Mac or pc desktop...AHHH!!!!!

Edit My Images
No
ok... so... first off, this is not spam, or inted to be contrivertial, im having a genuin problem deciding... :)
so a bit of background, ive used both macs and pcs in the past and i have no preference when it comes to operating system... this Pc will be used in a comercial studio enviroment, where people will see it every day... the most stringent task it will ever be put through is photo editing, with an occasional amount of video editing... and the budget is £1,000:) so here are the options:

PC:
  • CPU - Intel Core i7 920 D0 (4 x 2.66GHz) 8 MB 4.8GT/s
  • Memory - Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) XMS3 1333MHz - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
  • Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 - 512 MB - 2xDVI/VGA (Palit)
  • hard drive - 2x 500 GB SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 16MB
  • monitor - 25.5" Asus (VW266H) Widescreen TFT - Black - HDMI/DVI-D/VGA - 2ms - (HD 1080p)
  • operating system - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included

totals: £1087

Mac:

• CPU - 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Memory - 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 16
  • GBGraphics card - ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
  • Hard drive - 1TB Serial ATA1; 7200 rpm
  • Monitor - 27-inch (viewable) LED-backlit glossy 16:9 widescreen TFT active-matrix display; 2560 by 1440 pixels; millions of colors; IPS technology
totals £1169

spec wise... except the beautifull screen, the Mac is beat in every way... yet i cant help thinking its still the right tool for the job, it will look right, show off my images beautifully, and has higher spec than the current pc i use (which runs CS3 no problem)... but then i look back to the pc with its amazingly fast prossesor and better spec...

gah!!!! someone help me..

Would you be building the PC yourself?

If that's the case then i'd go for a cheaper GFX card (why do you need it if it's for photo editing?) and get a nice case (look at Lian Li) if the case will be on display (not a nasty plastic thing that normally comes with shop bought PCs). Why the 2x 500GB HDDs an not a single 1TB HDD like in the iMac?

As for the screen I have no idea what it's like but I'd err to the side of a Dell, they do a 27" display too (same screen as the mac but not LED backlit which makes no difference in real life unless you want it as bright as the sun...).

However with the Dell screen and Lian Li case you are looking at spending upwards of £800 if you are lucky, doesn't leave much for actual hardware (although you could do it inside the budget for the mac if needed). You could always go for the much cheaper 24" one however.

The other option PC wise is you could always look at the Sony (or HP I think) all in one machines, although I can't see many being around £1000.

EDIT: Looking at the Sony all in ones you have the L series (£1100) but for important specs it's beaten by the imac (slower processor, smaller screen but faster GFX card...) so you'd be better of with the imac.

£1100 for a 27" screen and hardware is dirt cheap, is the mac used?

Would you be building the PC yourself?

If that's the case then i'd go for a cheaper GFX card (why do you need it if it's for photo editing?) and get a nice case (look at Lian Li) if the case will be on display (not a nasty plastic thing that normally comes with shop bought PCs). Why the 2x 500GB HDDs an not a single 1TB HDD like in the iMac?

As for the screen I have no idea what it's like but I'd err to the side of a Dell, they do a 27" display too (same screen as the mac but not LED backlit which makes no difference in real life unless you want it as bright as the sun...).

However with the Dell screen and Lian Li case you are looking at spending upwards of £800 if you are lucky, doesn't leave much for actual hardware (although you could do it inside the budget for the mac if needed). You could always go for the much cheaper 24" one however.

The other option PC wise is you could always look at the Sony (or HP I think) all in one machines, although I can't see many being around £1000.

EDIT: Looking at the Sony all in ones you have the L series (£1100) but for important specs it's beaten by the imac (slower processor, smaller screen but faster GFX card...) so you'd be better of with the imac.

£1100 for a 27" screen and hardware is dirt cheap, is the mac used?

thanks for the advice :) no the pc will not be built by me... (wouldnt even attempt it... :p) that was just a spec i was given by a friend who works building custom made pcs... and having a look around it seemed fairly representable of what i could afford... but yes i guess i could cut the pc specs back if i was more concerned about appearence... ah! and now i have even more to think about...:LOL:

The PC build you provided blows the Mac away, and if the screen is the main pull for the Mac then just make sure you get an excellent screen for your Windows machine. I'm sure there are screens that match or beat the quality of the Mac one.

if you dont care about the OS then get the pc, the whole point of a mac and the reason its priced higher is because of the superior OS. if this doesnt factor then its the pc you shoild get

the i7 blows the duo out of the water. simplez.

