Mac versus PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely not, you wouldn't want me to be fair about it would you being a Mac user :LOL:

But I will say this, from sleep I am up and online and downloading emails in less than 30 seconds on my Mac and I have never had that on a PC, nor have I ever seen battery life of more than 2 and a half hours even on a brand new laptop ;)

I will concede *** that a PC does some things better than a Mac and vice versa :)

really ? i've never seen a Mac boot in 30 seconds from scratch :p also, i've not experienced any battery expansion on any PC - only ever on a Mac.

saying that, my Windows 7 machine boots faster than my MBP does, and outlasts its battery too.

edit: also, i've never ever experienced a PC that has "rebooted itself" due to updates unless specifically configured to do so on a GPO level. also, can all those people who are calling Windows an "inferior OS to OSX" explain their reasons ? also, waking from standby by moving a mouse has been around since (i think) Windows 95 days, and unless you specifically configure it to do so, you can drop yourself straight back to a desktop without user authentication. however, you can also specifically configure OSX to ask for a username/password when waking from sleep - does that make OSX as rubbish as any of the Windows operating systems ? would you prefer your laptop to get stolen when it's "asleep" in it's bag and then present the thief with your desktop, or would you rather make it more complicated for them to get your bank details ? OSX - making it easy to commit identify fraud out of the box :p

PC. Macs are completely over priced for the hardware they have.
For general use PCs are certainly the way forward.

I just don't understand what people see in Macs, I've spent plenty of time on both PC and Macs, and PC wins hands down in ALL aspects.

well i was pc for years built my own and had a few pre build systems. the amount of time ive had to format my system because of a virus or a windows blue screen of death.
I moved to mac a few years ago and at 1 point i had 10 gig left on the hard drive and id didnt even slow down once. A pc would have. i was a windows xp user so not tired vista or 7 so it might be different.

But at the end of the day people can say im a mac im a PC but its down to what YOU feel comfortable using and what feels good to you.
Its the same argument as the canon Nikon fight its what u feel comfortable using as you will spend a lot of money and u have to like using it...

I don't really care what you choose as it makes no difference to me but I thought Charlie Brooker's take on it was quite amusing.

It's a bit old but I think nothing has really changed.

really ? i've never seen a Mac boot in 30 seconds from scratch :p
Just tested it...my MBP is ready to go from a standing start in 27 seconds, woooohooooo gold star for me :D

From sleeping, the desktop almost appears as soon as the lid is fully open - two gold stars? lol

(I have a pc too btw, so used to running both systems - so not a huge fanboy)

As with many others here, move to Mac and 'unlearn' all of your PC knowledge to enjoy a logical way of computing, with very, very few 'crashes', almost unheard of viruses and something that won't be out of date in three weeks like most PCs. Macs are normally top of the range for at least six months :O)

Here's a few questions for the op.

Which car should I buy, Audi or BMW?

What shall I have for dinner, chicken or steak

which artist is better, Rembrandt or Dali?

Getting the point now? This is another of those questions that does nothing other than to fuel uneducated arguments from fanboys and trolls, the main reason bieng that the answer is purely subjective.

Try both systems for yourself and then choose one based on your requirements. Job done.

Here's a few questions for the op.

Which car should I buy, Audi or BMW?

What shall I have for dinner, chicken or steak

which artist is better, Rembrandt or Dali?

Getting the point now? This is another of those questions that does nothing other than to fuel uneducated arguments from fanboys and trolls, the main reason bieng that the answer is purely subjective.

Try both systems for yourself and then choose one based on your requirements. Job done.
Silly questions to use as an example!

Everyone knows Audi are more luxurious than BMW, steak is MUCH tastier than chicken and Dali would kick Rembrandts behind...:D ;)

Good advice though, try both and see what you prefer - much the same as anything in life!

For me it is a no brainer, get both. I have a PC and a Mac, some things are better on a pc some things better on the pc. Lets be honest, who would have though that Canon would bring out SRaw and that the Mac wouldn't be able to read it? Well it happened.

I use Faststone image viewer on the PC, it's really good and its free, but they don't do a Mac version. Which is better for viewing pictures? The Mac, Which is best for editing Video? The Mac. Which one would I happily rip the guts out of to improve? The PC. Which do I not need to rip the guts out of to improve? The Mac. Which do I prefer to work on? The Mac. Which do I prefer to play games on? The PC.

So there you go. No definitive answer but its horses for courses. I love them both and have no issues with either. As for those who like to flame the PC? Short-sighted I think. It certainly has its uses.

TBH imo some (not all) people dont need a Mac, dont need a PC either.

