Macbook Pro and Lightroom

Stephen L

I asked a Stupid Question Once...
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
No
Anyone tried using Lightroom on a 15" Macbook Pro? Do/did you find the monitor size too restrictive? Does the Touchbar help or hinder? Trying to decide whether to get one of the new 2018 models or wait an indeterminate time for the rumoured iMac revisions to appear.

I find LR fine on the 12" Macbook and the 13" Macbook pro (but not any MB Air) so the 15" should be fine but obviously not the same as using an iMac (although I'm as happy to use a Macbook as my iMac to be honest).

Touchbar, never use it for anything other than things actual buttons would be better for. IME the only thing it is good for is touch ID.

Anyone tried using Lightroom on a 15" Macbook Pro? Do/did you find the monitor size too restrictive? Does the Touchbar help or hinder? Trying to decide whether to get one of the new 2018 models or wait an indeterminate time for the rumoured iMac revisions to appear.

That depends on what your budget is, imo a laptop is secondary to a desktop. The latest iMacs won't be as cheap as the current refurbs if budget is a consideration.

Maybe get an iMac and a 12.9 iPad Pro as secondary, photoshop full will be out on iPad Pro soon. Quite a nice mobile option with cloud syncing between iMac and iPad.

Last edited:
That depends on what your budget is, imo a laptop is secondary to a desktop. The latest iMacs won't be as cheap as the current refurbs if budget is a consideration.

Maybe get an iMac and a 12.9 iPad Pro as secondary, photoshop full will be out on iPad Pro soon. Quite a nice mobile option with cloud syncing between iMac and iPad.
Although I have an iPad Pro, I find it too limiting for LR editing, and I rarely need to use PS. Nor will there be a need, as any editing is done at home. Really the MBP would act as a substitute desktop, still using my 27" secondary monitor. I'm reluctant to put my money into a refurb iMac as I want to guard against obsolescence as much as possible. I could go for the current iMac on an i7 and 512Gb SSD, but it seems folly if for the same price I can get an MBP with the latest CPU. I need to decide soon as my current iMac is just hanging on.

Although I have an iPad Pro, I find it too limiting for LR editing, and I rarely need to use PS. Nor will there be a need, as any editing is done at home. Really the MBP would act as a substitute desktop, still using my 27" secondary monitor. I'm reluctant to put my money into a refurb iMac as I want to guard against obsolescence as much as possible. I could go for the current iMac on an i7 and 512Gb SSD, but it seems folly if for the same price I can get an MBP with the latest CPU. I need to decide soon as my current iMac is just hanging on.

Id personally wait till sept.

I’ve used my 2012 15” MacBook Pro for a few years editing images with LR. I don’t have a problem with it been too small or too slow. I runs High Sierra and the main hard drive is a 1tb Samsung SSD. it’s pretty fast.

Back