that you end up with at least twice as many files (possibly more, going by that article) than you thought you had.

I only have one problem with the iMac's...they're basically just giant laptops. Everything is soldered in, even the ram in the 2014 models. Something goes down you're done. Want to upgrade a component, you're screwed.

It's great that you love your Mac, but this sort of nonsense needs stepping on. Windows hasn't been unstable since XP pre-Service Pack 2, and arguably not since the consumer operating systems moved to the NT kernel.
  • You don't get BSODs on Mac OS X, you get Kernel Panics. And they happen about as often as BSODs on Windows, which is to say, not very often at all - also, have you met my friend the Spinning Beachball Of Death? Of course you have.
  • Windows 8 boots as fast or faster than OS X
  • "Windoze"? Is it 1997 again?
  • Bloatware? Have you seen all the stuff that gets shipped with a Mac?
Macs are great computers (albeit with considerable compromises on the hardware side, but I've got no problem with anyone who goes in eyes open), and OS X is a great operating system.

No need to denigrate Windows with inaccurate information.

My last laptop was a Windows Vista machine, my wife's is Windows 7 as was my work/company laptop, all were/are much slower to boot than my iMac. Before that I've used XP, 98, 95, etc. all the way back to DOS. I've built machines, repaired machines, but I'm not as expert as an IT technician. I have sometimes needed to wait 10 minutes for PCs to boot, I've experienced hang-ups, BSODs, crashes numerous times over the years on many different machines. In the year I've had the iMac, I have not had any bad experiences at all. I have genuinely no idea what a spinning beachball of death is. With any luck I won't find out.

Perhaps I've ended up with a distorted view of Windows based PCs, but it's not for lack of exposure to the hardware and software. In fairness I've not played with Windows 8, though after umpteen earlier versions I fancied a change and thought it was time for a taste of Apple Coolade. (I did try Linux for a while, but didn't like it).

The main downsides of Apple appear to be high initial cost and minimal opportunities for user upgrades. From the clips I've seen on YouTube, it looks like a large dollop of confidence and competence is needed to change out any of the main components in the iMac.

I'm not trying to denigrate Windows with inaccurate information, I'm just commenting based on my own personal hands on experience. You clearly have different experience and views...

define together.

networked? sure.

direct mode? sure.

If I get another iMac - can I connect it to the existing one that I have and use PS and LR on the new one and continue using the other as is ……. but connected together so that the new one can seamlessly directly access the hard disk on the old one?

mac mini upgrades are supposedly coming, that and a dell 27/30" IPS panel (hands down beats an apple display/tb display every time).
I thought the dell had the same panel

My last laptop was a Windows Vista machine, my wife's is Windows 7 as was my work/company laptop, all were/are much slower to boot than my iMac. Before that I've used XP, 98, 95, etc. all the way back to DOS. I've built machines, repaired machines, but I'm not as expert as an IT technician. I have sometimes needed to wait 10 minutes for PCs to boot, I've experienced hang-ups, BSODs, crashes numerous times over the years on many different machines. In the year I've had the iMac, I have not had any bad experiences at all. I have genuinely no idea what a spinning beachball of death is. With any luck I won't find out.

Perhaps I've ended up with a distorted view of Windows based PCs, but it's not for lack of exposure to the hardware and software. In fairness I've not played with Windows 8, though after umpteen earlier versions I fancied a change and thought it was time for a taste of Apple Coolade. (I did try Linux for a while, but didn't like it).

The main downsides of Apple appear to be high initial cost and minimal opportunities for user upgrades. From the clips I've seen on YouTube, it looks like a large dollop of confidence and competence is needed to change out any of the main components in the iMac.

I'm not trying to denigrate Windows with inaccurate information, I'm just commenting based on my own personal hands on experience. You clearly have different experience and views...
I've been in the IT industry for 20 years, and have done my turn as an IT technician (not for many, many years, as the allure of telling people to turn it off and on again soon fades, but the work I do now - which includes systems design and integration - means I have to keep my eye-tee nollij up to date).

I do have experience of these operating systems (and others), in a very wide variety of configurations and workloads, from tiny embedded computers up to massive servers. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly of Windows and OS X (and some exotica, like AIX and OpenVMS).

Your sample size - some PCs, and one Mac - is too small to generalise from. Both operating systems are from companies who employ the best software engineers in the world. They're both very, very good.

If you'd had my two iMacs, you'd come to the conclusion that they're lovely but utterly unreliable beasties, and thank goodness for AppleCare. The Windows 8 PC I'm typing this on has not crashed once since I got it last May. What do we draw from this? Nothing, that's what. It's three computers.

