Mac or windows

if we agree that i'm not calling you a liar then yes we are in agreement

You can run Mac OS10 on a Windows based PC

i think you mean on PC Hardware, not a windows based pc.

If its windows based then your OS is windows.

Commonly Called the Hackintosh, because the Mac OS X has to be hacked ( illegally ) to allow it to install on non apple hardware.

The things that have put me off buying a mac are

Can you add extra ram as your needs progress

Can you replace a faulty DVD Drive with ease

Do Apple have the same you own it but we tell you what you can put on it policy like they do with the iPhone.

You can buy extra RAM, aslong as you have a spare slot of course. I would recommend maxing the RAM from the beginning though. To upgrade from 2GB to 4GB is only an extra £100?

Don't know, havnt had to yet. I had extended cover so they'll swap it in the mac store for me, for free. Its not as convenient but its never happened yet.

So far I can install whatever the hell I like, as long as its for OSX. The mac is alot more flexible now.

Faster, cheaper,

Cheaper, yes, but faster? No. Maybe the same if your fortunate :D

less restrictive hardware to upgrade,

True it's much easier to install certain upgrades but not a guaranteed advantage when thought about carefully:
When upgrading hardware on a windows machine you have a very short period of time to catch the most suitable kind of upgrade for your system. Brands/manufacturers are ten to the dozen, they all release new parts/devices faster than you need to upgrade, technology progresses at such an aggressive pace these days, rendering previous models obsolete very quickly.

Also brands don't manufacture parts that have been designed to work with every other brand on the market. There are configurations that may not be compatible regardless of what your system requirements are.

The chances of the new hardware working as it should and maintaining reliability and performance is a little on the unbalanced side for me and from my experiences with three windows based systems, a fair chunk of wasted cash and even more wasted time, I respect the benefits of having the parts/devices made to a certain spec.

more availability in software.

Do you mean games or programs? In terms of photography related software, they're all the same.

All in all, far nicer.

Nicer? :|

Macs are "cute" but ultimately not as good.

:LOL:

well

i`ll soon find out , got a mac book pro on it`s way in the morning

cheers for all the advice

Rog (y)

Neither. Its all down to the screen and software. Photoshop and Lightroom are available for both Mac & PC and work pretty much identically.
QUOTE]
This is pretty acurate! but my take on Mac's & PCs is this - In my opinion:

MAC:

The Good: Operating system is intuative and looks superb. They run very well and don't suffer nearly as much from viruses like PC's (Hardly at all!!). They were mostly used for design but are now very capable computers for most jobs. The iMac has the best screen of any computer i have ever seen and would be perfect for image processing. They are very well built and look uber cool. There may not be as much software for Macs but what there is works very well. Most of the time anything you do on a Mac will just work without having to set it up. Most people who own Mac's love them with a passion! Support and help is very good. Build quality is second to none!

The Bad: They are expensive. If you have a screen, keyboard and mouse you could go for a Mac Mini which would be cheaper but you would get a very nice iMac for £1000. They start at £790. If you are used to a Windows machine they can be tricky to learn. If you buy an iMac and it goes wrong you have to take the whole thin in for repair. Once you are hooked then you will buy anything thats made by Apple!!:LOL: Macs are not easily upgradable in terms of hardware.

Windows:

The Good: You can get any type of PC your heart desires and spend as much or as little as you want. Any problem with anything is easy to get help on as there are millions of people out there who have had the same issues as you. Software is plentyful for any job. Support for hardware is good and Windows XP is very stable and has very good support regarding drivers for things like Printers etc. Nearly everyone has a PC (89% of the market).

The Bad: Geeze, i can't be bothered to write it all out! Saying that my windows PC has given me trouble free computing for 10 months and it is just starting to get annoying with regular software failures. Also I think the public get mighty ripped off regarding the cost of software. I hate to think how much Microsoft is worth! Another thing that seems to be creeping in is Microsoft have been cought looking to see whats on your PC to see if you have dodgy software installed which is wrong.

I'm changing from PC to Mac this week. I may not get on with the Mac in which case i'll have to go back to Windows but i'm going to give the Mac a fair go. For what you want to do both will do the job.

Back