Macbook Pro - 2.5 i5 or the 2.9 i7?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I currently have a mid 2009 2.26Ghz MacBook Pro, which has been excellent from day one.

However, I am looking to upgrade and I'm not sure if I should go for the 13" i5 or spend a little more on the i7.

Realistically, I only use the laptop for surfing and Uni work - However, I do use Photoshop and Lightroom quite a lot.

Would I notice a big difference in the i5 over my current MBP? Or do I just go for the i7?

Either way, I would be upgrading the ram to 16GB - Not from apple of course. I have 8GB in mine now.

Thanks in advance.

You'll notice the extra two cores in image processing. I'd go with the i7

The 13" i7 is still a dual core (I only know as I'm weighing up whether to wait to save for the 15" for the quad core).

Apologies... I thought the OP meant a 15" i7 MBP...

I'd go for the i5, don't think it make a huge performance boost, save the money for more ram.

I'm using one i7 laptop but I limit the maximum performance due to the very loud annoying fan noise when running Photoshop, the i5 is probably cooler and more quiet.

dennis25 said:
I'd go for the i5, don't think it make a huge performance boost, save the money for more ram.

I'm using one i7 laptop but I limit the maximum performance due to the very loud annoying fan noise when running Photoshop, the i5 is probably cooler and more quiet.

There's no reason the i7 would run hotter.

Back