And yeah, you wouldn't catch me trying to take any of the current Macs (perhaps with the exception of the Mini) apart. I like my computers to be either tool-free, or at least responsive to a normal set of screwdrivers. If it needs spudgers and suckers and heatguns - in the words of Duncan Bannatyne, ahm oot.

over the network sure - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549

(note - for file access only. LR wont be able to load a catalogue over a network)

Thanks - as I originally said, I am happy with my current iMac except that it has slowed down considerably in LR since I started using a D7100 - the basic problem I have is that if I click on the image so that it zooms in to 1:1 or 3:1 it seems to take 5 to 10 secs minimum before the image is in focus, i.e. it has loaded fully.

If I want to compare the sharpness of say 10 or more (similar) images - e.g. the same close up shots of a Dragonfly it can take ages before they are all in focus ……… I upgraded to 8 mgbte and that improved the situation but it still takes ages when I am looking at multiple images and every time I want to do this it goes through the same slow process …. so I am spending quite a lot of time reviewing and deleting images

Are you importing without rendering previews?

Thanks

I'm not with you on that one - you will have to explain to a little more to me

OK - I see it - mine is set to minimal?

Last edited:
In the import dialogue box (LR) there is an option to render previews at time of import. I didn't check just now but something like, none, minimal, standard and 1:1.

If you import at any option other than 1:1, Lr will generate each 1:1 pic when you click on it, hence the long time waiting when you click each photo individually.

OK - I see it - mine is set to minimal?

There will be lots of advice how to speed up Lr but two methods I use are:

A - Import all photos with 1:1 preview, takes a while on import but then all photos are ready for editing at 1:1.

B - Import at standard/minimal, chose pics on filmstrip using flags, then generate 1:1 previews of flagged pics only. (Sometimes making a folder with the flagged pics via quick collection)

Basically if I am in a hurry or I know which pics I want already I will go with B, if I have time I will generate all previews

When you import into Lightroom it generates it's own previews ( you can select the size you want in preferences) You can see this take place when you import. You get an initial import progress bar, Once imported you get a second stating it's rendering previews. Now if you get it to render 1:1 previews this will make the full size view come up quicker as the 1:1 has already been produced. The downside is that it will take longer on the initial preview option as it has to render a larger file. Plus your preview file will get huge.

Now a faster machine will speed up the 1:1 render so rather than waiting 10-15 secs it will only take a few. My 2009 i5 2.66GHz machine takes 4 secs to render a 1;1 from a 5Dmk3 file. I suspect a more modern machine would probably halve that

Thanks - as I originally said, I am happy with my current iMac except that it has slowed down considerably in LR since I started using a D7100 - the basic problem I have is that if I click on the image so that it zooms in to 1:1 or 3:1 it seems to take 5 to 10 secs minimum before the image is in focus, i.e. it has loaded fully.

If I want to compare the sharpness of say 10 or more (similar) images - e.g. the same close up shots of a Dragonfly it can take ages before they are all in focus ……… I upgraded to 8 mgbte and that improved the situation but it still takes ages when I am looking at multiple images and every time I want to do this it goes through the same slow process …. so I am spending quite a lot of time reviewing and deleting images

I think that's because of file size. I'm running a well-spec'd machine just a couple of months old, and 20MP raw files take a few seconds to render 1:1 to check sharpness, especially if I've been using the machine for a while and have other programs running. Your D7100 has a 24Mp sensor, so it's got an even bigger overhead.

Last edited:
Thanks All - very helpful

as I said if I take close ups or macro of a Damselfly, I take maybe 20 shots to try to get the best DOF - I then want to look at all 20 at 1:1 to assess sharpness and chose the best 2 or three ............. it is taking ages as I can only do two or three at a time but I would like to quickly whisk through them all without waiting for each to load

I would like to upgrade my iMac which is a 2009 model with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3, MIVDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB Graphics and 640 GB of storage

I have had it a few years now and it was good with LR and PS when I used my D300 but it has slowed down now that I have a D7100

I am retired and spend a lot of time at my computer screen

I also have a similar aged MBP

I have looked at the iMac and the MacPro and it looks like I will have to spend £3k to £5k, (Pro with screen), to get a really worthwhile upgrade

I looked at the following iMac spec

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/imac?product=ME089B/A&step=config

The Pro is a lot more expensive especially when you add the MacScreen onto it ……… is the Pro plus Apple Screen so much better than a 27' iMac?

