Mac or windows

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
ok

i can do photography ! ....... but computers do my head in .. hence why Alyson does most of the edit`s ...

so which is best for photography ............ Mac or windows ...

and which model

between £700 / £1000

cheers guys

(y)

Either. Things like photoshop will run on either so down to personal preference.

Personally id rather gouge my own eyeballs out with a rusty spoon than be forced to use the over priced, under-performing,hardware and architecture restricted pile of crap that is a mac but other people seem to like them.

For that budget you can get near top of the range- way overkill for photography.

Having both Mac and Widows machines either will do you fine for you. Have a look at what's available and make your own mind up.

You can get up close and really personal with Mac's at any Apple shop. They don't bother you and usually have a number of apps loaded such as Photoshop.

Unfortunately you are not going to get that sort of experience with many PC's though.

If you like the look of the iMac, be aware there are rumours that improved versions may be available in the "spring" ( that could take you to to June) and they may not appear.

It's up to you to decide what system is best for you. Don't rush, take your time.

Cheers

That has really helped :bang: :LOL:

i have heard Mac`s are not as prone to virus problems as windows .

is this right guys

Rog (y)

If money is not an issue, and you do not want bogged down with tasks which are not in anyway designed to be enjoyable, then I would say mac. This come from 7 or 8 years of PC usage, working in an IT support shop, and fixing countless PC's for friends and families.

PC's come bundled with hassle, and require a lot of tinkering to kep them running at top speed.

Mac's as far as I can tell, require turning on, and enjoying.

I am sounding like a fanboy, but I promise I am not. Real experience, real opinions. Nothing else.

I remember only 4 months ago thinking, Meh....no way I would enjoy a Mac more than my PC. I was very, VERY wrong.

I have no anti virus software on my mac. I am led to believe I do not need to worry about it.

Gary.

I remember only 4 months ago thinking, Meh....no way I would enjoy a Mac more than my PC. I was very, VERY wrong.

I have no anti virus software on my mac. I am led to believe I do not need to worry about it.

Gary.

Cheers m8

the virus issue is the one thing pushing me to-wards a mac .
+ i would like to try different software ..

which do you recommend m8 .. around £1000

cheers

Rog (y)

Either. Things like photoshop will run on either so down to personal preference.

Personally id rather gouge my own eyeballs out with a rusty spoon than be forced to use the over priced, under-performing,hardware and architecture restricted pile of crap that is a mac but other people seem to like them.

For that budget you can get near top of the range- way overkill for photography.

you get what you pay for mate !!!

Well thats one good thing about the mac, no viruses at all , i dont get pop ups very often either and i must admit i dont think i would use my pc now, only for gaming as the mac is abit poor in that department. They are super machines and worth every penny! Plus no annoying leads every where

Well thats one good thing about the mac, no viruses at all , i dont get pop ups very often either and i must admit i dont think i would use my pc now, only for gaming as the mac is abit poor in that department. They are super machines and worth every penny! Plus no annoying leads every where

Well, there is 1 lead ;)

Just out of interest re viruses http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/02/apple_mac_av_advice/
I'm not knocking Macs, if I could afford one at the required spec I would go down that route. Just wanted to say be careful. :)

Cheers m8

i think it always wise to have some kind of virus protection .. but i have been told Virus hits are few on Mac`s.. i have a laptop and 3 p.c`s here all have been hit bar one

strange thing though the one that hasn`t been hit has no anti virus on it ..
well it did , then i put windows back on and never got round to puttin avg back on it .

Hmm Bill gates with a room full of people writing a virus and a room full making a cure and charging $$$$$$$$$$$ to get rid of it .. ok i know conspiracy theory :shrug:

Rog (y)

From many past experiences, stresses and wasted money, I wouldn't spend another second of my life trying to persuade or coax a window's based machine to perform a task that it should perform as standard.

Apple gear is more expensive and there are not free from issues or bugs but the hardware is far more reliable, the OS is safer and in three years of owning one of the first Intel Imac's, I only experienced one big wobbler of a systems crash, no data was lost in the event but a hard reset was needed to sort it out.

As for software, I can recommend Lightroom to get you started, Aperture is pretty much the same and choosing between the two is pretty much up to personal preference. Maybe download a few trials and see which suits you best.

Good luck with the adventure!

T.

Mac good decision, i was a pC for 10 years and I just got a Mac last november , best decision ever... so far very good not problems , no viruses.. lightroom is faster on my mac , in general is faster and better ...

