Mac Issues Help Required

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

Well I took the plunge and changed to a Mac and now I have one or two problems which hopefully those here who have been mac users for awhile will be able to help me sort out.

First One

Permissions.
I have admin permission, however I have just loaded CS3 for mac and when it tries to update the software it says I do not have sufficient privileges. I can load software and seem to be able to carry out everything that admin would normally do but this adobe update eludes me. I am not sure about the whole users and groups thing in mac os x if someone could enlighten me as to how I can alter user groups permissions etc I would be grateful, or point my to the problem with the cs3 issue.

Second One

Second thing is that I have purchased a Canon PIXMA iP4700 which I was going to use attached to a print server on My ReadyNASDuo, no matter what I try I just can not get it to print. My widows boxes all print fine from it but from the mac no way. Help, its doing my head in now :bang::bang::bang:

Third One

Third is accessing the shares in my Duo. It appears that I can set a path to a share in an application which works fine but the next time I come to use it the share has disappeared, how do I make the drive mount automatically and log me on to it so I can access it without this constantly happening.

Thanks in advance
Paul

RE - mounting drives at login.

Mount the drive whilst logged in, so it shows in the desktop/in finder.

Then click the Apple top left, choose system prefs and then choose accounts. In accounts, under your user, click 'login items' then press the + symbol. Browse to the mounted drive and press add. This should mount it at every login.

Thanks,

Mark

RE - mounting drives at login.

Mount the drive whilst logged in, so it shows in the desktop/in finder.

Then click the Apple top left, choose system prefs and then choose accounts. In accounts, under your user, click 'login items' then press the + symbol. Browse to the mounted drive and press add. This should mount it at every login.

Thanks,

Mark

Spot on (y) just learnt something useful with that

Cheers

Paul

Sorry if this is long winded, got to get this off my chest.

I have been trying to sort out the problem of not being able to print from my Canon Pixma Ip4700 from the Netgear Duo Nas which has its own print server inbuilt. I tried everything and eventually contacted Canon to get the response below

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Canon. In reference to the previous Ticket No. 000000000565293, which we stated we don't support 3rd Party Hardware. Net Gear is 3rd Party as far as Canon are concerned. The printer should be connected directly to a PC/MAC to insure proper functionality. Since the Net Gear Printer Server is involved might we suggest you contact Net Gear UK at the following phone number: 0844 875 4000. Can can not trouble shoot the Net Gear Printer Server as we have no specifications for the product in question. As a possible work around you could connect the printer directly to either the PC or Mac and enable printer sharing. Below is a link explaining printer sharing.

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/System/Search.aspx?TcmUri=tcm:14-670014&Search=sharing &SearchType=3

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and we hope this answers your query sufficiently.

Infuriating I am still boiling over this. First off my Windows machines will all print fine from the NAS. Secondly it appears that there are lots of people experiencing the same sorts of problems with various print servers. Thirdly its because the canon drivers do not support the Mac network, which basically means that if you run anything other than windows your stuffed.

I just downloaded and installed TurboPrint and now my Mac is printing, not fully tested but it appears fine. Am I wrong to be angry, shouldn't the Mac be as important as a Windows box after all the mac is used extensively in the graphics industry. Why do canon feel that they can respond in such a maner to a customer who as just bought their product.

I changed over to the Mac from windows because I wanted to avoid down time and now after two days of trawling through loads of info i find a solution that is going to cost me and the windows user gets it for free because Canons driver works over the network.

Rant over for now

sounds like a boggo standard support response for all canon know its the print server causing the issue so thats the first port of blame.

im curious that you say mac drivers arent network supported? do they state this?

to be fair on canon, it sounds like they were shafted by apple over snow leopard so maybe theyve got the hump lol

Hi Neil

No they don't say that their drivers are not networked supported but the Web does, over and over and over again. It appears that the majority of users who are using a print server to print with when using a canon product are having to resort to the CUPS drivers which give limited functionality.

Yes I guess it is a stock reply but I don't think it right that mac users should be fobbed off like that but I guess I will not get that far with it but I will give it a go. I have now got issues with CS3 and the mac:bang::bang: it just gets worse:bang::bang: I just want to get on with work:bang::bang:

:LOL::LOL:

Hi Neil

No they don't say that their drivers are not networked supported but the Web does, over and over and over again. It appears that the majority of users who are using a print server to print with when using a canon product are having to resort to the CUPS drivers which give limited functionality.

