Mac Recommendation

I run a 5 year old Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM and just 512GB of hard drive. I do however ave 2 x 4TB drives connected, along with 22" & 27" monitors. I have no problems at all and when I upgrade, it will be to another similar system.

Apple's response has mainly been to ignore those issues until either it's too public to ignore or they lose a class action lawsuit

After I bought my Macbook it developed a flicker when feeding an external monitor that rapidly got worse. A quick search of the Apple forums showed there were probably hundreds of other people all experiencing exactly the same issue. When I took it to the Apple store in Milton Keynes (no on-site warranty for Apple) to speak to a genius there was considerable reluctance, along with warnings of how much they would charge if the fault wasn't real (after connecting an external monitor and the fault displaying in the store). It came back 1 week later with a new motherboard - and this was a business machine, so I spent a week without my business computer.

Sometimes they can be really good from things others have reported, but apart from when they actually made the sale, my experience has not been particularly positive.

Sometimes they can be really good from things others have reported, but apart from when they actually made the sale, my experience has not been particularly positive.

I dislike the Apple store experience, having to book in for an appointment to buy something or get something repaired is tedious and pointless when they aren't running out of supply and/or facing huge queues in a normal retail environment but I will say this, when my iPhone 4 was killed by the first software update they replaced it immediately with a new unit which is all I could ask for and the total opposite of the nonsense I had to go through with a Samsung Note 2 (Samsung managed to break the phone then refused to fix it, I was only saved thanks to Amazon's excellent return cover).

So while you're under warranty it's all good but given the current Macbook designs it really feels more like gambling once you're out of the warranty (especially concerning for places with only a year warranty).

I have two relatively local Apple Stores, and whenever I visit them (usually at the weekend) they are rammed. My lad worked in the Bristol store for a while, he said that 90% of the faults that people report are "user error", but he also said they hated an IOS update, as that always generated more enquiries/complaints.

I have two relatively local Apple Stores, and whenever I visit them (usually at the weekend) they are rammed. My lad worked in the Bristol store for a while, he said that 90% of the faults that people report are "user error", but he also said they hated an IOS update, as that always generated more enquiries/complaints.

It's slightly self-fufilling. Many (not all by any means) who choose a Mac do so because it 'just works' and they have minimal understanding of computer systems. Change how something works (and some apple changes have been every bit as obtuse as if the originated in Redmond) and they're lost because things don't work as they did before. Just like I noted in the Toxic forum thread, the democratisation of computers and the internet means that everyone now expects to be able to use them, and a bit of operator failure goes with the territory.

It's slightly self-fufilling. Many (not all by any means) who choose a Mac do so because it 'just works' and they have minimal understanding of computer systems. Change how something works (and some apple changes have been every bit as obtuse as if the originated in Redmond) and they're lost because things don't work as they did before. Just like I noted in the Toxic forum thread, the democratisation of computers and the internet means that everyone now expects to be able to use them, and a bit of operator failure goes with the territory.

Most people that I know who use a Mac do so because, after 5 years and a number of OS upgrades, it still works perfectly, unlike all of my Windows based machines that, after about 3 years, almost grind to a haunt. I will admit that my first generation iPad mini is pretty useless now though, most of the apps are too big, but it’s still good for email and browsing.

Most people that I know who use a Mac do so because, after 5 years and a number of OS upgrades, it still works perfectly, unlike all of my Windows based machines that, after about 3 years, almost grind to a haunt. I will admit that my first generation iPad mini is pretty useless now though, most of the apps are too big, but it’s still good for email and browsing.

Windows computers used to require OS reinstallation about every 2-3 years because of cruft from updates and installed software (so did Macs, speaking from experience) but that hasn't been true for a long time. Anything that came with W7 should still be quite usable with software of a comparable age - likewise my Unibody Macbook is fine with productivity applications from the same era but runs like a dog with current Firefox.

I think it’s the usual crap about looking good in Starbucks that gets on people’s nerves. Not from you I might add.

