MAC or PC ?

Name
Sue
Edit My Images
Yes
Having just had my main PC hit by a virus four days before a horse show I was due to cover and frantically getting a laptop up and running etc in order to process the photos from the show I'm now looking at what I can do in the future to prevent this happening again. I use AVG antivirus and Comodo Firewall and don't know how this one got through.

Having just been talking to another event tog he uses MACs and has done so for 10 years or so and swears by 'em. My query is how easy would it be to "convert" to MAC use? Would I have to by new version of Office, Photoshop etc and would my current printer (Canon Pro9000) run on it? I haven't got the dosh spare at the moment but just thinking ahead.

Anyone got any views/experience on this?

I made the switch last year, and [mostly]painlessly too. Had to re-buy Office,PS ect, but that needs factoring in. Refurb models a cost effective way to go too imo.

I never got the whole mac snob thing. I eventually gave in this year and bought a mac laptop. Best thing I ever did. Seems to work easier for the way I do things. As Merovingian said you need to factor in change of software, but retty sure Adobe are pretty good if you switch platforms, so talk to them.

I would only buy mac from now on. Does that make me a mac snob, guess so. Do I miss Windows OS? Not for a second.

You can download openoffice, some people seem to have successfully transferred Photoshop for a small fee to Adobe and your printer will work.
I'm in month 17 of mac ownership, I ditched my PC's shortly after buying thr mac and haven't missed the PC yet.

As someone for ages didnt like the whole Apple thing, im a complete turn coat with a macbook and iPhone. I still have PC's (my virus sponge as i call it) but OS X is the way forward and as pointed out you can dual boot or run windows in a "window". Apart from getting used to a new OS the change is pain free.

When i first got a mac i went on forums asking the best software etc to get for it and the resounding answer was always you dont need it "they just work".

apart from the heavy weights like photoshop etc and a word prcessor it comes with everything to do anything you really need.

once you change you wont regret it

Hi Blackwijet

I did the switch from PC to Mac just about two years ago, and quite honestly have not looked back. I still have my beloved Dell laptop, which I use occasionally and I love, but if I were to buy a new computer now, it would undoubtedly be a Mac.

You can move licenses from PC to Mac, though you may have to contact the software vendor for information but it might be that you can download the demo version of the app, then use the same validation codes as you used on your PC as long as you have removed this from your PC. Check with Adobe and MS to be sure.

As for virus's - well I have been on a Mac for 2 yrs and never experienced one.

I'd just bite the bullet and go for it matey... good luck, and shout if you need help or further reassurance.

ARGH. get out.

lol thats my pet hate if you didnt know :p

if you had virus issues id change your AV program. give it a year or two and youll need AV for mac anyway.

(awaits flaming)
Speculation (or hope), but whatever... there are none now! :)

Let's not turn this into another one of those threads eh. The OP asked a simple question, and so far the replies have been helpful, let's keep it that way.

i wouldnt say speculation. goes without saying that as the number of mac users increase the people that write malware will start focusing more attention on them.

Let's not turn this into another one of those threads eh. The OP asked a simple question, and so far the replies have been helpful, let's keep it that way.

well no. its all personal preference on the way the OS feels at the end of the day as thats the only difference between Windows and OSX. but i will respond to any incorrect facts on either side..

Well, I converted to Mac 18 months ago - mainly because the iMac is almost silent in use - and I had not managed to achieve the same with my Windows PC despite spending £££££'s on "quiet" technologies.

OSX is stable and I like it, but you need to be aware that the range of applications is much less than on Windows, especially for niche products (I use electronic design software of which there is none which I am aware of on Mac) - but you can always boot to Windows (I use VMWare which I have found works very well).

I have never had to reinstall OSX due to s system failure, in fact I think I have only had one occassion where it has locked up on me (and I believe that was due to a windows program running under VMWare).

If you have a local Apple store I would suggest you go have a play, book yourself on some of their in store seminars, or book one to one sessions where the staff will show you the apps you are interested in.