OS wise they both do the same thing equally well so thats just personal preference.

but is the i7 required for editing photos? my worry is is that its overkill...

As you say, the spec of the PC you've designed blows the mac out of the water. If you want sheer performance the choice is obvious. However, if the desktop's going to be part of a studio, I'd be careful what case you buy for it. Don't go buying a pre-teenager style neon flashy affair like I did when I was younger xD I reccomend something like the Antec P182, it's a very smart case.

With regards to the screen, you could quite happily cut back on spec of the tower itself, and get a better monitor, and it'd still be faster than that iMac. I imagine your photos should be fantastic in their own right, and not rely on the flavour of the monitor framing them :p

EDIT: With regards to the last poster, if an i7 is overkill for photo editing, an i5 or even the AMD Phenom II 965BE (the two are pretty much equal) are plenty fast, and again, faster than a Core 2 Duo. I have a macbook myself, but I also have a desktop PC which I built myself. Personally I couldn't cope with the lack of upgrade path you get with an iMac compared to a desktop PC.

batch processing/exporting in Lightroom can and does use 80% or more of my quad 2.83 (LGA775 socket Core2Quad Q9550)..

Does it? I've never noticed on here, I'm on a Q6600 at the moment, quite the workhorse it is ^^

if you dont care about the OS then get the pc, the whole point of a mac and the reason its priced higher is because of the superior OS. if this doesnt factor then its the pc you shoild get

In this case it's not, the imac with 27" screen seems to be cheaper than a similar windows machine, however that imac is normally around £1400 so it would even it up a bit.

And it's not superior, it's different...

As you say, the spec of the PC you've designed blows the mac out of the water. If you want sheer performance the choice is obvious. However, if the desktop's going to be part of a studio, I'd be careful what case you buy for it. Don't go buying a pre-teenager style neon flashy affair like I did when I was younger xD I reccomend something like the Antec P182, it's a very smart case.

With regards to the screen, you could quite happily cut back on spec of the tower itself, and get a better monitor, and it'd still be faster than that iMac. I imagine your photos should be fantastic in their own right, and not rely on the flavour of the monitor framing them :p

yes:LOL: but a nice large monitor is always a bonus:p & ok... so option '3' seems to be the best so far - pc with lower spec, but more spent on how it looks/better screen...

yes:LOL: but a nice large monitor is always a bonus:p & ok... so option '3' seems to be the best so far - pc with lower spec, but more spent on how it looks/better screen...

Personally I like my Dell 2408WFP 24" 1920x1200 monitor, has a shedload of connectors, looks smart, and has a built in 4 port USB hub and card reader! All that *and* it has a S-PVA panel instead of those naff TN panels which are only good for gaming what with their high refresh rates. I don't care much for Dell computers but their monitors are fantastic :)

If looks are important then get the IMac. Otherwise it is a close call. You say you have no preference and have used both, there must be something to make you decide one over the other really, that would be a big help in your decision.

I also don't agree with others to cut back the spec if you go for the PC. If you don't like the idea of getting in and replacing stuff yourself then I would get the best you can, a case is a case is a case. Sure some look pretty, but it is still a lump that sits there.

If looks are important then get the IMac. Otherwise it is a close call. You say you have no preference and have used both, there must be something to make you decide one over the other really, that would be a big help in your decision.

I also don't agree with others to cut back the spec if you go for the PC. If you don't like the idea of getting in and replacing stuff yourself then I would get the best you can, a case is a case is a case. Sure some look pretty, but it is still a lump that sits there.

I disagree with both your points...sorry! :p

It's not that hard to build a good looking desktop which is on a par with an iMac, if you choose your parts tastefully.

Also, a case is not a case is a case. If you get a cheap case, the build quality will be poor, the air flow may not be as good, and it will probably be more difficult to remove and upgrade parts. More to the point, a good case means your computer will last longer. I bet it's a damn sight easier to keep the innards of a desktop clean than an iMac!

