Mac Monterey "restart to install update" pop up?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Today I got a popup that my Mac needed a restart to install updates. It looked like an official Mac systems pop up, but there was no option to ask for details on what the update was. But it looked like a genuine Mac popup.

I haven't knowingly downloaded any mac updates, but I do have the security auto update option ticked. I clicked on the pop up to see if it would give me any information but it just asked for my password to authorise the update. I didn't authorise it, and it went away ie the popup and the password dialogue box.

I have Sophos AV/anti-malware running and I have double checked with the the deep clean option on Clean my Mac anti-malware, and it seems nothing is on my Mac that shouldn't be there.

I'm just a bit suspicious as normally I need to instigate an update, but I wasn't aware that the auto update of security updates was ticked, So maybe this has been going on in the background, and this particular update needs authorisation and a restart..

Has anyone any experience of this. I'm running th latest version of Monterey 12.7.2

System Settings > General > Software Update

Anything showing as being needed?

Thanks, I did checked this, and there is nothing listed.
So no OS software updates.
App Store > Updates
Any Apps you use needing updating?

If not it needs further investigation.

My Mac is up to date, I’m running Monterey 12.7.2. So it’s a bit odd?

So no OS software updates.
App Store > Updates
Any Apps you use needing updating?

If not it needs further investigation.
There are certainly some apps that need updating, it was the restart that worried me, but maybe I need to systematically work through all the apps that might need updating.

I'm not sure I have been aware of any (other then Mac systemapps) that automatically download and then ask for a system restart, but this is probably a good thing to work through. I hadn't thought of it being linked to a non-system update.

My Mac is up to date, I’m running Monterey 12.7.2. So it’s a bit odd?
I thought it odd, but as Gramps suggests, I will try and manually update any out of date apps. Clean My Mac lists any that need updated so I will have a look at that..

Nothing to do with a Mac but I have had a couple of pop ups requesting me to install android updates on my tablet,when I check there are no updates available.

Nothing to do with a Mac but I have had a couple of pop ups requesting me to install android updates on my tablet,when I check there are no updates available.
I've searched the Internet and have found nothing to suggest a Mac update being available, which has added to my suspicion. Actually that isn't correct as there has been a minor update of firmware for magic mouse/keyboard etc, which I don't have.

Take a look at Safari Extensions. Go to Safari-Preferences-Extensions Tab. Remove any that are suspicious.Extensions.jpg

Restart you mac and see if it returns.

Restart you mac and see if it returns.
I will do that once I've finished updating everything that needs updating, except for the ones that I need to pay to update !

I'm assuming that since it needed me to authorise the update, a restart without authorisation will be safe.

Maybe I should add this isn't a pop up in the browser, but a normal notification pop up in the top right hand corner of the screen.

It is probably a security update, do you have the same as me checked ???
I only do the security ones, I like to install other updates when I see fit.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 18.39.49.jpg

It is probably a security update, do you have the same as me checked ???
I only do the security ones, I like to install other updates when I see fit.

View attachment 412154
Thanks, and yes, I have this setup as you do. But reading up about it, this setting is meant to allow these security and system updates to install without user interaction.

I think I said in an earlier post that I wondered if this was the culprit, and for some reason this particular update needed a restart.

I have now been searching forums and find any mention of any malware/hack to match what I'm seeing. Except for fake virus warnings which are result of "catching" some malware from a website that sets up push notifications, that look like system notifications. BUT I have checked for this and kind find anywhere that I've allowed website notifications..

Well, I have updated everything I can (none of which needed a restart), and found out that Apple's XProtect had updated itself this morning.

I plucked up courage to restart, and immediately ran Clean My Mac's Malware deep clean. It gave a clean bill of health and so far (just over an hour) there has been no "Restart" notification pop up.

Hopefully, the issue has "fixed itself", but it's always a bit concerting when things like this happen and it's no obvious why they have been fixed.

Back