Mac "Verifying MS apps"

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Why do all my MS Office apps take ages to open because they are being "Verified".

It seems to happen every time I use them.

Yep, same here. Sometimes, when it's finished verifying, it still won't open.

Fortunately, the only one I tend to use is Excel and I just leave it open.

I think it's probably something to do with Current office apps pretty much patching themselves every time they run... I know we run 365 for work on WIN10 and pretty much every day get a message that we need to close and re-open office apps to install some patch or other, wouldn't think that mac versions would be much different.

Maybe this?:

Thanks, have updated the security settings, will reboot later and see if it solves the problem.

If all else fails, you could dump MS Office and change to LibreOffice.

I've been using LibreOffice on OS-X, Windows and Linux for several years and it just works. Even better: I haven't yet found a MS Office file that LibreOffice won't open.

The price is right too! :naughty:

I've been using LibreOffice on OS-X, Windows and Linux for several years and it just works. Even better: I haven't yet found a MS Office file that LibreOffice won't open.

Ditto ;)

I may well do that now I also have a Raspberry Pi in the house. Libre Office just works on that.

I use Open Office, but the principle's the same.

I think it's probably something to do with Current office apps pretty much patching themselves every time they run... I know we run 365 for work on WIN10 and pretty much every day get a message that we need to close and re-open office apps to install some patch or other, wouldn't think that mac versions would be much different.

Unless there is an emergency patch, which is very rare, Office for Mac apps get updated on a regular monthly schedule.

That should solve the problem on Catalina, though.

The issue is that MS Office apps require access to certain privileged directories (e.g. ~/Library) so they go through an extra layer of code-checking when you launch them under Catalina and later versions of macOS to make sure they are not doing anything nefarious, like a bouncer frisking you before you're allowed into a club.

Changing that setting to allow Full Disk Access whitelists the applications so they don't need verifying in future.

Last edited:
Can I ask a quick question to the LibreOffice users here - what do you use as an email client?

I'm looking for something to replace Outlook before I make the change to LO.

Who is your email provider? I haven't used anything other than webmail on a PC for a long time. Even at work, where I could use Outlook desktop, I just use Outlook Web.

Can I ask a quick question to the LibreOffice users here - what do you use as an email client?

I'm looking for something to replace Outlook before I make the change to LO.

Try Outlook

I also have been using it for many a year. I am a Linux man.

Remember Windows are for houses, Apple for eating, Linux for computers.

Remember Windows are for houses, Apple for eating, Linux for computers.
I never thought I'd be writing this but... properly set up by the hardware vendor, Windows 10 is rather good.

PLUS... you can drop into Linux with four keypresses and never have to see that DOS command line ever again! :naughty:

Who is your email provider? I haven't used anything other than webmail on a PC for a long time. Even at work, where I could use Outlook desktop, I just use Outlook Web.
Hmm, I haven't looked at Outlook on the web for a long time - I was less than impressed then so it will need to have improved to persuade me to go that way.

Only one way to find out I guess :)

Back