My experience has been Apple store staff and their AppleCare call centre are actually quite knowledgeable.

Would I buy another Mac - yes I would - but note I have a Windows laptop too - as it was a cheap option and all I wanted it for was to view my images when out on a shoot - If I wanted it for more than that I would have purchased a MacBook.

Hope that's of some use.

Thansk guys

tha'ts given me alot to think about - I think I'd have to purchase new PS and office as my current versions are...well lets just say I didn't have to pay for them. Looking on the Apple site I reckon my initital outlay would have to be aroun £1500 so I'd better start saving!

i wouldnt say speculation. goes without saying that as the number of mac users increase the people that write malware will start focusing more attention on them.

I would. Macs have been around for many years, what makes you think it is only another two years as to when this will happen... could be less, likely to be more.

well no. its all personal preference on the way the OS feels at the end of the day as thats the only difference between Windows and OSX. but i will respond to any incorrect facts on either side..

I agree with you Neil, it is all personal preference, but the OP asked for advice and it is not this that is the only difference between Windows and OSx, that's where you're possibly mistaken. You may have experience in both systems I have no idea, but I do... a lot and there's a significant difference in all manner of things... OS reliability, and prevalence of virus's for example, but that isn't what the thread is for. Having said that, I still love my Dell. :)

I also agree Neil that you should respond to incorrect facts from either side, your tone seems to suggest I was telling you not to do this, but... you haven't responded to any incorrect facts in this thread, just made a comment about 'pet hates' and made a start at what could easily turn into yet another mac/PC flame war thread. If you don't like Macs then that's your prerogative, but please... don't make comments intent on flaming.

Quite right.

Fanboys > Door.

Whichever side you camp on.

Photoshop can be converted from PC to Mac relativly easily. However Adobe will only update the current version. So if you have CS2 or CS3 ( I think these are the only versions that you can upgrade to CS4 from) you can get a Mac copy of CS4. All it costs is the upgrade cost. Did this earlier this year simple and easy.

You need to contact the UK customer service operation by email. They will need Proof of Purchase, and a signed letter of destruction ( you confirm the original PC disks have been destroyed) Give them your credit card no and a afew days latter a new Mac version of Photoshop turns up..

Microsoft Office for Mac is around £75.00 for home use. I would also second Open Office as a good option. Also Mac do iWork which has some nice graphical features cost between £55-£65 dependant form whence it came. Apple store as usual most expensive!!

I would. Macs have been around for many years, what makes you think it is only another two years as to when this will happen... could be less, likely to be more.

I agree with you Neil, it is all personal preference, but the OP asked for advice and it is not this that is the only difference between Windows and OSx, that's where you're possibly mistaken. You may have experience in both systems I have no idea, but I do... a lot and there's a significant difference in all manner of things... OS reliability, and prevalence of virus's for example, but that isn't what the thread is for. Having said that, I still love my Dell. :)

I also agree Neil that you should respond to incorrect facts from either side, your tone seems to suggest I was telling you not to do this, but... you haven't responded to any incorrect facts in this thread, just made a comment about 'pet hates' and made a start at what could easily turn into yet another mac/PC flame war thread. If you don't like Macs then that's your prerogative, but please... don't make comments intent on flaming.

sorry if you took my tone that way. wasnt intended.

i use/support windows and osx for a large-ish clothing retailer who designs their own products. granted i prefer windows from a support point of view (vista64 at the moment) but i understand people have different tastes and want the feel of their OS to be how they want it.

regarding AV, it might be 2 years it might be 5 but it will happen sooner or later. thats my opinion as more and more people jump ship over to Mac.

regarding stability, im the only vista user in the company and its rock solid stable. for the most part so are the windows xp and OSX boxes but both platforms have similar reliability stats from a support point of view.

like i say its a personal thing, go out try OSX in an apple store or whatever and if you like it then great go for it.. make your mind up for yourself dont get sucked into the fanboy hype (on either side) :D

Okies.... That's more like it... :) thanks for the clarification.

my HTPC is near silent.. £20 passive heatsink, 2x £7 low rpm 12cm fans. win.