.... Looking good in Starbucks? This doesn't get on my nerves :D :

ChicGeekEssence.jpg

Coming from a creative industry (I retired early 20 years ago) I have always used Macs. I have had my 2011 iMac 27" with SSD and 24GB Memory for 8 years now and I also have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" but intentionally run them totally independently.

I am currently considering selling my iMac and buying the new Mac-mini and an EIZO 27" monitor. Such a combo should last me another 8+ years and be better value than a new iMac. I don't do video or play games and so the Mac-mini will suffice and it has a wide range of spec options from Apple. Apple are rumoured to be bringing out a stand alone monitor like they used to but I doubt it will be as good as an EIZO.

Anything that came with W7 should still be quite usable with software of a comparable age.

But that's my point, a 5 year old Windows machine with an up to date version of office runs like an old dog. How come virtually all my old Windows machines ended up with either HDD or PSU failures, when I've never had anything like that on my Macs? In fact, my son still uses my old iMac (about 10 years old) for his music production.

But that's my point, a 5 year old Windows machine with an up to date version of office runs like an old dog. How come virtually all my old Windows machines ended up with either HDD or PSU failures, when I've never had anything like that on my Macs? In fact, my son still uses my old iMac (about 10 years old) for his music production.
You may find that your anecdotes aren’t as good as others’. ;)

But that's my point, a 5 year old Windows machine with an up to date version of office runs like an old dog.

Anything that came with W7 should still be quite usable with software of a comparable age

I have Lightroom 5 on the Macbook, which was a 4 year old computer at the time of installation, but it's barely useable for anything beyond the most minimal adjustments. Want to use the brush - move the mouse to where you think you want the brush stroke to go and after a couple of senconds the screen will catch up. And the Mac runs like a dog with any modern browser.

I've no idea why you've experienced such failures? Did you buy bargain-basement machines or spend a similar amount to your Macs? This XPS is almost 5 years old now, was spec'd well to begin with and is still very very usable, but I spent £1000 on it new/Dell refurb when a similar spec Macbook at full price was about £1750 from memory. The last OS install was about 3 years ago, when I upgraded the system drive from HDD + cache to mSATA SSD, and I installed the original windows 8 + Dell drivers before allowing it to update to windows 10, and it's been fine ever since.

Historically speaking, a good friend and I were made redundant at the same time at the end of 2008 and both set up our own businesses. I bought my Macbook, he bought a Dell XPS when they were lightweight and a bit flexy, designed for road warriors more than to look shiney. We again worked together in 2018. My Macbook had required the motherboard replacing, hard drive failed (relaced with SSD) the USB ports were unreliable and I'd had to reinstall the OS a couple of times to 'refresh' the system because it would slow down over time. His Dell was slow and creaking, because it had never been refreshed let alone given an SSD and was running in the original install, but was still fully functional and no bits had dropped off. I wiped & reinstalled for him and it was fine running the then current version of quickbooks and data analysis software we needed in the lab at the time.

Certainly there have been plenty of horrible windows machines, and Apple's approach to price and specs means you'll never have to deal with the equivalent of a £250 Toshiba pile of garbage that was never fit for purpose. But at the same time a similarly decent spec machine will remain good, regardless of whether it carries the apple logo or Lenovo's.

You may find that your anecdotes aren’t as good as others’. ;)

Or, just as with our preferred politics we'll happily demonise the other side.

I'd prefer to find out WHY Steve has had these failures, because there's nothing special about what Apple puts in their pakaging compared with the other similar spec'd kit sold for PC use.

Last edited:

HDD and PSU failures have absolutely nothing to do with your OS.

In this regard there's no difference between a PC or a Mac as those components are all made by third parties (well not entirely accurate, it's pretty straightforward to spec whatever type of PSU you want for a PC).

Last edited:
Sometimes the subject of a topic and the very first sentence can be a good clue as to the sort of info the OP is after!

Sometimes the subject of a topic and the very first sentence can be a good clue as to the sort of info the OP is after!
Unfortunately, if you build a Mac thread, they will come.

Can happen with PC threads too, but not as much.

And as with all good conversations the content drifts to other things, or of course we could have a forum of answers consisting of yes, no and one comment answers.

