Mac into Windows editing?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if you can transfer files written in one editing suite and have them read and then worked on in another?

To explain; I use a MacBook and would hope to take it with me on trips and save images into files on the Mac. I'm currently playing with a trial version of Aperture.

I've never played with Elements and can't afford CS3 etc but wondered if I did some work on Aperture files and then transferred them using a thumb drive onto my Windows machine, (Faster and with a large panoramic screen)would I be able to work on them?

That said, is Elements the right kind of software to be editing photos with or should I bin thelot and look at something from the sticky Open Source list?

Sorry thats a lot of questions, but I'm in a bit of a muddle.

Thanks,

Comus

Thanks Andrew,

I'm just looking at The GIMP. Might save myself a few pounds.

Thanks,

Comus

JPG, TIFF, etc. are OS-independent so no problems.

Text files are different. Windows uses CR-LF for end of lines whereas Macs use CR only (and Linux/Unix uses LF only). Any decent editor should handle it silently - some will even give you the choice when you save a text file if it wasn't in its native format when you opened it. Needless to say, Notepad in Windows is typically braindead and can't handle something so simple so shows Unix files as one long line and probably shows Mac files screwy as well :bang:

I regularly transfer fies from PC to Mac and vive versa. As stated it will have to be either tiff of jpeg. Remember though jpeg is a lossy compression system so if you want maximum quality keep to large jpeg or better tiff.

As said above it is easy to swap between the two, can you not attach the monitor from your PC to your Macbook...

Back