Just my opinion on the matter anyway :)

It's not that hard to build a good looking desktop which is on a par with an iMac, if you choose your parts tastefully.

Also, a case is not a case is a case. If you get a cheap case, the build quality will be poor, the air flow may not be as good, and it will probably be more difficult to remove and upgrade parts. More to the point, a good case means your computer will last longer. I bet it's a damn sight easier to keep the innards of a desktop clean than an iMac!

agreed. lian li cases for example = lush and fantasic quality.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilgates/sets/72157622971584567/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilgates/sets/72157620975136107/

edit - did i really just use the word lush?

Have a look at the Dell 2207FP (I think) monitor, if it's going to be used to edit photos get somthing better than a TN LCD. Wiki has lots of info on the differnt types.

Have a look at the Dell 2207FP (I think) monitor, if it's going to be used to edit photos get somthing better than a TN LCD. Wiki has lots of info on the differnt types.

now im not overly versed in Monitor tech...:LOL: someone fill me in (in idiots terms:p) about the different types, and why the dell is better than the macs... ive always heard good things about the mac...

In this case it's not, the imac with 27" screen seems to be cheaper than a similar windows machine, however that imac is normally around £1400 so it would even it up a bit.

those specs dont look similar to me. the specs of the pc look higher.

And it's not superior, it's different...

thats your opinion and you're entitled to it :)

The only problem I see is the monitor in the PC package. Looks like a TN panel. Back off the spec on the PC a little, you can still go quad core and have a decent amount of memory and get a better monitor. However, the iMac will look nice and whilst not being as fast as the PC will still do the job very well. I would not worry about the OS, they do the same things and W7 is as stable as anything.

So I think you have a choice only you can make really!

Can you show me a pc that looks as good, and is as stylish and neat a solution as the 27" Imac? No case, no excess wires The Imac is a thing of beauty and a modern design classic. For me looks wise it cannot be beat

Yes the Lian Li cases are nice, but they are still a box you have to find space for, and cheaper cases will do the same job, albeit not as nice looking.

I think the OP has already made up his mind when he says he doesn't feel the PC is right for the job. I think that is more important that what any of us say.

Can you show me a pc that looks as good, and is as stylish and neat a solution as the 27" Imac? No case, no excess wires The Imac is a thing of beauty and a modern design classic. For me looks wise it cannot be beat

Yes the Lian Li cases are nice, but they are still a box you have to find space for, and cheaper cases will do the same job, albeit not as nice looking.

I think the OP has already made up his mind when he says he doesn't feel the PC is right for the job. I think that is more important that what any of us say.

yes... i had made up my mind... but ever since ive been trying to talk my way out of it:LOL: :p the mac is stunning, and would look/show my pictures awsomely... however i my main concern (hence why writting this thread) was the spec... in say 3 years time, the mac will be quite out of date, with very little room for upgrade... however the Pc will still have an average spec, and even when it does go past its prime, it will be much easier to upgrade... so thats my new dilema...

I will go with the PC desktop instead of using the MAC. There is a lot of complexity in using the MAC. Also, the price of the PC desktop is less than the the MAC.

For me the mac will suit your needs now, and into the future for a certain period, as will the PC. Unfortunately the PC will also be harder to upgrade as it gets passed by, and can be a costly upgrade, one that will not be worth it. I think of it as the £1400 PC of today is the £400 PC of tomorrow.

Same is true of Mac. You can upgrade the RAM v easily, and that should last you as long as the PC is viable.

Only my opinion, but the Mac is a thing of beauty, will last you as long as the PC, and with that said I would go for the Mac. I am biased I suppose, but so are those saying go for the PC. It really is down to you, but remember the upgrade path of a PC is not always clear cut, and certainly not viable after 2 or 3 years, although I am sure others will say different.

For me the mac will suit your needs now, and into the future for a certain period, as will the PC. Unfortunately the PC will also be harder to upgrade as it gets passed by, and can be a costly upgrade, one that will not be worth it. I think of it as the £1400 PC of today is the £400 PC of tomorrow.

Same is true of Mac. You can upgrade the RAM v easily, and that should last you as long as the PC is viable.