What do you Mac experts think?

presumably I should buy new, (I can probably get that VAT back as I need it, (as well), for a project I am doing for a UK company), and not consider any used stuff on Ebay

I much prefer a Mac over a PC?
If you want an apple go to the fruit store yo!

I'm sorry but that's rubbish. A standard gigabyte board will work out the box will full performance including USB 3 and network fully working. A 13 quid USB wireless dongle plugs and plays too. Apple 'drivers' don't exist per se that's a PC thing. The hardware on a mac is nothing special and it's never been ever since they moved from the g series chips. It's cleverly implemented into nice aluminium boxes granted mind. I have a hackingtosh that if you bought a Mac Pro to compete with it would cost you nearly ten grand, I built it for a thousand. Tom, sorry to say but your ill informed in modern hackingtosh development, I'd have a read up on sites like I mentioned in my previous posts
Just speaking from discussions I've had with people who have tried hackintoshes before here.

USB isn't PCI. I hate having those USB wireless dongles sticking out my machines, especially when I move my box and they snap ;)

However, you could be right. I am possibly being fed complete BS by people who failed to build a good machine.

Just speaking from discussions I've had with people who have tried hackintoshes before here.

USB isn't PCI. I hate having those USB wireless dongles sticking out my machines, especially when I move my box and they snap ;)

However, you could be right. I am possibly being fed complete BS by people who failed to build a good machine.
You can have pci wireless cards too that work just fine.

Thanks All - very helpful

as I said if I take close ups or macro of a Damselfly, I take maybe 20 shots to try to get the best DOF - I then want to look at all 20 at 1:1 to assess sharpness and chose the best 2 or three ............. it is taking ages as I can only do two or three at a time but I would like to quickly whisk through them all without waiting for each to load

Just a thought... you may have time machine and Spotlight indexing your import directory and LR preview data. That will slow it down massively. I always disable these 2 places from any indexing / backups. I don't need temp files backed up...

Also for some reason LR works much faster in Develop module than Library...

Just a thought... you may have time machine and Spotlight indexing your import directory and LR preview data. That will slow it down massively. I always disable these 2 places from any indexing / backups. I don't need temp files backed up...

Also for some reason LR works much faster in Develop module than Library...

Thanks Jeremy

How do I find out if Time machine, which is running all the time, and Spotlight are "indexing"?

Thanks Jeremy

How do I find out if Time machine, which is running all the time, and Spotlight are "indexing"?

They are, unless you specifically excluded that location in the preferences.

You can have pci wireless cards too that work just fine.
Yep, I figured that. Sadly, the stuff I've been fed by hackintoshers for years, combined with my slight apple bias kinda tilted me to being really negative about hackintosh :)

If I was in such love with how Apple devices feel, I'd consider building a hackintosh now you've cleared things up - but sadly, the build quality + general feel (especially the touchpad on notebooks) is pretty near unmatchable from what I've seen.

Yep, I figured that. Sadly, the stuff I've been fed by hackintoshers for years, combined with my slight apple bias kinda tilted me to being really negative about hackintosh :)

If I was in such love with how Apple devices feel, I'd consider building a hackintosh now you've cleared things up - but sadly, the build quality + general feel (especially the touchpad on notebooks) is pretty near unmatchable from what I've seen.

Can't argue with the build quality mate, I really can't. My lappy I's a mb pro. My workstation is a hackintosh though, just can't abide the price and spec of the mac pro even if it looks like a black coke can!

The touch pad and keyboard both work fine o my hack Btw. ;-)

I only have one problem with the iMac's...they're basically just giant laptops. Everything is soldered in, even the ram in the 2014 models. Something goes down you're done. Want to upgrade a component, you're screwed.

Agreed with you there, I was going to get a new iMac myself but the slim design meaning everything is stuck in there as you say and if something does fail its a expensive fix! In the end I got a Mac Mini and a Eizo Foris monitor...

Can't argue with the build quality mate, I really can't. My lappy I's a mb pro. My workstation is a hackintosh though, just can't abide the price and spec of the mac pro even if it looks like a black coke can!

The touch pad and keyboard both work fine o my hack Btw. ;-)
yeah, I heard the apple peripherals work nicely

I use a laptop as my main machine. For anything requiring extra juice, I tend to outsource to AWS or my windows machine. Really though, it's a powerful laptop.

Bill

Just a thought. If you are going to get a new iMac, and decide to keep your old model, then you could use this as a second screen. You'll need aMini Display Port to Mini Display Port Cable ( Belkin ) . Simply plug one end into the older machines MiniDisplay Port and the other into one of the Thunderbolt ports of the new machine.

Back