Just need to get a life :D

There are things in Photoshop that are not in Photoshop on a mac
Oh my PC wakes up and is getting mail in 2secs
Win7 here never had a virus
the best mac keep you dry when its raining

Photoshop is exactly the same on mac as PC
Waking up is not the same as booting up
Win 7 has only recently come out and, from what I've seen, is quite similar to OSX in a lot of ways

Oh, and you still haven't answered my question on your statement earlier in the thread about being restricted to one supplier

do love the aggressive defensive posture some windows users take up on these threads, then call the mac users fanboys. :LOL:

And no, that's not directed specifically at you neil_g. ;)

Us PC users actually have jobs, where as mac users just sit in coffee shops pretending to write books all day. ;)

That's cos us Mac boys have already made our money so we can do that kind of thing :p

Another latte over here please :LOL:

Oh man, havent the fanboys got bored of this thread yet?

I am off to another forum where we have intelligent and well formed discussions. Yeah thats right, I am off to IGN to start a thread called, which is best, XBOX or PS3 :D

morning fanboys :D

The PC Guys will be along in a while when their PC's have woken up :LOL:

Us PC users actually have jobs, where as mac users just sit in coffee shops pretending to write books all day. ;)

I love this kind of interaction. No facts, no reasoned argument, just good old fashioned animosity and predjudice :D :LOL: It's what makes this country great!

On a serious note to the OP, as stated earlier in the thread, try both and then buy the one that suits you best. Simple really but nowhere near as satisfying as calling Mac users "fanboys". :D:p;)

Oh man, havent the fanboys got bored of this thread yet?

Chill out dude, I think we've established what's good for the goose is good the gander, come and have a latte :)

it could be worse someone could ask a Canon v Nikon question :D

If one of these types of threads comes up again, here's the answer to all problems.

The best: Nikon, PC, Xbox360, Audi.

Thanks for clearing that up (y)

Hi All,

Like to get some opinions from the guys on here. I'm looking to upgrade my tired PC pretty soon, but I recently tried a friends iMac and quite liked it.

How do you guys rate the Ma versus the PC? Want to look at this on 2 levels...

1. Purely from a photo editing, storage etc point of view.

2. Everyday browsing, software, hardware point of view.

Cheers

Rob

Just thought I'd remind everyone of the original questions as a lot of you seem to have gone off on a tangent.

lets try and answer the questions, because I'm tempted to just close the thread and ask the OP to do a forum search instead.

fanboys4xc.jpg

do love the aggressive defensive posture some windows users take up on these threads, then call the mac users fanboys. :LOL:

nice response from a mod there... :cautious:

lol no worries, it does sound like im anti mac sometimes when im not. i use both platforms. i just like debugging stupid statements :LOL:

I made the switch from PC to Mac about six months ago and I found threads like this to be incredibly useful in making what was, for me, a very major decision. After I'd trawled through all the 'Oh God, not another Mac vs PC thread' type posts I actually found enough constructive comment to help me make the switch.

My last PC experience was a high spec Dell XPS which I bought just over a year ago. It was a nightmare. I stuck with it for six months and even considered redecorating the spare room for our IT support guy... he was here that much. So I read all the PC/Mac threads I could find and made the switch. I haven't seen the IT support guy since. The Mac runs as fast and sweet after six months as it did when I first turned it on... never had to clean a registry or defrag a hard drive or any stuff like that, which as a technophobe really does make life a lot easier.

Just one guys honest personal experience... I hate to sound like, or be labeled as a fanboy but it's hard not to love this thing.

Without wanting to sound rude, most people who have problems with PC's just dont know how to use, configure and maintain them properly.

I got so sick of the media bashing MS operating systems and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Everyone was bashing Vista saying how crap it was, really? I ran it on my gaming rig until I rebuilt for 7 recently... did I EVER have a problem with it? No, not once. In fact I never had problems with 95, 98, 2000 or XP either!

This is probably down to a number of facts....

1. I custom build all my PC's
2. I build the OS correctly
3. I have more MS qualifications than I can shake a stick at
4. I know how to use a computer properly

Because I know how PC's should be configured and maintained, I never have problems with them. Mine rarely (if ever) crash), I have never had a virus and I dont get lag and all the other things people complain of.

My dad has a mac and a PC. I have used his mac and I like it quite a lot. He bought a mac for his music studio and I will admit, it seems to run his studio more efficiently than his PC (but that could have been down to older hardware in his PC).

IMO, macs do niche things very well and certainly "look the part" in your home, unlike my bloody ugly tower PC. Apple know design, and they know how to do niche market stuff.

