MACBOOK PRO

What features of the OS do you mean? (serious question) I sit at a PC for far too long in a day and all I ever do is use applications that are the same on Windows and Mac (PS, LR, chrome, thunderbird, MS Office, skype). I have a virtual window manager that allows me to have multiple screens (virtuawin), I have a remote host program running (which I guess a mac has) and I have some monitoring tools in a set of gadgets. I also run command line terminals (again I guess a mac has this). 95% of my work day would probably be identical if I were on a Mac. The other 5% would get sorted pretty quickly. It's just windows and apps after all...

it's all subtle things

it's nothing you can't do on ether system, it's just the way you do them.

some examples

time machine - the way it works and is part of the system so I can use it natively in iPhoto and other iLife programs

Finder and the keyboard shortcuts, the various ways of displaying data, spring loaded folders and lots of other little differences

dashboard and the gestures on my magic mouse and trackpad to get them running

stuff like the fact when I have a file selected and I want to change the name of it I can just press Enter and it goes into rename mode but the filename is automatically not selected - really specific stuff like this rather than having to press f2 and unselect the filename.

when I use iLife products they are all integrated and i can access the events from iphoto in other ilife products, in the same interface

So it's nothing that windows can't do, but the way that things are done if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
So it's nothing that windows can't do, but the way that things are done if you know what I mean.
Yup... I think I'm old school though - I tend to do most stuff via the command line as it tends to be quicker for me.

I've been working with computers too long.............. :bonk:

I purchased the Dell today

my condolences

T-cheek.gif

Have had MacBooks for ages, go to an apple store and use the track pad, you can find loads of PC, but Apple are the only ones who track pad that is simply stunning. And the reason for this is they make the hardware their software runs on, nuff said

What's the advantages of a Trackpad? In comparison to say a Sony Vaio?

No trackpad compares with using a mouse.

Mice are nice if you have the space and a flat surface, but if you're going to use a trackpad then you might as well have the best and that's where Apple have it sewn up, if the PC laptops I've seen lately are anything to go by....

I wouldn't be able to cope for long without an ultra sensitive mouse plugged in. It speeds everything up, and certain things you just can't do without a mouse. - Gaming for example.

If someone invents a trackpad with the same control as a mouse, that could be used as a full substitute for everything, then sure I will use one. One doesn't exist like that yet.

Mice are nice if you have the space and a flat surface, but if you're going to use a trackpad then you might as well have the best and that's where Apple have it sewn up if the PC laptops I've seen lately are anything to go by....

I like their trackpads more, but personally it wouldn't make much difference to me as I always have a mouse plugged in.

Out of interest, when you plug a mouse into a macbook, will it disable the trackpad?

I wouldn't be able to cope for long without an ultra sensitive mouse plugged in. It speeds everything up, and certain things you just can't do without a mouse. - Gaming for example.

If someone invents a trackpad with the same control as a mouse, that could be used as a full substitute for everything, then sure I will use one. One doesn't exist like that yet.

Do people still use computers for games? Thought everything had gone to consoles and people making body movements in front of the telly...:)

Do people still use computers for games? Thought everything had gone to consoles and people making body movements in front of the telly...:)

yeah really, PC games, whats the point, personally i buy a new bit off camera kit and go out and shoot something, who wants to sit in a virtual reality environment, with a PC and a mouse, when you could be in the local pub, supping a pint after a nice day out shooting with a new bit off Kit,

editing on a Mac with a fab trackpad...

yeah really, PC games, whats the point, personally i buy a new bit off camera kit and go out and shoot something, who wants to sit in a virtual reality environment, with a PC and a mouse, when you could be in the local pub, supping a pint after a nice day out shooting with a new bit off Kit,

editing on a Mac with a fab trackpad...

Woah there - let's not write gaming off quite yet :).... consoles are great, very communal with the right games playing (but divisive with the wrong game), but PC gaming for me always smacked of saddos in cupboards playing dungeons & dragons online, and jerking off to the thought of the latest graphics card as they pawed their Games Workshop catalogue:LOL:

editing on a Mac with a fab trackpad too.... :)

Not quite, consider how mind numbingly ignorant your statements were.

Mice suck when you don't have somewhere flat and clean to put them, with is the situation 95% of the time I'm using a laptop.

call me old fashioned, "Talk Photography"..

and there was me thinking this was a forum on the technology of helping with Photography...

i guess ill leave you to your gaming and go do some Photography instead...

and there was me thinking this was a forum on the technology of helping with Photography...

Haha, how old are you?

Mice suck when you don't have somewhere flat and clean to put them, with is the situation 95% of the time I'm using a laptop.

100% of the time your laptop should be on a flat surface ;). Admittedly not always space for a mouse, but the last place a laptop should be is in fact... on your lap.

Basically putting it on a non flat surface, such as your lap, or on a bed, blocks up the vents and causes overheating - reducing the life of your laptop.

Don't be childish. Also, try and think about what you're saying before you click "Submit Reply."

Not quite, consider how mind numbingly ignorant your statements were.

Enlighten me please? Was it the D&D reference, or that to GW that upset you? Or was it the fact you didn't see the emoticons that placed in there to signify my light-hearted take on things.....

Enlighten me please? Was it the D&D reference, or that to GW that upset you? Or was it the fact you didn't see the emoticons that placed in there to signify my light-hearted take on things.....