I am currently considering selling my iMac and buying the new Mac-mini and an EIZO 27" monitor. Such a combo should last me another 8+ years and be better value than a new iMac. I don't do video or play games and so the Mac-mini will suffice and it has a wide range of spec options from Apple. Apple are rumoured to be bringing out a stand alone monitor like they used to but I doubt it will be as good as an EIZO.

So am I. fully spec'd the Mac Mini and it came in at £2600 with all the extra RAM and 6 core etc. It's either that or an all singing all dancing dell in a larger more traditional case which aids cooling (plus for the same money a dual processer). My worry with the Mac Mini is cooling, or the lack of it and thus its longevity. Some more computery sorts on here might be able to address that point more factually than I can.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, if you build a Mac thread, they will come.

Can happen with PC threads too, but not as much.
“They” assuming you mean people who use a PC? The debate regarding pc vs Mac pretty much always revolves around on thing and that is which is best, well in terms of looks it’s Mac, in terms of performance per pound spent it’s PC, in terms of upgrade ability it’s PC, in terms of OS, both have issues, if your using a mixed networked environment then windows wins, hardware failure they are both the same, but try installing a HDD in an iMac, or a screen fail on an iMac and it’s goodbye entire machine.

We use both commercially and as a business we have seen both sides of the argument, the iMacs have sort of stood the the test of time, the oldest being about 7 years old, but only because we have moved them from their post production roles to say being just a tethered computer, But then again we have a 5 year old XP’s that’s still used in post production. I use iPads and iPhone, so have nothing against apples product, I just feel after using both commercially PC’s are a better option for us.

So am I. fully spec'd the Mac Mini and it came in at £2600 with all the extra RAM and 6 core etc. It's either that or an all singing all dancing dell in a larger more traditional case which aids cooling (plus for the same money a dual processer). My worry with the Mac Mini is cooling, or the lack of it and thus its longevity. Some more computery sorts on here might be able to address that point more factually than I can.
A fully spec’d mini comes in at £3800 plus a monitor which for a machine with a integrated graphics card is simply bonkers.

A fully spec’d mini comes in at £3800 plus a monitor which for a machine with a integrated graphics card is simply bonkers.

That's more than I paid for my Pro Tower in 2012. I bauwked at that price and it's even more now - the tower came in with the extra RAM etc at over £5000. I cannot justify that for editing RAW files in C1 etc even if I move up to medium format digital.

And as with all good conversations the content drifts to other things, or of course we could have a forum of answers consisting of yes, no and one comment answers.

“They” assuming you mean people who use a PC? The debate regarding pc vs Mac pretty much always revolves around on thing and that is which is best, well in terms of looks it’s Mac, in terms of performance per pound spent it’s PC, in terms of upgrade ability it’s PC, in terms of OS, both have issues, if your using a mixed networked environment then windows wins, hardware failure they are both the same, but try installing a HDD in an iMac, or a screen fail on an iMac and it’s goodbye entire machine.

We use both commercially and as a business we have seen both sides of the argument, the iMacs have sort of stood the the test of time, the oldest being about 7 years old, but only because we have moved them from their post production roles to say being just a tethered computer, But then again we have a 5 year old XP’s that’s still used in post production. I use iPads and iPhone, so have nothing against apples product, I just feel after using both commercially PC’s are a better option for us.

And the earlier post that kicked it all off...
Your must be mad :) we will never go near a mac again :)

.... But you don't have to max out specs of the Mac-mini and you can easily run a third-party more powerful graphics card off it. It's simply a matter of choosing the spec options which suit what you do. Also, you can add your own Memory and also connect an external SSD drive or even a whole rack of them. You can run a rack of Mac-minis too - The whole system is very flexible. My ideal spec is an i7 adding up to £1,800 plus £940 for a 27-inch Eizo monitor.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying that a Windows machine can't do it 'better'. I was born in Macdom and I enjoy using them and have never got on with Windows - It's just me.

I shoot RAW, edit in CaptureOne and occasionally create slideshows in iMove with music soundtracks created in GarageBand. No video and no games.

Last edited:

Don't try to be balanced about this or actually root a reply in real-world use - it's not welcome. :p

Back