Only my opinion, but the Mac is a thing of beauty, will last you as long as the PC, and with that said I would go for the Mac. I am biased I suppose, but so are those saying go for the PC. It really is down to you, but remember the upgrade path of a PC is not always clear cut, and certainly not viable after 2 or 3 years, although I am sure others will say different.

Sorry, but the PC is much more upgradeable and already faster. If he wants to 'future proof' the PC is the way forward. You can upgrade the whole shebang in bits and still have the monitor lasting even longer. That just doesn't happen with an iMac.

As a Mac user I would be inclinded to say Mac, but as said, the PC is upgradable in the future should you wish to do that?

it is all down to personal preference to be honest, I would see if you can sit down with both machines (or to a similar standard) before buying and see which will suit you best

I would not buy a pc and even consider whether I could upgrade it in three years time. Motherboards will be running much faster, as will ram, hard drives etc. And they will probably be running USB3 or 4, a completely different set of video cards (incompatible) and goodness knows what else.

But if you have no particular preference for OS, then the PC will more than do the job. If you spend even less now, you could replace the whole thing in a year or two.

ANother major advantage of the PC is with a bit of luck the screen will still cut the mustard a few years time and can be used with whichever PC you buy next.

However the iMacs monitor is built and will have to be replaced when you next update the machine.

Sorry, but the PC is much more upgradeable and already faster. If he wants to 'future proof' the PC is the way forward. You can upgrade the whole shebang in bits and still have the monitor lasting even longer. That just doesn't happen with an iMac.

Everything will be upgraded by the time you need to do a major upgrade. Most of things of today will be replaced by newer technology. You can tinker to keep it a bit faster, but not a major overhaul in 3-5 years will mean a whole new system, in which time there will be progress in screen technologies, so again that is a moot point.

In 3 years time both machines will not be economical to upgrade. The same amount of money would need to be spent (OK you could maybe recycle the case of the PC)

Tech moves too fast to think anything is future proof to any extent past a year these days.

Firewire 2, USB4, OLED screens as standard, new RAM speeds, New processors with 6 cores. At least some of those will happen in 5 years, and any motherbord bought today, woudl nto support them, making most of the upgrade argument pointless, IMHO obv.

My PC is 3 years old, as powerful as the iMac and I could still upgrade it further to get more from it. It runs lightroom and PSE perfectly well and would do so even better if I popped a quad core processor in there. To say upgrading is pointless shows how bad a throw away society we have now.

To say upgrading is pointless shows how bad a throw away society we have now.

No it just shows that technology is not the most environmentally friendly industry. Upgrading components on a computer is just as bad if not worse.

Each new component comes in packaging, you still dispose parts you replace. Essentially you do the same thing as buying a new system, but one piece at a time. Eventually you replace the whole system again which means more damage.

The environmental impact is technically greater if you constantly upgrade a computer over 5 years and then replace it at 5 years or so.

The only true recycling that constantly happens in PC is the use of a case in a new system.

No it just shows that technology is not the most environmentally friendly industry. Upgrading components on a computer is just as bad if not worse.

Each new component comes in packaging, you still dispose parts you replace. Essentially you do the same thing as buying a new system, but one piece at a time. Eventually you replace the whole system again which means more damage.

The environmental impact is technically greater if you constantly upgrade a computer over 5 years and then replace it at 5 years or so.

The only true recycling that constantly happens in PC is the use of a case in a new system.

NOt if you sell your old stuff on. I never throw away old equipment like that. If it stops someone else buying new then I am happy. Anyways lets not drag the poor chaps thread completely OT.

NOt if you sell your old stuff on. I never throw away old equipment like that. If it stops someone else buying new then I am happy. Anyways lets not drag the poor chaps thread completely OT.

Yes, but you can sell either Mac or PC, and I also sell mine for the same reason, and also for the cash :LOL: Anyway sorry for the thread distraction, but it throws some food for thought into your decision in terms of upgrading I hope.

Hi the apple OS dosent need the power that the windows 7OS needs thus buying a more powerfull machine means nothing except for 7.
the mac is very quick as standard and will be in the future because of the operating system being much smaller.

Back