It was mainly Lambiepie's comment that annoyed me, I realise you weren't condemning all PC gamers, but the mixture of both comments annoyed me.

I've never played D&D, although when I was about 10 I did once buy some GW stuff. ;)

PC Gaming is a huge industry, with a huge variety of people who buy games. I know game retailers like to pretend PCs don't exist any more, but in reality consoles are becoming more like standard computers.

Steam controls about 70% of all digital games sales

100% of the time your laptop should be on a flat surface ;). Admittedly not always space for a mouse, but the last place a laptop should be is in fact... on your lap.

Basically putting it on a non flat surface, such as your lap, or on a bed, blocks up the vents and causes overheating - reducing the life of your laptop.

Don't be childish. Also, try and think about what you're saying before you click "Submit Reply."

i love the fact that we are all being a bit tongue in Cheek and your getting all fiery and worked up, really, its just a forum mate, don't take life too serious for god sake..

this is one off the reason forums get the rep for being full off geeky people, honestly...

i never think when i hit reply...its funny how it annoys you that someone can be so blasé with something as important as a forum on the interwebs..imagine if this was a forum on the cure for cancer you would be screaming at your PC by now, or would that be just because its crashed again and your Mouse wont work..

Aren't you a clever boy, second guessing how I use my laptops. I use my portables in labs, meetings and on the train and at home next to my desktop computer and my laptop is on a flat surface but there's no room for a mouse.

i love the fact that we are all being a bit tongue in Cheek and your getting all fiery and worked up, really, its just a forum mate, don't take life too serious for god sake..

this is one off the reason forums get the rep for being full off geeky people, honestly...

i never think when i hit reply...its funny how it annoys you that someone can be so blasé with something as important as a forum on the interwebs..imagine if this was a forum on the cure for cancer you would be screaming at your PC by now, or would that be just because its crashed again and your Mouse wont work..

Actually, it's a conversation between human beings. The fact the medium is an internet forum doesn't make any difference.

If you repeatedly sterotype, regardless of the medium you are doing it, then it's going to come off as ignorant and childish.

Aren't you a clever boy, second guessing how I use my laptops. I use my portables in labs, meetings and on the train and at home next to my desktop computer and my laptop is on a flat surface but there's no room for a mouse.

It was a general comment. I wasn't trying to suggest that you always used your laptop on a bed and smothered the vents with dust and foam.

how do you know i am not ignorant and childish, personally i don't care if anyone is, i am quite accepting off the fact that as HumanBeings we are all different, and i accept that people are different,

and as for your statement about laptop life, i work in USA and europe, spend very little time if any in UK, i work in very harsh dirty dusty hot and humid environments, and have my laptop in use or plugged in charging in various different electrical quality situations, i have had power spikes and brown outs and honestly never had a problem because i didn't use a flat service,
i walk around with it switched on, upside down, grasped by one hand, dangling from truss, underneath things, in holes, on the move in vehicles and planes and everything is fine, above 36000 feet which is out side of the parameters of moist modern computing machines, in environments down as low as -35 c...

maybe its because its a Mac, it has no problems, if your tied to a smooth flat surface with a mouse, perhaps you should buy a desktop machine and stop presuming that every one who has a laptop is an idiot...

stop presuming that every one who has a laptop is an idiot...

Since when did I do that?

Ironic that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheesh... You leave for a few hours and it's like we're in kindergarten again.

Back on topic. If the real advantage is the trackpad, then that's one expensive trackpad....

BTW, I'm with sg201 - mouse all the way if you want to do anything sensible.

Well, the rain is ****ing me off. ;)

About this:

and as for your statement about laptop life, i work in USA and europe, spend very little time if any in UK, i work in very harsh dirty dusty hot and humid environments, and have my laptop in use or plugged in charging in various different electrical quality situations, i have had power spikes and brown outs and honestly never had a problem because i didn't use a flat service,
i walk around with it switched on, upside down, grasped by one hand, dangling from truss, underneath things, in holes, on the move in vehicles and planes and everything is fine, above 36000 feet which is out side of the parameters of moist modern computing machines, in environments down as low as -35 c...

I'm not suggesting anyone is an idiot etc, but using a laptop in those conditions does reduce it's life.

MBP's are well engineered, and so are going to survive longer than a £300 laptop, but it will still reduce the life of the laptop.

--

I like kindergarten

basically i think the bottom line to this thread is "cost" personally speaking its never a cost issue, i cant always afford something, so i save, but i personaly believe why compromise, it might take longer to get there, but spend a little and live a little, after all we only get one crap at the whip, the default standing for a lot of PC users normally boils down to one thing and thats cost, and i think us Apple users are in too brackets, we either own it, or we are paying for it, but we have one thing in common, we have set aside the "Cost" factor (everyones reasons are different i am sure) and Purchased a Mac..

the debate can go on for years, i prefer m apple with its trackpad and enjoy using it..the cost is irrelevant and relative..if you cant afford it don't buy it, buy something you can afford and enjoy it like i enjoy mine..

But you'd also use a desktop too, where a mouse and a keyboard is a standard configuration.

I still need my computer to be portable - I use it more on tables where I can use a mouse, but I do still need to move it around with me.

But yes, I would prefer a laptop with a nicer touchpad to a horrible one.

could this be the first apple vs pc thread that was locked for something other than apple vs pc?

i hope so!!!!!!!!

Trackpad v Mouse is an important issue, integral to our standing as a society.

Back