Yes I guess it is a stock reply but I don't think it right that mac users should be fobbed off like that but I guess I will not get that far with it but I will give it a go. I have now got issues with CS3 and the mac:bang::bang: it just gets worse:bang::bang: I just want to get on with work:bang::bang:

If there is an option of using 'Bonjour' on the Duo and it's switched off, turn it on. I bought a IP4700 last night and plugged it in to by TimeCapsule (which is also serving as a wireless router) and it worked straight away. The only thing that doesn't work is the Maintenance Utility which only supports USB. Both my MacBook and iMac found the printer immediately using 'Bonjour' which of course is supported by the TimeCapsule.

I see you're using Leopard rather than Snow Leopard and I'm surprised that you're having trouble with CS3. I had been using it for 18 months or so before with no trouble what so ever. Only when I upgraded to Snow Leopard did I start having problems with it. There is a significant patch coming out for Snow Leopard this month apparently which will hopefully solve a lot of that though. Not that it will make any difference to you on Leopard. Depends on the nature of your trouble with CS3 I suppose.

If you could help me out here I would really appreciate it (might stretch to a virtual beer) :LOL:

If there is an option of using 'Bonjour' on the Duo and it's switched off, turn it on. I bought a IP4700 last night and plugged it in to by TimeCapsule (which is also serving as a wireless router) and it worked straight away. The only thing that doesn't work is the Maintenance Utility which only supports USB. Both my MacBook and iMac found the printer immediately using 'Bonjour' which of course is supported by the TimeCapsule.

I have tried using bonjour and I can not find the driver. I have looked in Library /Printers/Canon but no drivers :shrug: . I ran the installation disk and followed the steps but it did not leave any drivers in the library. I am lost for ideas, don't know where I am going wrong but the fact the you have got yours working over a network does provide hope because there are a lot out there that haven't.

Cheers

Paul

If you could help me out here I would really appreciate it (might stretch to a virtual beer) :LOL:

I have tried using bonjour and I can not find the driver. I have looked in Library /Printers/Canon but no drivers :shrug: . I ran the installation disk and followed the steps but it did not leave any drivers in the library. I am lost for ideas, don't know where I am going wrong but the fact the you have got yours working over a network does provide hope because there are a lot out there that haven't.

Cheers

Paul

Bonjour is a discovery protocol, you don't need to install drivers on your mac because it's always running. If the Duo has recognised the printer (which it obviously has if you have Windows machines printing to it) then as log as it can advertise the printer using Bonjour then your mac should be able to locate it. I don't know anything about the Duo but I imagine there but be some sort of web admin utility(?), I'de poke around in there for any refs to Bonjour and maybe check the user manual for it too.

Page 27 in this document may help.... Yoink!

With my TimeCapsule advertising the printer with Bonjour, I literally just go in to Sys Pref, Printers, Click the + to add a new one and I get this...

Then as long as you have already installed the driver (I did that by installing it on USB first), after you select the printer, you can select the correct driver from the drop down at the bottom and you get all the proper functionality when printing (except the maintenance tool as I said before).

Thanks for taking the time, appreciated

Tried everything, I don't get the same screens as you

My first screen:

Picture5.png

This provides three options on the drop down 1 Auto Select which when I select this it does nothing other than return me to the "please select a driver or print model. 2 Other which allows me to browse to a location to select the driver or 3 which gives me the next screen shot with what appears to be all the drivers that are loaded into the system

Picture6.png

I can select the highlighted selection which is the nearest I can get to it and this will then give me the last screen shot

Picture7.png

whereby it just sits there saying printing and chokes the network speed so it must be doing something but what I have no idea.

So still stuck :bang::bang:

:help::help:

I am not sure what the problem is with question 1 can you just explain a bit more.

Question 2 is being sorted

Question 3... Create the share then goto Accounts within System Preferences click on your user in the left hand pane and then in the right hand pane click on Login Items. Then click + and it brings up the file box, click on the share and click ADD. That share will then be reconnected at login.

Have a look at the link in my sig for "MacOS Top Tips"

EDIT: Didn't notice someone else had already answered this!

Firstly thanks all the help is appreciated.