If you want a life of computing hell, by all means get a PC that runs Windows. I would personally rather entirely do without than burden myself with Windows. Macs are without doubt the most versatile range of computers out there. They run EVERYTHING. Literally. OS X, Windows (gag!), Linux and countless other unix variants, should you care to get into that. The hardware is solid, they're reliable machines, you don't need to worry about viruses, the operating system is fantastic. I can't recommend it enough. I moved over to Mac around 4 years ago and I wouldn't ever go back to Windows. Like I say, I'd rather do without.

As for software, I can recommend Lightroom to get you started, Aperture is pretty much the same and choosing between the two is pretty much up to personal preference. Maybe download a few trials and see which suits you best.

Good luck with the adventure!

T.

Cheers

M8

already started downloading a few bits and bobs :cautious: if you know what i mean

Rog (y)

The 2 above comments say it all - They moved to mac and didnt regret it.

Try and find someone who has moved from a Mac to PC, no one is that silly, lol

The 2 above comments say it all - They moved to mac and didnt regret it.

Try and find someone who has moved from a Mac to PC, no one is that silly, lol

i used one once when my wife was away on business .. the hotel in Birmingham had them in each room ..

i have to say i did like it ..

so of to p.c world in the morning ... weather permitting .

unless anyone knows of somewhere with a good deal (y)

I'd go mac, as you can always install windows on it. I had a pc since 1995 and went over to mac in 2006 as my pc was on its last legs and i needed a laptop as i was off to China for an extended period.

Loved it once I got it, much easier to use and so much less hassle and fiddling. Its true that you can get better hardware for the same money with a PC, but unless you plan on playing the latest games it really makes little difference.

I would say though, talking about specs, if you can afford it get as much RAM in there as you can. When I got mine you couldn't get more than 2GB inside it, they now take 4GB. My girlfriend bought her iMac with the basic spec (512k) 3 years ago i think, and its really struggling now. If you want to save money don't bother upgrading the Hard Disk, as the chances are you'll fill it with millions of raw files anyway - I've got a big 1TB on my ethernet and keep most of my stuff backed up on there.

I'd recommend extended warranty aswell, more for peace of mind. They dont break often, but when they do it can be expensive, and if you're out of warranty a pain. Others may say not to bother though, personal preference i guess.

you generally wont find a deal on a Mac, if you want one you pay for it.

Personally though PC World are a set of dicks, get yourself to the apple store, or if thats too far, order online for free next day delivery.

Personally though PC World are a set of dicks, get yourself to the apple store, or if thats too far, order online for free next day delivery.

I got mine from PC world. It is a mac rep that sells you the machine, at mac prices, with mac support and aftercare. PC world provide the roof and a till :)

Gary.

Just wanted to say that the biggest problem with PCs is not the hardware, you can get decent hardware no problem. The usual OS is the problem. A PC with a unix variant on can be a very slick system. The problem is that none of the big Software houses make photographic software for Unix so you're stuck with free stuff. This is obviously terrible and awesome at the same time. Loads of choice but you'll be using software that no one (hardly anyone?) here is using. Here's my preferred order of choice:

1. A real mac
2. PC hardware running OSX (let's ignore the legalities for a moment)
3. PC hardware running Linux
4. PC hardware running any operating system other than Windows
5. An abacus

;-)

i hate p.c world . but it`s the only place close to us .. apart from curry`s if they have what i`m after and they are just as bad :bang:

(y)

Hi,

I thought I would chime in being as this appears to be a regular thread that shows up almost daily on these forums. I myself changed over to using a Mac 3 years ago after getting bored and fed up with using what was then Windows XP.....Luckily I never endured the whole saga of Vista as I never upgraded to it nor was I intending to either after reading and seeing various issues brought up on the internet and seeing in person for myself a rushed operating system with endless updates and whatnot needing to be performed on a regular basis.

I was in the quandry of having an old PC that needed upgrading badly and my choices were at the time get another PC base unit and leave it at that, or look elsewhere for choices. I initially didn't look at the Mac as I had no experiance of using one, and I was also dubiuos on the whole workings of the Mac including the choice available(and this was coming from using a PC in where I could have whatever hardware component I liked in my system) So I spent a good few weeks toying with the idea on looking at a Mac whilst contemplating buying another PC unit to satisfy my needs when I took a trip upto my local Apple store in Kent and had a go of one. At first I didn't know quite what to make of it all....strange layout, weird interface, odd mouse, etc etc but over a few minutes I began to quickly pickup the working of the Mac OS(which was Tiger at the time) and I spent a lot longer that what I would usually do on trying out a computer and I got talking to a Apple sales person who showed me some of the other workings/features of the Mac and I was hooked on the spot!!

