Beginner Macbook spec for video processing

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - please would you be able to pass on some advice regarding the minimum spec I should be looking for to be able to process videos using Da Vinci Resolve or Adobe Premier Pro on a Macbook

Thanks in advance for your help

Any of them will work fine, although FCP X runs quicker than both of them, as it's more optimised.

A quad core, 16GB of RAM and a dedicated GPU would all be on my wishlist (and things my current one has), so you'd be looking at a 15" as the rest are all integrated GPU only.

the second from the top is more than up to the job, although the abandonment of ports on the brand new model is frankly ridiculous! get the last gen unless you want to carry a bag full of dongles around!

the second from the top is more than up to the job, although the abandonment of ports on the brand new model is frankly ridiculous! get the last gen unless you want to carry a bag full of dongles around!
And how often do you use your ports on the road?

Any of them will work, especially as PP is optimised for OpenCL as well.

Proxy file workflow means its even quicker.

If you are doing alot buy a desktop with dual graphics etc.

I've got one of the original rMBP and it handles video very well despite only having a 2.6GHz processor. ( OK it's not as fast as the iMac but it works well.) So I would think that any of the current range of MBP should be OK for you . If you haven't purchased any software , I would give Final Cut a try. The latest iteration ( 10.3) is a superb tool. Plus you can edit in FCPX , which I think is quicker to do than in Resolve, plus they both support round tripping to each other. So you can edit in FCPX and grade in Resolve then go back to FCPX . You can download a trial of FCPX from Apple.

Da Vinci resolve has an optimum set up guide.

I can't post the link as I'm a new member but It might help to search in Google for 'da Vinci resolve machine specs' and the link that takes you to dcinema.me will give you a great idea of what's important, especially the GPU.

I ended up buying a fully specced out iMac for video editing, initially from the advice in the da Vinci resolve set up guide, and it flys. Render times and playback at full HD are a piece of cake. I haven't done anything in 4K but I think my machine could handle it and be quite future proof.

I've been using FCPX by the way but resolve looked the business! When I get time I'll give it a real crack.

Last edited:
Back