Yes I did first install the printer on the mac and it worked fine no problems at all. I will run through doing it again this morning and see if it makes any difference. The drivers have to be somewhere and Libarary is where they are supposed to be so I guess that from installing on the mac to installing on the print server they have somehow been overwritten or deleted. I do have each of the available drivers seperately which I downloaded from Canon site so might try loading them first. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

CS3 is loaded, and it was loaded under my account which is an admin account. The installation went perfectly no errors and everything there. opened each application and a few seconds after opening it gives this error
Picture8.png

I have done the usual search on the web and there have been lots of references to the updater being very finicky but I found several references to using this in Terminal
We can solve this by opening Terminal (in your Utilities folder under Applications) and running a unix command line giving it full access to your system.
(Ok the following line displays poorly in the blogger template, however it should be easy to select and then cut and paste into your Terminal app.)

sudo /Applications/Utilities/Adobe\ Utilities.localized/Adobe\ Updater5/Adobe\ Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Updater

Copying and pasting that into Terminal should cause it to ask for your password. Go ahead and type in your password. Now that should launch the updater app. Assuming you have admin rights and can use sudo, the application should have all the power over you system it needs to complete an update.

So I did this and the results were as shown below
Picture9.png

I have repaired permissions and still the same I have created another user with admin permissions and again the same :thinking: Just do not seem to be making any headway with this

Thanks

Paul

Well I am still no further on with this, things are still not ticking.

Any ideas anybody or has this got everyone stumped

Cheers

Well I am still no further on with this, things are still not ticking.

Any ideas anybody or has this got everyone stumped

Cheers

I just typed adobe updater "insuff into google which came up with adobe updater "insufficient rights"

This was the first entry (adobe tech notes)

Error: "Insufficient Rights" when you run Adobe Updater (Mac OS X 10.5.x)

When you check for updates in Adobe Acrobat 8, Adobe Reader 8, Adobe Photoshop Elements 6, or any Adobe Creative Suite 3 (CS3) application on Mac OS X v10.5.x (Leopard), the Adobe Updater returns the error message, "Insufficient Rights. Adobe Updater can be run only by users with administrator rights."

SOLUTION

If you are logged in to the computer with a standard user account or the root user account, then use Solution 1. If you are logged in with an administrative user account, then use Solution 2.

Solution 1: Log in as an administrative user.

1. Quit all open Adobe applications.
  2. Log on with an administrative user account (but not the root user account). For instructions, see the articles "Switching between user accounts," "Logging out of your computer," and/or "Adding a new user account to your computer" in Mac Help.
  3. Open Adobe Updater in one of the following ways:
  4. Open Acrobat 8, Reader 8, Photoshop Elements 6, or a Creative Suite 3 application and select Help > Updates (or Help > Check For Updates).
  5. Navigate in the Finder to /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities/Adobe Updater5/ and double-click Adobe Updater.
  6. If the error message recurs, proceed to Solution 2.

Solution 2: Run Adobe Updater by opening its Unix-executable file.

1. Quit all open Adobe applications.
  2. In the Finder, navigate to /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities/Adobe Updater5.
  3. Right-click (or Control-click) on Adobe Updater and select Show Package Contents.
  4. Open the Contents folder.
  5. Open the MacOS folder.
  6. In the MacOS folder, double-click Adobe Updater. A Terminal window will open in the background behind Adobe Updater.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions in Adobe Updater. When Adobe Updater quits, you will see the message "[Process completed]" in the Terminal window. Manually close the Terminal window or quit Terminal.
  8. Note: For easier access to the Adobe Updater Unix-executable file, repeat Steps 1 through 4 above, then click once on Adobe Updater in the MacOS folder. Select File > Make Alias. Move the alias of Adobe Updater to a convenient location. Open this alias when you want to check for Adobe software updates in the future.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Adobe Updater uses the Unix command "id" to determine whether a user account has the administrative permissions that are required to install software. On Mac OS X v10.5.x, "id" returns a truncated list of user groups that may not contain the "admin" group.

Already done that Cowasaki and same again it crashes the app, but thanks and it has got me thinking a bit more because I can actual watch the instruction path step by step so might get a clue.

The additional info bit are you saying that the group admin that I might have been assigned to may not be classed as admin group?

I bought a Canon Pixma iP4700 and iinstalled it with no problems. I'm running Snow Leopard

What on a print server?

How?

Please enlighten me

Thanks

Back