:D
Well done (y) - may I ask what processor are you using the passive heatsink with? My last PC's processor ran that hot I could leave the central heating off and needed a massive, fast and noisy fan to keep it from spontaneously combusting - :D. Perhaps things have moved on a lot since then.

My last PC's processor ran that hot I could leave the central heating off and needed a massive, fast and noisy fan to keep it from spontaneously combusting

(y)

it'd be cheaper and easier to buy a decent antivirus like nod32 imho

keep your software and your workflows as they are, job done?

Well done (y) - may I ask what processor are you using the passive heatsink with? My last PC's processor ran that hot I could leave the central heating off and needed a massive, fast and noisy fan to keep it from spontaneously combusting - :D. Perhaps things have moved on a lot since then.

dual core E2200 with a sythe mini ninja heatsink, runs mid/high 60 degrees playing back blu-ray :)

When i first got a mac i went on forums asking the best software etc to get for it and the resounding answer was always you dont need it "they just work".

ARGH. get out.

lol thats my pet hate if you didnt know :p

if you had virus issues id change your AV program. give it a year or two and youll need AV for mac anyway.

(awaits flaming)

I used to hate that phrase too, and thought it was a cop out of an answer.
The first time somebody asked me if I like it, I said "it just works".
Infact I still hate that phrase, but it's here to stay :D

I feel Apple will work very hard to keep viruses at bay, they have laboured the virus point... A LOT.

You could always get a Mac do a slow transition to Mac software, i.e. buy parallels (which runs Windows on a mac). This way you could have the best of both worlds, use your existing software and also get used to the Mac operating system.

:D

Aside from the obvious issues of getting used to a different interface, I don't think you'd see any difference in the programs you've noted (PS, Word etc). They're just about identical. You will be trying to find the @ symbol for five minutes though :)

You obviously are willing to look into what Macs have to offer and that's good. I like macs because they've only ever been good to me*–*only had one fail in the 15 I've been exposed to them; that was a HD fail on an old Performa 6200. They were pooh! :)

Yes, they are pricey compared to consumer PCs from PC World, and yes, for the average user, the benefits aren't actually that obvious. But I think the architecture is brilliant and offers great performance, and the build quality is excellent. Worth every penny. If you do buy then haggle like hell to get iWork thrown in for free - the office program in it is very good, but you usually have to pay £60 for the lot. Mind you, MS office is £100+.

OSX is just bas vulnerable as Windows. Lack of viruses is not what converted me to Macs though. It's everything else. I use Windows all day every day at work but I can do everything faster on a Mac (I have 2 at home).

I got into a little arguement with a tutor at college about PC vs Mac recently. I was talking about how expensive the Mac Pro is (£2499 for just the desktop) and for that money I could easily buy a PC that spec wise is much better in every single way. His arguement ended in Pixar using those Mac Pros,' well, I very much doubt they use base spec systems.

In the industry of graphics design I am always told 'macs are industry standard' but then im also told 'pcs are industry standard,' to be honest I can use a mac as well as I can use a PC but at home I just prefer my PC,
I work faster and more efficiently on a PC as well. I owned a Macbook for a year and sold it because I didnt like working on a small screen, slower, inferior system. I regularly use an iMac at college which is fine, no issues and transfering my files between a PC and a Mac is problem free.

With design, and photography you shouldn't really have any problems with software, as far as i'm aware all the usual stuff is now multi platform.

If I were you, i'd buy a custom built system that is tailored to your requirements, you'll save money and in the long run your system can easily be upgraded should you need it.

I hate it when people talk about viruses' on PC's, if you take care of your system and install the right things then you won't have any problem.

The argument of which is the best machine is now so old that noah probably had the same argument with his wife as the animals boarded the ark!