Would I like a mac for photoediting, damn straight I would, I would love that gorgeuos 27" screen all day long and it would look nice in my gadget ridden house.

The reason I dont have a mac is because I use my pc for internet browsing, photo editing, video editing, hacking consoles, media centre, running my business (and here is a REAL biggy) Gaming.

Can a mac do ALL of those better than a PC.... nope. Why? Simply because a mac is not a gaming platform AND FOR ME PERSONALLY... that is a biggy.

You need to decide what YOU want it for and its purpose in your life, as that is the ultimate decision.

As for the fanboys going on about how Windows is inferior to OSX... utter tosh. Each system has their own good points and bad points, it just depends on which one you use.

Bottom line, learn how to use a PC and its OS correctly and perhaps you might have a different opinion on the matter.

Without wanting to sound rude, most people who have problems with PC's just dont know how to use, configure and maintain them properly.

I dont know about anyone else, but when i buy something i want to be able to use it without having to study for a qualification in it to make it work properly.

I use my laptop to run my business and earn money. If I have to spend time configuring it then my competitors have already beaten me.

i will always have PC's as main computers and i might consider a mac for photo editing but to be honest mac's arent the bee knees as people make out to be.

mac's do get viruses but they dont get them as much as PC's due to programming language. hackers would have to learn a whole new computer language and for what? 6% of the worlds mac owners. its not worth it, the average person would use a PC for banking and shopping etc.

as stated before macs have there own programming language which means not many people can make compatible products which in turn makes PC's compatible.

really the only reasons for mac is the design (although PC's can be in good design aswell) colour and the fact that they are sort of safer. i wouldnt buy a mac because although mac's have vivid colours i would still buy a nice monitor and have a powerful PC.

PC's common problem is viruses but thats down to easy programming languages and most people use PC's . PC's i do not find slow unless there is a fault and can easily cope with the speed.

now this one is debatible but some say that PC's have better graphics because they are gaming machines and use alot of intesive graphics. however i dont find this much different.

most people own PC's so there isnt a problem with compatibility issues with software and products.

i am not biased but these are my reasons and take them with enthusiasm.

In fact, you will probably find that the advent of mass internet is where the problems came from. Its not been the OS that have been the problem, but people being uneducated in how to use the internet safely...

For example. Here are some of the things my friends have come to me with:

1. Oh no!... I had a popup telling me my computer was infected with a virus and I should click here to install mega super XP antivirus to eradicate this infection. Oh, now my PC runs like crap, the internet doesnt work and more often than not it doesnt boot...

2. My mate gave me this cracked copy of photoshop and I installed it and now my computer runs like crap.

3. I downloaded a few games off bittorrent and my computer is running really slow

etc etc etc

Everyone blames XP or Vista for example for being crap, but if you do stuff like that you have to expect problems.

Again, most problems stem from poor use of the internet or untrsutworthy sources of software.

Rant over :D

You make some excellent points James, and without wanting to sound rude, most people don't want to learn to use and configure or even dare I say maintain them properly and take an MS qualification to do so! I drive two great cars, yet I haven't a clue how to configure or maintain them :LOL:

Most people want to switch them on and use them, and that's where Macs are great for a lot of people! Please note the emphasis on a lot of people ;)

As I have said elsewhere at the beginning of the topic there are plusses and minuses to both, the rest is just posturing, and certainly from your point gaming is one area where a Mac falls down. ;) :D

It's as others have said really, one mans meat and all that and certainly the OP has to go and make his own decisions :)

I dont know about anyone else, but when i buy something i want to be able to use it without having to study for a qualification in it to make it work properly.

I use my laptop to run my business and earn money. If I have to spend time configuring it then my competitors have already beaten me.

Then surely that proves the point that perhaps its not the platform of choice for you? And just because you dont have time to learn how to get the most out of it, it somehow makes it bad?

i can balls up a Mac a lot quicker than i can balls up an XP box :p

I think perhaps we have to admit that this is an issue where you will be in favour of one or the other. Some dont mind configuring things to get the best out of them and the odd bit of maintainence whereas others will just want to get on with it and not have to worry about the little issues.

Perhaps for me, its like going on a trackday...

I would be the kind of person who turns up in a slightly track worn Lotus.
Yes, sometimes it can be a pain in the bum and it doesnt always start. I always carry my tools in the boot and spend a fair bit of time under the engine, but when its running sweet it blows the competition away.

Others would turn up in a Porsche. Yes it certainly looks the part with its gleaming paint finish and flowing design, and it starts it starts everytime with precision relaibility. The problem is the drive is predictable and repeatable with similar results each time... its a safe bet.

Me, I would rather be in the Lotus anyday :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back