Mac Pro upgrade advice

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi to all before I go ahead and have this done to my Mac book pro 2008 here is the message the computer guy sent me does everything look ok thanks for reading

Hi Barbara
Well I looked into the parts and only issue here is that there is not many DDR2 Ram modules available(it’s very expensive and if you compare the age and second hand market price of your machine), the max possible Ram would be 6Gb (4Gb stick + 2Gb), easiest way is to get 2 x 2Gb and run on 4Gb in total, unless you’re willing to spend on low old memory around 50 - 80€ on it’s own, SSD isn’t too bad as most of them available on the market will do your machine as well,
I can do SSD upgrade with new Os installation for 165€ or a whole lot for around 260€
Thank you

Deleted my reply as I thought you had an iMac.

Is 4GB total going to be enough to run modern programs?

Not sure it's worth it.

Is that definitely a Mac Pro, not MacBook Pro? Really not sure it's worth it for a device that old.

Personally, I would not spend on upgrading it, it is an old machine and will be limited to older operating system, older software and parts may start wearing out.

The very lowest spec mac laptop will be loads faster, I would save up and buy a new one. The 260 goes a long way towards a new one!

yes as above, its just not worth that upgrade, I'm not 100% sure but I think it's restricted to the old OS as well, which means, most browsers/programs/apps won't like it and such.

You can pick up 2012 MacBook pro with i5 processor and 16g ram for around £250/£300 (used) which although won't be lightning-fast will make yours look silly.
(the 2012 is the last self upgradable MacBook, so you could add SSD and such in the future if you so wanted)
and i expect you could sell yours for a little to help.

If you are considering a new machine a desktop may be an even better idea if its mainly for photography.

Im sure I have some Mac mini DDR2 (same as laptop afaik) laying around somewhere. You can have it if I do, install is very easy. The labour charge is for the SSD install in this case.

Last edited:
Fantastic advice people just as well I asked ,so a new MAC is what I’m going for or iMac second hand mine is a Mac book pro,as for the Mac mini ddr if it will make this one a tad faster I’ll have them please ,and Thankyou kindly to all for your time.

Yeah, I replaced my elderly MBP with a second hand Air for £300. It's *much* quicker and for what I need far better. I'd agree with people here that a second hand replacement is going to get you more for your money than a €260 memory/disk upgrade.

Back