Both have advantages and disadvantages. I have been using a macbook now for about 2 years and really do find it more enjoyable to use... but I have no intentions of getting rid of my XP desktop even though the mac gets more use!
Macs do feel like a more complete package than current windows though so you wouldnt regret it!

If you just want a computer to use everyday and you dont enjoy upgrading, tinkering with specs then go with the mac. If you enjoy the whole upgrade thing windows is the only way!

The programs are pretty much the same as windows, so you wont really find yourself lost (apart from the close, minimize and maximize on the left!).
If you do go mac I wouldnt personally bother with MS office though, its been nothing but trouble for me!

Linky for why mac is better but also a few flaws of the mac!
http://apcmag.com/15_reasons_macs_are_still_better_than_windows.htm

As your not upgrading just yet, I have been having a play on windows 7 and it is rather good! Windows isnt totally dead yet! ;)

If your still having virus problems,
superantispyware and spyware search and destroy might help you out!

Andy

On balance, though, Macs just let you get stuff done, whereas Windows computers constantly find ways of annoying you.

Rubbish. The only thing that ever pops up for me is Windows Update, you'll only get lots of crap pop up if you install lots of trials, 'random' applications etc. and if I remember correctly, Apples updating system does that too.

That guy doesn't really spend much time on 'why not to buy a mac' compared to the amount one can read on why you should buy a mac.. Almost every review is just going to be completely biast.

A person's ability to adapt is going to factor into this sort of thing. I use both systems and for me, overall Macs are better but Macs are not perfect. Here are my two pet hates:

1. Why can't I resize a window from any corner?
2. Why can't I select some text in a document and print just the selected text?

Both annoy the hell out of me.

Windows 7 is going to improve things. Launching a program from the start menu and then having it appear on the task bar in a position that Windows chooses is a rubbish way of doing things. Windows 7 lets you do things the Mac way of launching from the Dock and indicating a running app using the same dock and letting you position the app where you want, which is much better.

I find the design of Apple hardware (design, not necessarily quality) to be better than most if not all PC makers but there is a premium to pay for sure.

Mac's are all well and good while they are working, untill 1 thing goes wrong, then your looking at major money, also people slate normal laptops running windows as no good, but thats because most people spend little over 500 to 600 on a windows laptop, but there willing to spend a grand buying a top spec mac - also connecting to any normal network not specificly put in place for Mac's you will find it is hit an miss if it works, network printers not visable, network drives not visable, sometimes cannot connect to the DC.

Lovely piece of kit, dont get me wrong, and well worth the money, talks a while to get used to, mainly the 1 button mouse, but first thing that you will probably find annoying is hot corners,

i personaly find windows is the best bet, run it on my desktops, and run external drives for saftey of data, for the extreamly paronoid - (well me lol - ive been planning to get one for a while) a network store, im wantin the netgear sc101, just because it auto backs up onto 2 harddrives,

i do like ubuntu linux ***, its growing on me, run that at work, and on my laptop, quick and easy, and can be stripped of the unused stuff very simply

In the industry of graphics design I am always told 'macs are industry standard'

yes and no. i think some of the software was probably industry standard once upon a time? for example our designers all use illustrator, now you tell me they couldnt use a windows copy on a good spec PC and get the same result. course not. if i went up there and did a blind test (hide the tower and OS) i bet none of them would notice. in fact it would probably be better because the integration with the rest of the network and apps would be better. no remote desktop sessions for some windows apps for example.

trouble is, if you go to college/uni and take a design course what do they teach you on.. macs. i think at the end of the day its what theyve been taught in so its a comfort factor? i wouldnt like it if i was given a mac and told i need to system admin on it.. hehe

also connecting to any normal network not specificly put in place for Mac's you will find it is hit an miss if it works, network printers not visable, network drives not visable, sometimes cannot connect to the DC.
Never experienced that. My Macbook can discover and connect to all the computers in our company network faster than my Vista box in fact. Much faster. Also we have a mixed Windows and Mac network at home and everything works fine.

Back