Price is always something that people often bang on about when talking about Mac's, yes they are dearer than their PC counterparts, however resale value and build quality are way above par of any PC that I've seen in the last 18 months or so up for sale...the tight intergration between hardware and software is what makes it work they way it does and like other's have said you can always run Windows(you probably won't after a while) on the Mac should there be a need to- I haven't at all in nearly 3 years of owning my first Mac!! A lot of the new hardware that comes out now is near enough all compatible with the Mac unlike years ago in where Mac's had there own proprierty connectors that would only work with them- Scanners,printers etcwhich would be an expensive option even by today's standards. If you lived closer to me, I'd say pop round and try mine out and see what you think...I'm sure there must be someone on here that's local to you with a Mac that they can shows you the workings of.

Don't dither about it, just go and try one out-that's the very least you can do ;-)

Michael.

For myself I prefer a PC, I own three PC's and two Macs(G5 and a G4).
I have found that doing batch work using Photoshop a PC wins hands down on memory management.

i hate p.c world . but it`s the only place close to us .. apart from curry`s if they have what i`m after and they are just as bad :bang:

(y)

Just as bad because they are the same company ;)

If you have a John Lewis close by they offer 2 year warranty as standard, but as mentioned before Apple shop is the way forward either a real shop if you want to have a play first (top tip - book a personal shopper) or online (look at the refurbished store too if you are after a bargain).

i have heard Mac`s are not as prone to virus problems as windows .

is this right guys

No it isnt. If the user displays an atom of common sense keeping his computer up to date (something you need to do on all operating systems) and doesn't run completely random unexpected files there is no problem at all on either platform.

Me for one. And several others. Faster, cheaper, less restrictive hardware to upgrade, more availability in software. All in all, far nicer.

Macs are "cute" but ultimately not as good.

Can I keep scores? :D

PC 1:
MAC: Back shortly....counting.
:popcorn:

The things that have put me off buying a mac are

Can you add extra ram as your needs progress

Can you replace a faulty DVD Drive with ease

Do Apple have the same you own it but we tell you what you can put on it policy like they do with the iPhone.

I have used both but always find Windows easier to use, mind you been a PC man since 1985ish and have grown up with all versions of DOS & Windows.

Do like the look of Macs and OS10 though.

Any other reasons they only have about 3% of the PC market. Apart from they don't want you as a customer.

tbh there is a considerable amount of tosh being spouted here

they're both pretty much exactly the same, it's whichever operating system you prefer using.

for me as i've said before mac gets in the way of me doing stuff whereas a windows machine doesn't (mind you vista is turd)

oh and as for mac moving to pc i'd be one of those but that was years and years and years ago

The things that have put me off buying a mac are

Can you add extra ram as your needs progress

Can you replace a faulty DVD Drive with ease

Do Apple have the same you own it but we tell you what you can put on it policy like they do with the iPhone.

I have used both but always find Windows easier to use, mind you been a PC man since 1985ish and have grown up with all versions of DOS & Windows.

Do like the look of Macs and OS10 though.

Any other reasons they only have about 3% of the PC market. Apart from they don't want you as a customer.

Price. Has to be down to price. You can have a decent spec PC for £400. A decent spec mac, most people think costs £1K+

I have no idea, why after using my iMac for over a month, why anyone would prefer Windows. And I LOVE Windows. Mac OSX just bloody works, I do not need to tinker, it does not crash, all my apps are faster here than on my 64bit 4GB dell. This is just a breeze to use, compared to Windows which after 6 months, has always been bloated and at bursting point.

Gary.

tbh there is a considerable amount of tosh being spouted here

Well you can call me a liar, but I can say with certainty and hand on heart, I have NEVER had a PC not require reformatting / major maintenance after a good few months use. The more it gets used, the slower it seems to become, until it gets to the stage that I can no longer use it without feeling frustrated. I own 4 pc's at home (none of them currently being used), and another 4 in my office. Each of them gives me a headache of some kind or another.

The iMac? Switch on, and enjoy it. Just works.

These are facts.

Gary.

Any other reasons they only have about 3% of the PC market.

Thats about the same percentage the likes of ferarri have in the car market.(y)

I was an avid PC user for 15 years, then 6 months ago i bought a Mac... I would never buy a PC again.

Yes Mac's are not exactly cheap, but thats probably why they are so good.

Back